Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Reflectors

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
spongebob@55
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 12/26/11

Loc: Bergen Co. New Jersey
Re: Have a CPC1100, Is getting 14" Dob unwise? new [Re: Bill Weir]
      #5502231 - 11/03/12 11:18 AM

They're there....... http://www.telescope.com/Telescopes/GoTo-Computerized-Telescopes/pc/1/15.uts

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
johnnyha
Postmaster

Reged: 11/12/06

Loc: Sherman Oaks, CA
Re: Have a CPC1100, Is getting 14" Dob unwise? [Re: spongebob@55]
      #5503348 - 11/04/12 01:53 AM

A 150 f5 will be 1/4 as dim as your 11" SCT and also show purple CA.

Lane
Post Laureate

Reged: 11/19/07

Loc: Frisco, Texas
Re: Have a CPC1100, Is getting 14" Dob unwise? new [Re: johnnyha]
      #5503370 - 11/04/12 02:45 AM

If you compare every Messier object in a C11 and 14" Dob you would be hard pressed to find a difference. In some of the galaxies you might see a tiny bit more structure but it will be a very small improvement. Even making this comparison to an 18" dob was surprising to me, the difference on brighter objects is miniscule. Where you will see a difference is when you look for very faint planetary nebulae and faint galaxies that you cannot find in your C11. There are hundreds of them visible in the 14 that are not visible in the 11. Another big difference is that the field view is going to be much better in the 14. So something like the Veil Nebula will be much more enjoyable to look at in a 14" dob.

Pinbout
Postmaster

Reged: 02/22/10

Loc: nj
Re: Have a CPC1100, Is getting 14" Dob unwise? new [Re: spongebob@55]
      #5503618 - 11/04/12 09:22 AM

hubble has a 14in on ebay.

astro sky sells 14in kit. $650

he'll glue and nail gun the wood for extra $100.

you'll have to put the uta together.

you also get %15 off all truss, focuser, spider, tailgate mirror cell and digital setting circles, when you buy the kit.

a much better telescope than the production scope orion sells.

auriga
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 03/02/06

#5503970 - 11/04/12 01:54 PM

Quote:

I've been out about 6 times with my newly acquired used CPC1100. Went to a few viewing parties and looked through a 15 or 16 dob and I was amazed. I also realized I really like DSOs. Would it be stupid to get an XX14g? I would have to get some other eyepieces too, right, since the scope is so fast? I can handle the weight of the CPC1100 just fine and it fits in my car just fine. Give me your opinions? Maybe sell the CPC1100 in lieu of the xx14g? I only had a little time with Jupiter and Saturn due to weather and personal responsibilities, and haven't seen the winter sky yet through my CPC1100. I live in a white/white area, but travel an hour to see better. I'm using a ST80 for a finderscope and I also have a ES102triplet that I just got. Maybe I'm over analyzing, but I like to do that. I'm retired now, so I have some time to read and educate myself. I already know I made some mistakes, so I'd to minimize new ones. I have ES 6.7, 14,and 24. I have a 8-9-24 baader zoom. Also TMB 5, 6,7,8, and 9mm. Also Smart Astonomy 12.5, 17, and 25mm. An old 7/8" Brandon and a 40?mm Jaegers. I'm sure I don't need all of these......... Let the opinions and guidance freely flow. Thanks!

Hi,
In your situation I would sell the 11" SCT and put the money toward a good quality American made 16" Dob, such as one by Dobstuff or Teeter or Starmaster, or Webster or Starstructure or jpastrocraft. And Obsession makes good 15" Dobs.

My rationale is this: a 16" would give a more worthwhile increase in aperture over an 11". I have gone from an 11 to a 16 and the difference has been truly remarkable. And a jump from 11 to 15 would also be worthwhile if you prefer Obsession Dobs.

I find that American made Dobs are not as heavy, and are better constructed in many ways than most or all Asian-made Dobs, and are consequently more expensive. I would sell the 11" SCT to fund the difference. Why not have one superb large scope rather than two lesser large scopes?

Or, as Achernar suggests, you could build your own 16" from quality components. I suggest a focal ratio of f4.5 (or even f/4), to avoid use of a ladder in most or all viewing positions.

Bill

spongebob@55
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 12/26/11

Loc: Bergen Co. New Jersey
Re: Have a CPC1100, Is getting 14" Dob unwise? new [Re: auriga]
      #5504035 - 11/04/12 02:38 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I've been out about 6 times with my newly acquired used CPC1100. Went to a few viewing parties and looked through a 15 or 16 dob and I was amazed. I also realized I really like DSOs. Would it be stupid to get an XX14g? I would have to get some other eyepieces too, right, since the scope is so fast? I can handle the weight of the CPC1100 just fine and it fits in my car just fine. Give me your opinions? Maybe sell the CPC1100 in lieu of the xx14g? I only had a little time with Jupiter and Saturn due to weather and personal responsibilities, and haven't seen the winter sky yet through my CPC1100. I live in a white/white area, but travel an hour to see better. I'm using a ST80 for a finderscope and I also have a ES102triplet that I just got. Maybe I'm over analyzing, but I like to do that. I'm retired now, so I have some time to read and educate myself. I already know I made some mistakes, so I'd to minimize new ones. I have ES 6.7, 14,and 24. I have a 8-9-24 baader zoom. Also TMB 5, 6,7,8, and 9mm. Also Smart Astonomy 12.5, 17, and 25mm. An old 7/8" Brandon and a 40?mm Jaegers. I'm sure I don't need all of these......... Let the opinions and guidance freely flow. Thanks!

Hi,
In your situation I would sell the 11" SCT and put the money toward a good quality American made 16" Dob, such as one by Dobstuff or Teeter or Starmaster, or Webster or Starstructure or jpastrocraft. And Obsession makes good 15" Dobs.

My rationale is this: a 16" would give a more worthwhile increase in aperture over an 11". I have gone from an 11 to a 16 and the difference has been truly remarkable. And a jump from 11 to 15 would also be worthwhile if you prefer Obsession Dobs.

I find that American made Dobs are not as heavy, and are better constructed in many ways than most or all Asian-made Dobs, and are consequently more expensive. I would sell the 11" SCT to fund the difference. Why not have one superb large scope rather than two lesser large scopes?

Or, as Achernar suggests, you could build your own 16" from quality components. I suggest a focal ratio of f4.5 (or even f/4), to avoid use of a ladder in most or all viewing positions.

Bill

Hey Bill. Interesting. I was talking it over with the wife as to where I would put 2 monsters. But I didn't think it was that much of a problem with that the Orion breaks down into nice 'little' packages with covers and the like. But still the packages are pretty big. I assume the dob makers you mention do the same. I'll have to look into it. As long as I can get some good views of the planets too, even though DSOs are much more for me. The scopes also must have 'go to'. I would also love to buy USA. Which one has the best customer service? Thanks!

auriga
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 03/02/06

#5504615 - 11/04/12 09:34 PM

HI,
All these scopes do in fact break down into smaller components, making them more compact, and easier to pack up. Since almost all Dobs can be stored pointed straight up, a Dob footprint is very small even when not disassembled.

From personal experience, Starmaster and jpastrocraft have great after-sales support.

From what I read on CN, Teeter, DobStuff, and Starstructure are very good too. The others I don't know about from personal experience or from CN forums.

Why not call up each of them and talk over your needs and see how they respond and what they feel they can do for you and at what cost. Some may be more flexible than others.

Good luck with your search,
Bill

Pinbout
Postmaster

Reged: 02/22/10

Loc: nj
Re: Have a CPC1100, Is getting 14" Dob unwise? new [Re: auriga]
      #5504631 - 11/04/12 09:40 PM

I believe astro sky makes the cells for other builders. He's always responded quickly to my emails.
and if you get the complete scope look at who makes his mirrors:

Ostshowski Optic Wave Zambuto

not bad choices.

GeneT
Ely Kid

Reged: 11/07/08

Loc: South Texas
      #5506013 - 11/05/12 09:32 PM

Quote:

Would it be stupid to get an XX14g

No. Another thought: why not keep your CPC1100 and get a 16 to 18 inch Dob? A long time ago, Peter Smitka told me that when I wanted to get a larger telescope, to double the light gathering area over my current telescope. That would mean going from a 12 incher to an 18, or thereabouts.

Dhellis59

Reged: 08/31/12

Re: Have a CPC1100, Is getting 14" Dob unwise? new [Re: Mike B]
      #5517606 - 11/13/12 10:14 AM

Patrick, You make a lot of sense with this response regarding it's a marathon and not a sprint.

Having only been in the hobby less than six months myself, I am already on my third real scope. Of course I am discounting the two toys I bought for my 7 year old that got me started! (Ok, one was for me, but it was a package deal!)

My current scope is a 10" Truss model Dob. Even still, I was recently preparing to invest in anohter larger Dob and had looked at some SCTs as well. Then I realized I have far better equipment than many of the famous predecessors in the hobby. It's not my equipment that needs improvement; it's the user!

Of course, on the other hand, if money and time were no object, I'd have a garage full of instruments!

Congratulations on your retirement Spongebob@55. Thanks for this post. The responses are insightful.

In my mst humblest of opinions, I would keep the CPC1100 and look to add a big dob when it's financially feasible. At that time, you will have the option of using the CPC for imaging or can invest in an observatory or just use it altenatively with the big dob. It's always fun to have options in my opinion.

However, if you exchange one for the other, you probably will miss attributes you did not realize you were forgoing. And, you can always sell it later.

Best of luck with whatever you decide.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
16 registered and 27 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  ausastronomer, Phillip Creed, JayinUT, okieav8r 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1963

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics