Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
andysea
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 09/03/10

Loc: Seattle, WA
Re: New AP Right Angle Polar Scope new [Re: FaronD]
      #5504213 - 11/04/12 04:48 PM

I have not used the pasill4 yet but it seems pretty inaccurate and wobbly compared to the tak. The new ra polar scope claims to be a lot more accurate.
It will be only as accurate as the initial calibration and subsequent leveling of the mount in the e-w direction. I think it would be prefect if it was rotatable and had a built in bubble level
Andy

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
FaronD
sage

Reged: 03/25/10

Loc: Richmond Hill, Ontario
Re: New AP Right Angle Polar Scope new [Re: andysea]
      #5504367 - 11/04/12 06:43 PM

Hi Andy, since both of us are unfamiliar with the Pasill4, these posts should be of some assistance.
Yahoo ap-gto #28881 & 35913

Faron

andysea
Pooh-Bah

#5504380 - 11/04/12 06:54 PM

Quote:

Hi Andy, since both of us are unfamiliar with the Pasill4, these posts should be of some assistance.
Yahoo ap-gto #28881 & 35913

Faron

Thanks Faron!
Howard's post is very helpful. Funny that he mentioned teflon tape.....I was on my way to the hardware store earlier today to get some teflon tape for that same tweak:)

Andy

andysea
Pooh-Bah

#5515115 - 11/11/12 09:29 PM

Hi Faron.
I followed Howard's suggestion about fine tuning the Pasill4L and this past friday I had my first light with the mount.
I did a 30 second polar alignment and it was precise enough to give me excellent goto's. Also the drift seemed to be minimal and very easy to guide out.
So thumbs up for the Pasill4 after the fine tuning!

Andy

Starhawk
Space Ranger

Reged: 09/16/08

Loc: Tucson, Arizona
      #5515174 - 11/11/12 10:15 PM

I just had quite a bit of discussion with George and Howard from AP- long story short, they say the right angle finder is good enough to do away with drift alignment hell.

-Rich

FaronD
sage

Reged: 03/25/10

Loc: Richmond Hill, Ontario
      #5515342 - 11/12/12 12:16 AM

Quote:

Hi Faron.
I followed Howard's suggestion about fine tuning the Pasill4L and this past friday I had my first light with the mount.
I did a 30 second polar alignment and it was precise enough to give me excellent goto's. Also the drift seemed to be minimal and very easy to guide out.
So thumbs up for the Pasill4 after the fine tuning!

Andy

That's great Andy! Tonight was the first opportunity for me to use my Pasill4. However, I only used it to put Polaris in the field of view of the polar scope. I probably won't have to use it much at all.

I purchased an excellent program called Alignmaster, I can't say enough about it. After only a few mins of polar aligning with the software, I was amazed at the accuracy. I'm still learning the whole package and my gotos are dead center already.

There wasn't time for a complete imaging session given the never ending cloud cover. I managed to take a 10min sub of M45 UNGUIDED to test it out. There was only the the slightest amount of rotation. The center stars were perfect. Once I add my autoguider to the package, this mount is going to be fantastic.

I'm ready to image!!

Faron

andysea
Pooh-Bah

#5516220 - 11/12/12 03:36 PM

Yes I am familiar with align master. It's a very clever program. If I remember well the only issue that I had is that the mount had to be perfectly level on order for it to be accurate. Well, not really an issue but I would prefer to to have to worry about leveling the mount.

Andy

andysea
Pooh-Bah

Re: New AP Right Angle Polar Scope new [Re: Starhawk]
      #5516227 - 11/12/12 03:41 PM

Quote:

I just had quite a bit of discussion with George and Howard from AP- long story short, they say the right angle finder is good enough to do away with drift alignment hell.

-Rich

Hi Rich,
Yes that't what I was told too. However I think the PASILL4L gives me enough accuracy that I am able to guide out any residual drift plus I don't have to worry about setting the mount level int he E-W direction. I can see how a more accurate alignment would be necessary if one wanted to shoot unguided, but other than that the standard polar scope seems to be sufficient for most imaging purposes. What do you think?

Andy

mewmartigan
professor emeritus

Reged: 07/02/08

#5518141 - 11/13/12 03:23 PM

I would love the new right angle scope.

I have the PASIL4L and its okay but I was never able to get it centered properly so it didn't shift when you rotate the scope to get the big dipper where it should be each night. i tried all the tricks with tape, spoke to AP on the phone, etc. Never got it aligned all that well. Maybe its just me

Dave MModerator
Postmaster

Reged: 08/03/04

Loc: Ohio
Re: New AP Right Angle Polar Scope new [Re: mewmartigan]
      #5546884 - 11/30/12 09:53 AM

Just wondering if anyone received thier new Right Angle polar scope yet.
Web site now shows " late December " but i think thats
for those on the list for the second batch.

Starhawk
Space Ranger

Reged: 09/16/08

Loc: Tucson, Arizona
Re: New AP Right Angle Polar Scope new [Re: Dave M]
      #5547013 - 11/30/12 11:33 AM

I've always ended up doing a full drift alignment with or without a polar alignment scope. I am still personally at the point of needing to see a polar scope give an alignment good enough to do that on the first try.

The time-wise reticle in the new AP alignment scope makes a lot of the guesswork as to where Polaris should appear go away- so I'm not saying what they are doing is impossible, it's just I've had a lot of disappointment in the quality of polar scope alignments. The worst effect is swirl in the image, which becomes a bigger problem the wider your field of view is, so it's not really fixable by guiding alone.

I'm wondering how hard it is to change reticles in another polar finder just to be able to watch the alignment accuracy and see if the AP method by itself really is that accurate.

-Rich

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
14 registered and 25 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2912

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics