Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home page

Astrophotography and Sketching >> Solar System Imaging & Processing

Pages: 1
Kokatha man
Postmaster

Reged: 09/13/09

Loc: "cooker-ta man" downunda...
Nice iR742nM...stil struggling with rgb Jupiters.. new
      #5497397 - 10/31/12 08:04 AM Attachment (57 downloads)

Well, another round of imaging from Tennant Creek in the Northern Territory this morning, and getting ready for tomorrow morning's session as we speak...

I think I've nailed why I keep on suspecting the transparency as a major impediment since we got here - most nights the image, while almost "there" lacks clarity.....as per my other thread there are these very strong "willy willies" (mini-tornadoes) just North of here in recently burnt-out scrub (lightning most probably) and they are dragging huge amounts of fine white ash up into the sky duiring the day.....

Anyway, we live in hope continually but I was pleased to bag a very good iR 742nM image this morning.....the RGB Jupiters are still lacking and the ones this morning weren't satisfactory re colour rendition, try as I might on the laptop..!

I'll blame the transparency but maybe it's my ineptness.....the ones of a couple of days ago etc didn't have quite the same problems with colour, but then again those willy willies weren't there a couple of days ago either...

Here's an rgb - nearest colour approximation I could get but as I said we keep on trying and maybe tonight's the night..!?!

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Kokatha man
Postmaster

Re: Nice iR742nM...stil struggling with rgb Jupiters.. new [Re: Kokatha man]
      #5497398 - 10/31/12 08:06 AM Attachment (50 downloads)

.....and the iR742nM - which I'm much more satisfied with..!

tjensen
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 02/16/05

Loc: Chapel Hill, NC
      #5497716 - 10/31/12 12:46 PM

Hey Darryl, Those look good to me. My last attempt at Jupiter ended in disaster. I'm hoping to have another crack in a day or two.
So you're dragging the C14 out into the wilderness? Brave lad. What mount are you using?
Cheers

lcd1080
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 06/03/10

Loc: Maryland, USA
Re: Nice iR742nM...stil struggling with rgb Jupiters.. new [Re: tjensen]
      #5497844 - 10/31/12 02:21 PM

Ah the trials and tribulations of being an "astronomer on wheels", who would have thought of dust devils lifting burnt out material into the atmosphere and thereby becoming a transparency issue? Nevertheless the 742 image is brimming over with detail; I wonder if the color issue could be repaired using the levels tool in Photoshop.

Pete.

Space Cowboy
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 05/30/10

Loc: Cheshire, UK
Re: Nice iR742nM...stil struggling with rgb Jupiters.. new [Re: lcd1080]
      #5498047 - 10/31/12 04:28 PM

Great detail on that IR shot despite your Willy trouble, hope it clears up soon Darryl

DesertRat
Post Laureate

Reged: 06/18/06

Loc: Valley of the Sun
Re: Nice iR742nM...stil struggling with rgb Jupiters.. new [Re: Space Cowboy]
      #5498292 - 10/31/12 07:09 PM

Good work Darryl. We have every confidence in you that the color issue will be solved!

The basic problem I find is that varying seeing and transparency from day to day requires different sharpening processes. This almost always manipulates the histogram in the three layers and so when combined you have the color matching problem.

Glenn

Kokatha man
Postmaster

Re: Nice iR742nM...stil struggling with rgb Jupiters.. new [Re: DesertRat]
      #5498443 - 10/31/12 08:50 PM

Thanks Tim, Pete, Stuart & Glenn!

Tim, still using the NEQ6pro...I had to run the counterweights higher "up" the bar to stop them striking the tripod leg because of the PA angle being much lower from the latitude up here compared to home (why I came here! )

This meant an additional weight for balance but it seems to have helped the mount even more when balanced properly - it is no trouble to get a really healthy smooth "whirring" from it even when slewing at the highest rate..!

Pete & Glenn, I reckon it's solvable but my energy levels aren't such that I want to spend too much time atm doing so.....it's hard enough trying to get enough sleep during constant high temperature days in the old van even though the aircon is working reasonably well...

I believe you're spot on there Glenn - I think you expressed this to me once before and I was musing on another variation of the processing for each channel individually: I deliberately tried to restrain things but I'll go back when/if energised enough and try again!

Stuart, there's enough willies around here for everyone.....just let me know if you'd like to upsize your own and I'll see what I can arrange..!

BKBrown
Post Laureate

Reged: 08/23/09

Loc: Northern Virginia, USA
      #5498553 - 10/31/12 10:06 PM

Hang in there Darryl, it will all come together...probably when you least expect it And that IR capture is chock full of tasty detail, looking quite good sir.

Clear Skies,
Brian

Jay B

Reged: 07/15/08

Loc: Richmond, Virginia USA
Re: Nice iR742nM...stil struggling with rgb Jupiters.. new [Re: BKBrown]
      #5498563 - 10/31/12 10:10 PM

Both look nice to me. I like the detail in the 742. Color is over-rated anyways.
Jay

Kokatha man
Postmaster

Re: Nice iR742nM...stil struggling with rgb Jupiters.. [Re: Jay B]
      #5499888 - 11/01/12 08:42 PM

Thanks Brian and Jay - at 5am today we had decided to head home tonight around midnight but now, a few hours later we think we may stay for the next 2 nights and start out for home around midnight on the 3rd night. (Sunday night)

Weather predictions are a bit of a mixed bag and being unfamiliar with the area it's hard to discern exactly what the possibilities are (now that's an oxymoron!)

But we'll mull on it over the next few hours!!!

claytonbigwood
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 11/06/08

Loc: Adelaide, South Australia
      #5503354 - 11/04/12 02:03 AM

Sorry I missed this earlier Darryl
As has been said "Nice IR"
Shame about the seeing

claytonbigwood
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 11/06/08

Loc: Adelaide, South Australia
Re: Nice iR742nM...stil struggling with rgb Jupiters.. new [Re: claytonbigwood]
      #5503357 - 11/04/12 02:12 AM

Hope you have a good trip home

Kokatha man
Postmaster

Re: Nice iR742nM...stil struggling with rgb Jupiters.. new [Re: claytonbigwood]
      #5503404 - 11/04/12 04:50 AM

Thanks Rob - I reckon if transparency had been a bit higher a couple of those nights might've been quite good.....we stayed the extra couple of nights despite the wet weather threatening and last night wasn't terrible - but we got cut off by clouds as things started to look promising...

At least we confirmed the Flea3 is still working ok and this evening we had some blessed rain - no torrential monsoon downpours but despite the cloud-covered sky and Skippy's dire predictions about said, we live in hope that a break might open up in the morning.....and with the rain we've had it just might scrub the air somewhat..!

We leave here heading for Alice around midnight tomorrow night!

Pages: 1

Extra information
5 registered and 23 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TG, Starman81, bilgebay, WOBentley 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 784

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics