Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Pauls72
professor emeritus

Reged: 10/28/07

Loc: LaPorte, IN
Re: Best grease possible for a mount new [Re: johntrob]
      #5498637 - 10/31/12 10:53 PM

Harbor Freight carries Super Lube for $5 a tube.
That's what I used on my LXD-55.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
EFT
Vendor - Deep Space Products

Reged: 05/07/07

Loc: Phoenix, AZ
Re: Best grease possible for a mount new [Re: orlyandico]
      #5498679 - 10/31/12 11:23 PM

Quote:

Oh and superlube is food safe. Smells pleasant too. I expect that means you can chomp on it without dying.

The fact that I am always getting it all over my hands makes this a plus for me.

EFT

Re: Best grease possible for a mount new [Re: Binojunky]
      #5498686 - 10/31/12 11:25 PM

Quote:

Probably going to get flamed for this but their is more rubbish talked about mount grease than just about any other thing,I worked as an industrial mechanic for years and also on cars, aircraft etc, any good quality light grease will be fine, the secret is to use it sparingly not slap it about willy nilly and stuff the whole tube into the mount then wonder why its running all over the place in hotter weather.One place I worked for had a large number of pick and place assembly robots running at high speed, using a steel worm and bronze worm wheel, they got checked maybe once a year and a dab of grease on the worm was enough to keep them in good shape and running sweet, again use sparingly, grease everywhere just attracts dirt and dust,DA.

My point exactly. Some greases may be better than others, but any grease overused is no good. I've seen it done and cleaned it and the dirt out of pleanty of mounts. The only stuff I really hate to see in mounts is white lithium. OK at first but like clay later on.

Ranger Tim
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 03/25/08

Loc: SE Idaho, USA
Re: Best grease possible for a mount new [Re: EFT]
      #5498755 - 11/01/12 12:06 AM

Another lube I use for worms is Magic Lube. It is used in pool pumps where the ceramic bearing is contacting the pump housing. It is mostly silicone. Vixen recommends a "gel-type silicone" for their worm assemblies. Me? I use Superlube for bearings and the Magic Lube for the worm. Both are synthetic and remain soft in cold weather, but don't run in warm weather. One tube of Superlube will last a lifetime.

blueman
Photon Catcher

Reged: 07/20/07

Loc: California
Re: Best grease possible for a mount new [Re: Ranger Tim]
      #5498769 - 11/01/12 12:14 AM

I use Slick-50 grease, works well, cost is marginal but comes in a regular lube gun tube. Losmandy recomended this grease and I have used it on every mount for years. It sticks to the part, does not separate or run.
Blueman

EFT

Re: Best grease possible for a mount new [Re: orlyandico]
      #5499212 - 11/01/12 11:07 AM

Quote:

all of the China mounts I've seen use ball bearings on both of the axes.

while my AP600 and my old Vixen GP both used plane bearings, which don't have balls or rollers. I guess a less charitable word for these would be "bushings" or "sleeve bearings."

i suspect these sleeve-type bearings aren't too amenable to thicker lubricants, hence my lack of success with superlube.

A very tight fit on metal bushings like those could be more problematic with a thicker grease.

Binojunky
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 12/25/10

Re: Best grease possible for a mount new [Re: EFT]
      #5499822 - 11/01/12 07:54 PM

The Superlube seems to get the most thumbs up, have to be fair years back I had a car that went through wheel bearings,used Superlube and it solved the problem,my local auto store has toothpaste sized tubes for about $5, looks like it would be good stuff for fishing reels etc,as Ed stated stay clear of the white lithium, its ok for around the home but will degrade over time.DA.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
26 registered and 37 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1536

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics