Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1
Lane
Post Laureate

Reged: 11/19/07

Loc: Frisco, Texas
T-Rex mount new
      #5496344 - 10/30/12 03:05 PM

Can anyone confirm that a T-Rex using the standard tripod (same tripod used on the ATLAS and CGEM) will handle a C11 or an AT152 with less than 2 seconds of damping time. Using VSP's of course.

My search for a super quiet heavy duty mount for traveling and camping has taken me from the DM6, to the GM-8, to the G11, and now to the T-Rex. The T-Rex definitely looks like the best option so far. I plan to order it with a Sky Commander so I can use my SkyFi/Sky Safari/iPad setup. I would appreciate it if anyone has any information to share on any other options that might be better than T-Rex or has any information about problems or issues with the T-Rex.

Thanks,
Lane

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
tonyt
professor emeritus

Reged: 09/02/09

Loc: Australia
Re: T-Rex mount new [Re: Lane]
      #5496779 - 10/30/12 07:53 PM

The tripod with legs extended is the weak point in the T-Rex setup. A Losmandy HD tripod fixes that but it's not practical for camping - you could try adding the TPI Astro spreader to the T-Rex/EQ6 tripod - it's supposed to work well but I haven't tried it.
http://www.tpiastro.com/spreaders.htm

BKBrown
Post Laureate

Reged: 08/23/09

Loc: Northern Virginia, USA
Re: T-Rex mount new [Re: tonyt]
      #5497022 - 10/30/12 10:33 PM

Quote:

The tripod with legs extended is the weak point in the T-Rex setup. A Losmandy HD tripod fixes that but it's not practical for camping - you could try adding the TPI Astro spreader to the T-Rex/EQ6 tripod - it's supposed to work well but I haven't tried it.
http://www.tpiastro.com/spreaders.htm

Hmmm, might not be practical for backpacking, but neither is a C11. The Losmandy HD tripod is very doable for car camping trips, I sometimes have two Atlas' on HDs in my car along with astro stuff and camping gear.

Clear Skies,
Brian

Lane
Post Laureate

Reged: 11/19/07

Loc: Frisco, Texas
Re: T-Rex mount new [Re: BKBrown]
      #5497102 - 10/31/12 12:01 AM

Thanks guys,

When I say camping, I mean car camping. My car is usually less than 20 feet from my tent. I gave up backpacking 10 years ago when I started having back problems. So my only concern is that it fits in the trunk with the rest of my gear.

That spreader does look like a good idea. I need one of those for my CGEM.

Where do you get an adapter to attach a T-Rex to a Losmandy HD Tripod?

tonyt
professor emeritus

Reged: 09/02/09

Loc: Australia
Re: T-Rex mount [Re: Lane]
      #5497223 - 10/31/12 01:59 AM

Quote:

Where do you get an adapter to attach a T-Rex to a Losmandy HD Tripod?

The Discmounts to Losmandy adapter can be used with the T-Rex. There are two kinds of adapters floating around, one with a flat top and one with a depression in the middle which could take the existing base on the T-Rex (with appropriate bolt). I think the adapter with depression is the newer one.

You can also order the T-Rex with either a standard base for the EQ6 tripod or a flat base. If you get the standard base you could switch between tripods without changing the base plate (providing the adapter has the centre depression). If you don't intend to use an EQ6 style tripod just order T-Rex with the flat base.

Edited by tonyt (10/31/12 02:02 AM)

Pages: 1

Extra information
17 registered and 42 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay, iceblaze 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 628

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics