Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
FaronD
sage

Reged: 03/25/10

Loc: Richmond Hill, Ontario
Re: What Would You Do (Astro-Physics Parts Missing) new [Re: Jon Isaacs]
      #5509975 - 11/08/12 01:28 PM

Hi Jon, thank you for the thoughtful reply, and to the others as well. The reason for this post was to get some opinions on the tripod marks not so much on purchasing the knobs(the knobs are $7.00 each by the way). The marks were described as normal due to the metal being soft when, in fact, the marks are from the original owner using bolts instead of knobs. I was contemplating sending the tripod back to him and ordering a new one since it was misrepresented. I needed a little help making up my mind. I picked up some 5/16" bolts and knobs but they were hard plastic and may actually slip as the temps drop. AP knobs are rubberized and grip really well and do not leave impressions marks as in the photo.

At the time of the post, I was disappointed the marks were there due to negligence and NOT from normal use. Since then everything has been worked out, the knobs are on the way. I've accepted the fact that the marks are there. I'm not asking for compensation, I'm going to use this kit and enjoy it

Any future post regarding this mount, surely will be about alignment procedures
Let's close this one.

Thanks,
Faron

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
BlueGrass
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 07/25/09

Loc: Wasatch Front, UT
Re: What Would You Do (Astro-Physics Parts Missing) new [Re: FaronD]
      #5510809 - 11/08/12 11:22 PM

Faron,
That's a positive attitude to take and I hope your Mach1 performs up to its capabilities. You've got a great combo there (Tak / AP) ... Good luck!

Jon Isaacs
Postmaster

Reged: 06/16/04

Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA
Re: What Would You Do (Astro-Physics Parts Missing) new [Re: FaronD]
      #5511086 - 11/09/12 07:03 AM

Quote:

At the time of the post, I was disappointed the marks were there due to negligence and NOT from normal use. Since then everything has been worked out, the knobs are on the way. I've accepted the fact that the marks are there. I'm not asking for compensation, I'm going to use this kit and enjoy it

The key to avoiding marks is making sure there is a sufficiently thick washer under the fastener... The washer not only spreads the load but acts as a bearing to isolate the twisting of the bolt head from the leg.

Jon

EddWen
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 04/26/08

Re: What Would You Do (Astro-Physics Parts Missing) new [Re: Jon Isaacs]
      #5511474 - 11/09/12 11:37 AM

Quote:

Quote:

The key to avoiding marks is making sure there is a sufficiently thick washer under the fastener... The washer not only spreads the load but acts as a bearing to isolate the twisting of the bolt head from the leg.

Jon

I'm not sure exactly what knobs are referred to, but A-P supplies washers for their knobs that hold the mount to the adapter plate. And, because the washers are 'punched' out of raw material and have a bit of curve to them, they tell you in the manual which side to face down to prevent making marks. Attention to detail, no?

edit: BTW, both my mounts were bought used and showed marking from the washers being used inproperly. Less attention to detail by the original owners.

Edited by EddWen (11/09/12 11:41 AM)

M13 Observer
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 12/09/06

Re: What Would You Do (Astro-Physics Parts Missing) new [Re: EddWen]
      #5511664 - 11/09/12 01:24 PM

Quote:

I'm not sure exactly what knobs are referred to, but A-P supplies washers for their knobs that hold the mount to the adapter plate. And, because the washers are 'punched' out of raw material and have a bit of curve to them, they tell you in the manual which side to face down to prevent making marks. Attention to detail, no?

edit: BTW, both my mounts were bought used and showed marking from the washers being used inproperly. Less attention to detail by the original owners.

The washers are standard stainless steel fender washers, available from several suppliers in quantity but not as easy to find in small numbers. Yes, they are made by punching them out of a strip or sheet of the correct thickness of stainless steel which leaves a very small curved edge on one side and a sharp edge on the stamped side. The two sides are quite easy to differentiate by feel.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
25 registered and 41 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2160

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics