Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home page

Speciality Forums >> Astronomy Clubs and Star Parties

Pages: << 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | >> (show all)
Dragonwatcher
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 01/21/08

Loc: Coupeville, WA
Re: Pacific NW Mt St Helens EternaThread Pt 6 new [Re: Spaced]
      #5499361 - 11/01/12 12:32 PM

Yep. Nice EP collection. The only Delos I have is the 10mm & I haven't had a chance to use it. I have too many EPs at this point and I may shed a few but, but the only focal length I might add is the 17mm. I'm undecided whether to go for the Delos 17.3 or save up for the Ethos.

I might mention I am moving to Coupeville on Whidbey Island next spring. Anyone know of good public viewing sites over there outside of Deception Pass Park that would be safe? I suspect I will be driving by Herb York's gun shop much more frequently (e.g. you see it from Highway #2).

I do know I can at least see the Milky Way on Whidbey, an impossibility from my current Kirkland location.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Dragonwatcher
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Pacific NW Mt St Helens EternaThread Pt 6 new [Re: Dragonwatcher]
      #5499367 - 11/01/12 12:41 PM

On a totally unrelated topic, I am considering if my "handle" is appropriate anymore. I chose it because of the dragon (Draco)constellation that surrounds Polaris. The choice wasn't because I am particularly fond of that constellation but because it fit my (then) hobby of pewter dragon collecting. At one time I had over 2,000 pewter dragon figurines collected over many years from many states and several countries.

After I sell 5 or 6 more figurines, I will be down to 4 "keeper" pewter figurines and one huge bronze dragon - done in anticipation of the Coupeville move.

I guess my Dragonwatcher label now will solely refer to the constellation!

MadHungarian
sage

Reged: 11/18/10

Loc: Rainy WA
      #5499497 - 11/01/12 03:14 PM

Quote:

Wow, Emery, that's a lot of glass! I'm really curious about the Delos line -- I haven't looked through one yet. And I see you have a 41 Pan . . . that's big view of the sky; I love mine.

It IS a bit of glass. The 41mm Panoptic works great with a bigger SCT, where you can open up a full 2" light path to it, and the f10 focal length makes a 4.1mm exit pupil.

Sky Captain
Metal Whisperer

Reged: 11/07/04

Loc: Loc: Loc:
      #5500299 - 11/02/12 01:13 AM

Quote:

Kerry, do you still have that, uh, "item" you acquired for me, or did it become history (which I could well understand)? If you still have it I'd like to meet up with you.

Still have...still needs a home.

Sky Captain
Metal Whisperer

Re: Pacific NW Mt St Helens EternaThread Pt 6 new [Re: Dragonwatcher]
      #5500305 - 11/02/12 01:17 AM

Quote:

On a totally unrelated topic, I am considering if my "handle" is appropriate anymore.

Around here, Cloudwatcher might be appropriate...

Spaced
Post Laureate

Reged: 03/01/05

Loc: Tacoma, Washington, USA
Re: Pacific NW Mt St Helens EternaThread Pt 6 new [Re: Sky Captain]
      #5500704 - 11/02/12 11:01 AM

Quote:

I might mention I am moving to Coupeville on Whidbey Island next spring. Anyone know of good public viewing sites over there outside of Deception Pass Park that would be safe?

Jackie, I think you should investigate Ft. Casey as a viewing site.

The field and parking lot by the gun emplacements seems ideally situated for viewing. I've was there in, IIRC, early Feb. 2011 at dusk and was very impressed with it as a possible viewing area. Visually, it occupies a "low" location with respect to trees to the east and gun emplacements to the west and south, blocking incident light but leaving a decently broad horizon. And of course it's quite some distance from the nearest town/city.

The potential problem with the site is that the park personnel close the gate to the area at dusk. However, it is certainly worth talking to rangers about letting you in if you promise to close the gate when you leave. They have some discretion to do so. (Of course when you go to talk to them you leave your usual Goth chains & studded bracelets & chokers at home.)

Dragonwatcher
Carpal Tunnel

#5500857 - 11/02/12 12:28 PM

Mike,

Do I even have to put on a hat to cover my mohawk and take my nose and lip earrings off? That's would make me feel so hypocritical!

Yes, that would be an awesome site. I can see Fort Casey from my Coupeville house as well as watch the ferry scoot back & forth to Pt Townsend. The only major drawback is that we are in the flight path of lowing flying Navy planes on training maneuvers that occasionally tend to rattle the house for a couple hours.

rwiederrich
Goldfinger

Reged: 11/17/05

Loc: Always Dark skies of Belfair W...
Re: Pacific NW Mt St Helens EternaThread Pt 6 [Re: Dragonwatcher]
      #5500926 - 11/02/12 01:00 PM

Quote:

Mike,

Do I even have to put on a hat to cover my mohawk and take my nose and lip earrings off? That's would make me feel so hypocritical!

Yes, that would be an awesome site. I can see Fort Casey from my Coupeville house as well as watch the ferry scoot back & forth to Pt Townsend. The only major drawback is that we are in the flight path of lowing flying Navy planes on training maneuvers that occasionally tend to rattle the house for a couple hours.

Not to mention the wind that can obscure your view..by keeping the atmosphere turbulent.

Good luck in your move.

Spaced
Post Laureate

Reged: 03/01/05

Loc: Tacoma, Washington, USA
      #5501157 - 11/02/12 03:56 PM

Why do you think the rangers wear hats?

Stacy
Star Partyer

Reged: 09/15/02

Loc: Seattle, WA
Re: Pacific NW Mt St Helens EternaThread Pt 6 [Re: Spaced]
      #5501344 - 11/02/12 06:35 PM

Nice eyepieces! Hard to go wrong with black and green

I don't think it's possible to change your handle here without starting over... Congrats on your new home Jackie! Sounds like a nice place. Maybe a small star party worthy?

I have acquired a nice 2" Thousand Oaks OIII filter. Can't wait for summer!

Dragonwatcher
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Pacific NW Mt St Helens EternaThread Pt 6 [Re: Stacy]
      #5501366 - 11/02/12 06:46 PM

Quote:

I don't think it's possible to change your handle here without starting over... Congrats on your new home Jackie! Sounds like a nice place. Maybe a small star party worthy?

That's a thought. But the yard is small & all gravel. We wanted no maintenance. We don't move in until sometime this spring.

Quote:

I have acquired a nice 2" Thousand Oaks OIII filter. Can't wait for summer!

You are very optimistic about the weather!

rainycityastro
professor emeritus

Reged: 03/29/10

#5501396 - 11/02/12 07:06 PM

Great to see this thread still running with so much activity on it.
Last weekend I managed to escape the *BLEEP* weather here and head on out to sunny Santa Clara, CA. Not a cloud in sight but didnt look at any stars. Instead spent time ogling at telescopes at AIC 2012. Also learned a ton of interesting new tips regarding image processing.
It was great meeting several folks from CN in the flesh as well as the imaging "gods".

I brought back tons of pictures. Here is a small subset of those photos. Hope you all like!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ramv/sets/72157631883240573/

Sky Captain
Metal Whisperer

Re: Pacific NW Mt St Helens EternaThread Pt 6 [Re: rainycityastro]
      #5501844 - 11/03/12 12:14 AM

Thanks for the photo's Ram!!!
That 24" is amazing!

rwiederrich
Goldfinger

Reged: 11/17/05

Loc: Always Dark skies of Belfair W...
Re: Pacific NW Mt St Helens EternaThread Pt 6 [Re: Sky Captain]
      #5502352 - 11/03/12 12:39 PM

Quote:

Thanks for the photo's Ram!!!
That 24" is amazing!

Indeed...but with a 10~12" central obstruction..making it about a 13ish scope...in reality. What a trade off, for fast ratio and large aperture.

rainycityastro
professor emeritus

Re: Pacific NW Mt St Helens EternaThread Pt 6 [Re: rwiederrich]
      #5502512 - 11/03/12 02:43 PM

I had the opportunity to talk with Roland several times during the conference. His opinion was that a 7-8" APO would have tighter stars, larger field and higher real resolution than practically any other instrument including those beauties seen here when you take into consideration actual seeing in most places in the US.

The only problem is that 7-8" refractors are becoming increasingly harder to get and when one becomes available, they are as expensive as a very nice car.

Edited by rainycityastro (11/03/12 02:45 PM)

Stacy
Star Partyer

Reged: 09/15/02

Re: Pacific NW Mt St Helens EternaThread Pt 6 [Re: rwiederrich]
      #5502604 - 11/03/12 04:00 PM

Quote:

Indeed...but with a 10~12" central obstruction..making it about a 13ish scope...in reality. What a trade off, for fast ratio and large aperture.

Sorry, but the light grasp of that instrument would be far more than a 13" scope of any kind. Let's be realistic here...

bluedandelion
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 08/17/07

Loc: Hazy Hollow, Western WA
      #5503346 - 11/04/12 01:50 AM

I salivated all over my screen at the pictures Ram brought back.

Got a little time to redo an M57 capture from 2009 with a C9.25 at f/10 and a modified Canon 350D from Hazy Hollow. Total exposure was 45 minutes at ISO800. No filters were used.

This is a center crop.

Larger view on Flickr

Ajay

rainycityastro
professor emeritus

Re: Pacific NW Mt St Helens EternaThread Pt 6 [Re: bluedandelion]
      #5503369 - 11/04/12 02:43 AM

That's a gorgeous Ring nebula! Your processing skills have really taken off!

bluedandelion
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Pacific NW Mt St Helens EternaThread Pt 6 [Re: rainycityastro]
      #5503787 - 11/04/12 11:36 AM

Thank you Ram. If you have some time we should meet during the Christmas break and compare notes. I am sure you learned some cool tricks at the imaging conference.

Ajay

bluedandelion
Carpal Tunnel

#5503817 - 11/04/12 11:58 AM

About aperture: I have to disagree with Roland somewhat. I agree with his statement on the 6-7 inch unobstructed scope if image quality in terms of detail and contrast are all that mattered. This doesn't mean that you have to buy an AP refractor. Mak-Newts are known as the poor man's APO for a good reason. You lose very little contrast from the small central obstruction.

You can do great lunar and planetary work where seeing is of paramount importance with the most compromised design of all (the SCT) by using a webcam and the trickery of lucky imaging. People have done great w0rk with C9.25, C11 and C14.

As a visual astronomer if your goal is to spot the faintest fuzzies like some of the NGCs or ICs (not necessarily resolve all the details in said fuzzies) then the more aperture the better. So the type of viewing you plan to do makes a difference.

By the way did you all see Damian Peach's movie of Jupiter's full rotation? Here's the direct link to it - Incredible! All except one image used in the movie was hot with a 10 inch AP Mak-Cass at F14.6. These were all shot from Barbados where the seeing is supposed to be terrific.

Ajay

Pages: << 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | >> (show all)

Extra information
5 registered and 6 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  darklighteditor 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 70786

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics