Speciality Forums >> Astronomy Software & Computers

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)
Chucky
sage

Reged: 04/16/10

Loc: Dublin, Ohio
Ipad Mini arrives tomorrow
      #5498977 - 11/01/12 07:30 AM

Well my Ipad Mini arrives tomorrow from China via Japan via Alaska .... to Columbus, Ohio. Now that is a trip!

Anyway, I ordered it for my daughter - however I plan to check out SkySafari first with my DiscMount and several push to dobs. I'm sure I'll end up getting one for myself eventually.

The size will be sweet and allow for easy holding, easy mounting, and best of all it should play well now (and into the future) with various upgrades of SkySafari.

Yes it's more expensive than the Nexus, however, I believe the quality is truly awesome, and all the current apps which run on the larger Ipads will work fine on the Mini.

Anyone else getting the Mini?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
okieav8rAdministrator
I'd rather be flying!

Reged: 03/01/09

Loc: Oklahoma!
Re: Ipad Mini arrives tomorrow new [Re: Chucky]
      #5499038 - 11/01/12 09:00 AM

I'd consider it. I need to get down to best buy or the apple store to check them out. Looking forward to seeing what you think about it.

helpwanted
Post Laureate

Reged: 07/04/07

Loc: Phoenix, AZ
Re: Ipad Mini arrives tomorrow new [Re: okieav8r]
      #5499067 - 11/01/12 09:25 AM

I have the iPad 2 and the iPhone 4s, I look at it as, I don't need a bigger iPhone (5) or smaller iPad (mini).

core
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 02/23/08

Loc: Mostly in Norman, OK
      #5499115 - 11/01/12 10:00 AM

Quote:

Yes it's more expensive than the Nexus, however, I believe the quality is truly awesome, and all the current apps which run on the larger Ipads will work fine on the Mini.

It's an ipad, just another size (which SPJ said was DOA and nobody would want - okay, it's .9" bigger ) - remember the current advertising tag for the mini is "Every inch an iPad". That said, I should get mine later this month.

If you're using SkyWire, figure in another $30 for the Lightning to 30-pin Adapter. It's definitely going to make for a bulky connection if you go for the stub adapter, and add alot more stress to the port especially if you're hand-holding the device and jostling it about the whole night. Either have the mini mounted, get the $40 20cm adapter, or go with SkyFi.

Quality wise I'd be the first steer clear of "awesome" tag - over the past decade+ I've sent back MacBook, iMac, keyboard, iphones, ipads, AirPorts that had problems in/out-warranty than many other devices. That said, their customer service is Awesome!

Jeff Morgan
Postmaster

Reged: 09/28/03

Loc: Prescott, AZ
      #5499181 - 11/01/12 10:42 AM

I'll probably take the plunge on this one. The regular iPad didn't fit for me because I already have the MacBook Air and the iPhone.

The Mini seems "just right". It will fit easily in the pockets of my observing jacket and weighs less than many eyepieces. I might even remove the stitching from one of the eyepiece pockets on my Dark Sky Apparel hooded vest to fit the Mini.

Even on the ladder it should be a great platform for SkySafari.

btschumy
Vendor - Simulation Curriculum

Reged: 04/13/04

Loc: Longmont, CO, USA
Re: Ipad Mini arrives tomorrow new [Re: core]
      #5499249 - 11/01/12 11:26 AM

Quote:

If you're using SkyWire, figure in another $30 for the Lightning to 30-pin Adapter. It's definitely going to make for a bulky connection if you go for the stub adapter, and add alot more stress to the port especially if you're hand-holding the device and jostling it about the whole night. Either have the mini mounted, get the $40 20cm adapter, or go with SkyFi.

FYI: we are working on a SkyWire that uses the Lightning connector on one end. No adapter will be needed with this.

rboeAdministrator

Reged: 03/16/02

Loc: Phx, AZ
Re: Ipad Mini arrives tomorrow new [Re: Jeff Morgan]
      #5499258 - 11/01/12 11:31 AM

I'm considering it. Might wait until the mini II comes out. For some things the current iPad is just a wee bit too big. Like using as a GPS in the car. Was a bit much, but fun at first.

For Sky Safari, it's just a bit too big to hold up to the sky single handed. Darn thing slips then my finger hit something, typically the telescope connection feature so that menu comes up.

Traveling on the motorcycling; the mini would be a better fit for the tank bag too.

But the darn price point is high enough that I'm going to wait until the preceived need is higher.

Chucky
sage

Re: Ipad Mini arrives tomorrow new [Re: rboe]
      #5499465 - 11/01/12 02:58 PM

<< The Mini seems "just right". It will fit easily in the pockets of my observing jacket and weighs less than many eyepieces. I might even remove the stitching from one of the eyepiece pockets on my Dark Sky Apparel hooded vest to fit the Mini. >>

Jeff, I've thought this exact same thing actually. I'll be connecting via SkyFi like I currently can do with my Touch. I think the Mini will be right on the money for many users of Sky Safari.

PGW Steve
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 10/03/06

Loc: Winnipeg, Canada
      #5499521 - 11/01/12 03:26 PM

I've got an iPhone 4S and an iPad3. One is too small, the other too big, I think the iPad Goldilocks edition will be just right :-D

Still be able to put the iPad mini in a jacket pocket, I hate setting my iPad down.

deepskytraveler

Reged: 12/25/05

Loc: Worthington, OH
      #5499553 - 11/01/12 03:52 PM

Hey Chucky,

I'm seriously thinking about getting an iPad Mini, but first wanted to check it out at the Apple Store. Yes, I will have SkySafari Pro on it running with my Nexus wireless scope adapter. My crazy, off-the-cuff plan is to run MegaStar on the Mini using Splashtop, a remote desktop app. I have MegaStar (on a Windows 7 Pro laptop) running well on my iPhone with Splashtop. The major downside being there isn't enough real estate to effectively use it on the small iPhone display. So what do you think about this combo? Like you I think the Mini is going hit the sweet spot for size, weight, and usability at the scope, but I'm far from ready to give up using MegaStar with my 15". How long are you going to have your daughter's Mini in your possession? You want to do a coffee and show & tell Sunday morning?

Marky

Jeff Morgan
Postmaster

Reged: 09/28/03

Loc: Prescott, AZ
      #5499560 - 11/01/12 03:59 PM

Quote:

I'm considering it. Might wait until the mini II comes out.

Of course there is always a better model just around the corner .... but probably not any cheaper when we are talking about Apple.

rboeAdministrator

Reged: 03/16/02

Loc: Phx, AZ
Re: Ipad Mini arrives tomorrow new [Re: Jeff Morgan]
      #5499624 - 11/01/12 05:00 PM

Not likely to be cheaper; but I have no pressing need (shoot, took me until version 3 to pull the trigger on an iPad). iTouch, iPhone format is too small for me to mess with. iPad mini may still be too small, I'll have to check them out in person at some point.

kurat

Reged: 05/07/08

#5499932 - 11/01/12 09:06 PM

waiting eagerly for your review.

Chucky
sage

Re: Ipad Mini arrives tomorrow new [Re: kurat]
      #5500433 - 11/02/12 05:53 AM

<< Want to do a coffee and show & tell Sunday morning? >>

DeepSky Man - I'll give you a call soon. Please have the coffee ready!

core
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 02/23/08

Loc: Mostly in Norman, OK
      #5500641 - 11/02/12 10:05 AM

Quote:

Traveling on the motorcycling; the mini would be a better fit for the tank bag too.

But the darn price point is high enough that I'm going to wait until the preceived need is higher.

... you should give the Nexus7 a look; a refreshing change and both iOS and Android coexist nicely at our home.

Spaced
Post Laureate

Reged: 03/01/05

Loc: Tacoma, Washington, USA
Re: Ipad Mini arrives tomorrow new [Re: core]
      #5500721 - 11/02/12 11:13 AM

Quote:

Yes, and excitement runs high! It should be delivered around the late-middle of the month, but a couple of accessories I ordered might arrive today.

Chucky
sage

Re: Ipad Mini arrives tomorrow new [Re: Spaced]
      #5501031 - 11/02/12 02:12 PM

Using my new white Mini right now. SkySafari works just fine as you would expect. Perfect size.

btschumy
Vendor - Simulation Curriculum

Reged: 04/13/04

Loc: Longmont, CO, USA
      #5501402 - 11/02/12 07:11 PM

Quote:

Using my new white Mini right now. SkySafari works just fine as you would expect. Perfect size.

Glad to hear everything works on the mini. We don't have one yet for testing so we were going on faith.

Bill

Chucky
sage

Re: Ipad Mini arrives tomorrow new [Re: btschumy]
      #5502013 - 11/03/12 07:24 AM

Hi Bill. Yep, SF seems to work just fine. Spent a few more hours with it last night with the Mini. Later today, I plan to connect to my scope via SkyFi. Don't expect any problems.

Keep up the great work. I'll stick with Apple as I believe you guys tend to work better with their software...compared to Android.

kurat

Reged: 05/07/08

#5502804 - 11/03/12 06:50 PM

The ipad mini can replace an entire car in dash sound and mapping, for 329 bucks, its cost effective, Im assuming a-lot of people are going to do it, so be prepared to be, read-ended, side swiped and make sure the front airbags are ready for the head on, so you don't get killed while somebody is driving and using the word processor.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)

Extra information
3 registered and 10 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  richard7, kkokkolis 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4805

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics