Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1
azure1961p
Postmaster

Reged: 01/17/09

Loc: USA
Equatorial Platform Question
      #5496995 - 10/30/12 10:11 PM

Hi folks Im in the home stretch with my homemade equatorial platform. I have everything assembled ...abut 80% and all the parts. Problem is this...

Im using ac synchronous motors at 1/15 RPM [as opposed to stepper or the like]. The problem is that I need two stainless steel shafts .375" thick and just several inches long. They dont need to be knurled.

Where might I procure these and after i have the rods, where might I have them machined to fit the timing motors mentioned. They look like typical stepper type motors with the asymmetric casing and short drive rod poking out.

Thanks in advance!!

Pete

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
jsiska
professor emeritus

Reged: 07/12/06

Loc: NW Ohio
Re: Equatorial Platform Question new [Re: azure1961p]
      #5497121 - 10/31/12 12:18 AM

Speedy Metals

A year ago, I went to a local tool supply store and asked for recommendations for local machine shops. The first machine shop from the list the salesman gave me has been great and I've used them several times since. I'd recommend finding a local, to you, machine shop in the same way.

Edited by jsiska (10/31/12 12:20 AM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Pages: 1

Extra information
9 registered and 40 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 300

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics