Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Astrophotography and Sketching >> Sketching

Pages: 1
Asbytec
Guy in a furry hat

Reged: 08/08/07

Loc: La Union, PI
Jupiter GRS 1 Nov
      #5500447 - 11/02/12 06:18 AM Attachment (41 downloads)

Well, weather cleared and I managed to struggle outside as the GRS was just passing the meridian under pretty good seeing (about 8/10.)

Really got a pretty good look at the GRS wake. Seemed pretty fragmented across the north and soft south. Still getting that two toned GRS appearance. Again, not sure there is any detail seen in the GRS itself, suspect a contrast illusion. Oval BA is apparent, the smaller oval near it is seen only at the best moments.

Could not make out much in the NEB, but suspect a darker southern edge with some darker, indistinct variations along it's length. The two festoons preceding the GRS are noticeably further ahead than a few nights ago. Another festoon was near the trailing edge, almost in what looked like a notch in the NEB southern edge.

The NTB appeared a very weak two tone, nothing really distinct.

150 Mak, 150 to 300x with best being closer to 200x using 12 and 18mm UO HD Orthos and shorty barlow. Oh, maybe it's convention to post observations with the south pole up.

Anyway, thanks for taking the time.

Edited by Asbytec (11/02/12 07:16 AM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
niteskystargazer
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 10/05/09

Loc: 41-43'-28" N 87-42'-39" W
Re: Jupiter GRS 1 Nov new [Re: Asbytec]
      #5500728 - 11/02/12 11:15 AM

Norme,

Very good sketch of Jupiter

CS,KLU,

Tom

Chopin
Canis Insanus

Reged: 02/03/05

Loc: In the doghouse.
Re: Jupiter GRS 1 Nov new [Re: niteskystargazer]
      #5500806 - 11/02/12 11:58 AM

Norme, I'm fascinated by the amount of detail in and around the GRS lately. I'll have to get out and observe this "contrast illusion" people are commenting on. Excellent color renditions to help separate the details, too.

Asbytec
Guy in a furry hat

Re: Jupiter GRS 1 Nov new [Re: Chopin]
      #5500811 - 11/02/12 12:00 PM

Wow, thank you all.

frank5817
Postmaster

Reged: 06/13/06

Loc: Illinois
      #5501530 - 11/02/12 08:31 PM

Norme,

Beautiful capture. Jupiter is putting on a nice show that I hope to see soon.

Frank

azure1961p
Postmaster

Reged: 01/17/09

Loc: USA
      #5501535 - 11/02/12 08:34 PM

Woops...actually thIS ones my fav Norme!!
Fantastic detail around the spots.
You rsally do produce some nice work.

Pete

Asbytec
Guy in a furry hat

Re: Jupiter GRS 1 Nov new [Re: azure1961p]
      #5501825 - 11/02/12 11:52 PM

Pete, last night I saw even more! Not the GRS, though. Seeing really cooperated at, seriously, about 9/10. Popped in about 300x and checked alignment on Aldebaran - bang! Rock steady Airy disc and first ring. Incredible. Sketch coming.

Frank, always enjoy your work. It was rather enjoyable last year. Now that our observing season is coming into bloom, should be fun. So, get some clear skies, will ya?

C_Moon
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 10/23/09

Loc: Beneath the arms of Cassiopeia
      #5502366 - 11/03/12 12:50 PM

Finally got a good night with Jupiter near zenith, the GRS center stage and seeing half way decent.

Anyway, wow, you're sketch is amazing!. Very close to what I saw. I was thinking of it as I was viewing.

Exciting for me as it was the first time I could definitively see Oval BA. Festoons were a bit tougher, could be seen only in moments of steadiness.

frank5817
Postmaster

Reged: 06/13/06

Loc: Illinois
Re: Jupiter GRS 1 Nov new [Re: C_Moon]
      #5502902 - 11/03/12 08:05 PM

Norme,

It is cloudy here again but November tends to be our cloudiest month with December not much better; so I've learned to relax and get caught up on other thing with one eye to the sky .... waiting.....waiting....

Frank

Asbytec
Guy in a furry hat

Re: Jupiter GRS 1 Nov new [Re: C_Moon]
      #5502987 - 11/03/12 08:59 PM

Paul, please post your observation. I love comparing and sharing our views. If it was very close to what you saw, that would be interesting.

Yea, Oval BA is easier than I always thought it should be. Observing it was a first for me, too. There are some very strong festoons opposite the GRS. Wait 'till you see them, the longest one I have personally seen is at about Sys I 170.

See if you can spot that darker oval near BA. I see it only a few times during the hour or so observing Jupiter. It's a difficult thing.

Understood, Frank. I do the same during our monsoon season. Now that the weather has broke, I cannot wait for sundown.

Edited by Asbytec (11/03/12 09:15 PM)

Glen A W
sage

Reged: 07/04/08

Loc: WEST VIRGINIA USA
      #5507615 - 11/06/12 10:08 PM

Looks great. I did observe the big planet about ten days ago and I have been struck lately by how the GRS is looking like a projection into the SEB, rather than a complete, whole spot within it. Your sketch looks like what I saw. GW

Asbytec
Guy in a furry hat

Re: Jupiter GRS 1 Nov new [Re: Glen A W]
      #5507654 - 11/06/12 10:38 PM

Absolutely, Glen. Good description and pleased you noted it, as well. Yea, it was confusing at first. It was much easier to see where the GRS is than the GRS itself. (Only a nerd would find that funny. Sheesh...I grew up to be a nerd.)

Not sure why that is. It could be a contrast effect with a pale GRS and the very bright band across the top. It could be that the GRS is actually darker along the bottom. Images don't really show this "two toned" appearance to be significant, but do show that bright band very well. There's some subtle differences, so not really sure what causes that appearance.

Edited by Asbytec (11/06/12 10:39 PM)

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 6 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  cildarith, JayinUT, WOBentley 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 892

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics