Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Video and Electronically Assisted Astronomy

Pages: << 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | (show all)
slipfit
journeyman

Reged: 04/02/12

Re: 17 sec (x1024) Camera Sony 960h Exview HAD CCD2 new [Re: ccs_hello]
      #5465634 - 10/11/12 04:28 PM

Thanks for the help. I tried what you said and got the same thing. I think it may be the converter. The computer sees the com port, but the signal is not coming thru. I have tried different software with no luck. I think I will get another converter and try that. Again thank you for the help.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
greg
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 01/25/05

Loc: Central Ca.
Re: 17 sec (x1024) Camera Sony 960h Exview HAD CCD2 [Re: Hemmi]
      #5503798 - 11/04/12 11:43 AM

Hi All,
Just wanted to bring this thread back to life.
I have this camera thanks to Mark in Temecula.
I am on vacation in Baja Ca. 15 miles NorthWest of La Paz Mexico Baja Ca. Around 70 miles north of Cabo at a Very Darksite with fast DSL connection.... So I will be broadcasting on Nightskiesnetwork user Name GregW.

La Paz light Dome to the South East effecting horizon to about 35*-40*, but the rest of the sky is dark, clear, and dry... MilkyWay is clear & Bright and stars are steady.

I was happy to see Orion VERY HIGH even near zenith, the horseHead should be Great, also southern objects will be in my grasp.... Helix will be high.... :O)
I have had great sucsess with this camera at home under light polluted skies using my 14.5" at f/2....
For this trip I have a CGE mount with guider, Meade 8" f/4 S/N... F/2 with reduction.

I will be using a CGE mount that I've only used twice and never with guiding, So any CGE users that are watching I may need some help to get up and running.

My mount has GPS and a Polar Alinment scope, so alignment will be good and GPS will set my location so I an hoping to be able to do long exposures.

Camera's include:
Sony 960 17 sec.
MallinCam X2
Starshoot Pro Color

GregW

Edited by greg (11/04/12 12:03 PM)

warbird

Reged: 12/19/07

Loc: Sweden
Re: 17 sec (x1024) Camera Sony 960h Exview HAD CCD2 new [Re: greg]
      #5545594 - 11/29/12 01:57 PM

I got my camera today and the housing is Very similar to my SCB-4000.

I am going to use one of them as a allsky camera and the other with my telescope. Or the other as allsky camera...? :-)

There has been some posts about remote control for this camera, and I can confirm that Camcontrol.exe (made for Samsung by Steve Uckerman)and a RS-485 converter works just fine.

Mats

QS3000

Reged: 02/21/09

Loc: Southern California
Re: 17 sec (x1024) Camera Sony 960h Exview HAD CCD2 new [Re: greg]
      #5545613 - 11/29/12 02:08 PM

Hi everyone.

Because of this thread I have spent the last week or so educating myself about Sony's various CCD boards. It has been my understanding that a lot of sellers (ebay, overseas, etc) try to sell "snake oil" and a lot of buyers expect to get top quality boards for very little money. I have a couple of questions for those that already have the "sensitive" cameras, but first a few links that I think should be extremely useful if you are searching for the proper CCD board to buy.

Sony's 960H CCD Image Sensor:
http://www.sony.net/Products/SC-HP/effiowld/products/ccd.html

Just by looking at the numbers it becomes obvious that the ICX672AKA (NTSC) / ICX673AKA (PAL) chip is the most sensitive.

Sony's Effio-series specs:
http://www.sony.net/Products/SC-HP/effiowld/products/spec.html

The numbers on that table suggest that we should be aiming for the Effio-P or Effio-S. The only advantage of the Effio-P is the real WDR, something that Effio-S does not come with. Hence various vendors came up with the term D-WDR (for digital WDR) that seems to be nothing more that nonsense.

An ebay search for Sony CCD boards:
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_stpos=&_sop=15&_fcid=1&gbr=1&...

To those that expect top notch CCD boards for no money I suggest a thorough reading of a long article by Nikolai Uvarov. Try googling the term "Nikolai Uvarov CCTV focus 23.pdf" and you will see what I mean. You need simple math skills to work the equations.

Last but not least a definition from my search results: "The wide dynamic range (WDR) function of a camera is intended to provide clear images even under back light circumstances where intensity of illumination can vary excessively, namely when there are both very bright and very dark areas simultaneously in the field of view of the camera. WDR enables the capture and display of both bright and dark areas in the same frame, in a way that there are details in both areas, i.e. bright areas are not saturated, and dark areas are not too dark."

Based on the specs from Sony's web site as well as the definition of WDR, I would say that WDR should not be important in astronomical use since everything out there is basically dark, with the exception of planets of course. Yet some users over here claim that the WDR range setting appears to be critical.

My questions: 1) Are you all 100% sure that the WDR setting is actually very critical? 2) Can someone open their camera and tell us if possible what type of Effio chip they have? You cannot see the writing on the sensor but the Effio chip is easy to read. It should be the CXD4129GG or the CXD4130GG. The CXD4140GG is useless for our purposes, in my opinion.

Thanks for your help.
DrF

James Cunningham
Post Laureate

Reged: 08/07/10

Loc: Maryland
Re: 17 sec (x1024) Camera Sony 960h Exview HAD CCD2 new [Re: warbird]
      #5545682 - 11/29/12 03:05 PM

I could not find a Samsung Camcontrol.exe. Can you give us the web page of it? Thanks.

warbird

Reged: 12/19/07

Loc: Sweden
Re: 17 sec (x1024) Camera Sony 960h Exview HAD CCD2 new [Re: James Cunningham]
      #5545713 - 11/29/12 03:27 PM

Quote:

I could not find a Samsung Camcontrol.exe. Can you give us the web page of it? Thanks.

Hi, if you do a search on: "SCB-4000 Camera Control Software... " in this forum, you will find a link to download on page two.

Note, it is not Samsungs software, it is Steve Uckermans!
Thanks Steve!!!

Edited by warbird (11/29/12 04:21 PM)

yaesu77

Reged: 11/04/12

Re: 17 sec (x1024) Camera Sony 960h Exview HAD CCD2 new [Re: warbird]
      #5547250 - 11/30/12 01:40 PM

Unfortunately, the camera has arrived but has 2 dead pixels, but now I'm negotiating with Elaine seems to want 40 usd for another camera.
Do you think is correct? This can put it in the trash.

core
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 02/23/08

Loc: Mostly in Norman, OK
Re: 17 sec (x1024) Camera Sony 960h Exview HAD CCD2 new [Re: yaesu77]
      #5547382 - 11/30/12 03:15 PM

Trash a camera because of 2 dead pixels?! Hope you're kidding $40 for a replacement camera (and you keep the dead pixel one) is pretty fair imho, I would jump on it. Oh, let me know if you're selling the current one ..

John59
sage

Reged: 11/06/11

Loc: Round Rock,TX
      #5547492 - 11/30/12 04:39 PM

Quote:

Unfortunately, the camera has arrived but has 2 dead pixels, but now I'm negotiating with Elaine seems to want 40 usd for another camera.
Do you think is correct? This can put it in the trash.

Every manufacturer has a quality control standard for "bright", "dark" and Total non-Functional Pixels.
big name manufactures that I Will not name directly here would be allowed up to 15 total dead pixels for shipment. Just look up quality for dead pixels on Google. When the Sony PSPs first came out years ago people were noticing the 2 or 3 dead pixels when the screen was totally black. These would never be visible during normal viewing (unless you were REALLY looking for them). Everyone was taking them back and the game companies not knowing any better were accepting them as faulty and handing out new ones. Some of these were worse than the last by one or two more pixels. The game companies would then turn these around as "used' selling well below the listed prices. I scooped up several knowing the dead pixel issues was just an acceptable standard with Sony and had no real effect on game play or movie viewing.
Some brands have very high standards but still allow for minimum of 3 pixels but also have a “how close they are to each other” standard as well. You pay for that standard too!
In short I would not worry about the two. Hot pixels will far outnumber them anyway.

barbarosa
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 04/11/10

Loc: "lamorinda", CA
Re: 17 sec (x1024) Camera Sony 960h Exview HAD CCD2 new [Re: core]
      #5547577 - 11/30/12 05:43 PM

She is offering you a more than fair deal, when we remember that these are $75 security cams. Mine has one dead and one stuck pixel, way better than my SCB-2000. Perhaps I had low expectations or was foolish not to complain, but you got yourself a genuine good deal pard.

This also speaks well for Elaine and the Miracle Cottage Trading Comapany (I love the name).

GlennLeDrew
Postmaster

Reged: 06/18/08

Loc: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Re: 17 sec (x1024) Camera Sony 960h Exview HAD CCD2 new [Re: barbarosa]
      #5548201 - 12/01/12 02:13 AM

Indeed, two bad pixels is still quite good, *especially* for the amount paid. Unless Elaine were to fire up a bunch of cameras and cherry pick one with one or no bad pixels, you're probably likely to fare worse on the replacement.

If the image posted is a positive, then are not the two light-toned pixels 'hot', or at least 'warm', instead if 'dead' (which is black)?

yaesu77

Re: 17 sec (x1024) Camera Sony 960h Exview HAD CCD2 new [Re: GlennLeDrew]
      #5548277 - 12/01/12 04:22 AM

Thank you all.
Greetings.

Edited by yaesu77 (12/01/12 09:15 AM)

yaesu77

#5548392 - 12/01/12 08:08 AM

Has anyone used this camera for planetary shooting?
Maybe with registax you can get good results.

Edited by yaesu77 (12/01/12 08:26 AM)

barbarosa
scholastic sledgehammer

#5549445 - 12/01/12 09:50 PM Attachment (74 downloads)

Quote:

Has anyone used this camera for planetary shooting?
Maybe with registax you can get good results.

Here is a single frame grab of an Io transit (not post processed) from a few nights back.

Edited by barbarosa (12/01/12 09:52 PM)

yaesu77

#5549803 - 12/02/12 04:37 AM

Wow Barbarosa
Setup? C5?

Edited by yaesu77 (12/02/12 08:42 AM)

dragonslayer1
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 02/25/12

Loc: SLC, UT
      #5550163 - 12/02/12 11:23 AM

Hey David, real nice pic. I have a stupid question, I purchased a VSS+ and have had it now for going on 2 weeks but with weather have not been able to try it. (Want bad weather, just purchase something for viewing LOL). Anyway, when people say of video "a single frame grab",are you talking a single pic of what is on your monitor? Like a cell phone, or DSLR picture of your monitor viewing screen? Thanks Kasey, PS again that's a real nice picture

barbarosa
scholastic sledgehammer

#5550166 - 12/02/12 11:24 AM

CPC1100, LN-300-R (the small box), a old Meade 4000 2x Barlow. and some very good sky.

barbarosa
scholastic sledgehammer

Re: 17 sec (x1024) Camera Sony 960h Exview HAD CCD2 new [Re: dragonslayer1]
      #5550316 - 12/02/12 01:03 PM

Quote:

Hey David, real nice pic.

Thank you Kasey.
Quote:

I have a stupid question

Never! At least not to me.
Quote:

Anyway, when people say of video "a single frame grab",are you talking a single pic of what is on your monitor? Like a cell phone, or DSLR picture of your monitor viewing screen?

Let me try to clarify my careless use of frame grab. In this instance, the image is a SharpCap "Snapshot" made by using the "Snapshot" icon. However, I could not find any documentation for the feature, but I can speculate at little.

A Windows screen capture, screenshot, or screen grab (PrtScn or Alt-PrtScn keys in Windows) is a bitmap of the screen or the active window on the clipboard. Applications can then save or convert and save the bitmap to a file. A full or partial screen capture is not difficult to do in C++ or VB. That might be what the SharpCap Snapshot does.

What I did not do was to use a camera to capture an image of the display. Some people might use screenshot to mean a photo of the display. I do not know if there is any standard terminology.

This brings us back to the question of weather any of these are a frame grab in any useful sense. This gets me to thinking about interlaced video, analog to digital conversion, the video capture device, MPEG2 and my attention wanders. We need help from an expert.

euphony

Reged: 12/02/12

#5550461 - 12/02/12 02:34 PM

That's a great pic Barbarosa,

What settings did you use for planetary with your CPC1100. I have the same telescope and will be hopefully receiving this camera in a week or two to have a play with.

Has anyone tried it on galaxies yet? I think I'll have a bit of experimentation with them when I get it
I use a mono Mintron at the moment but am a little underwhelmed with it.

Chris

barbarosa
scholastic sledgehammer

Re: 17 sec (x1024) Camera Sony 960h Exview HAD CCD2 new [Re: euphony]
      #5550605 - 12/02/12 03:59 PM

[
Quote:

What settings did you use for planetary with your CPC1100. I have the same telescope and will be hopefully receiving this camera in a week or two to have a play with.

Has anyone tried it on galaxies yet? I think I'll have a bit of experimentation with them when I get it
Chris

AGC - Off
Shutter - Electric
Exposure - 1/250(?)

BLC and similar set to OFF or a minimum value.
Experiment a little with others such as Sharpness.

The camera has several, seemingly interactive menu settings. Jupiter is bright so I just try various speeds until I get reasonable image. Then I adjust it using the the video proc settings in whatever software I'm using (usually SharpCap). Sometimes after adjusting contrast or brightness I go back and try faster or slower speed, and then readjust in the software.

One quirk that I fail to remember is that any changes that you make revert to the last saved settings after a short time. To keep a setting you must exit and save; the image goes dark and the camera restarts with your saved settings.

For DSOs, this camera's strong point is the long integration, but again the scope, the sky the target and any reducer/filters are variables that interact with the menu settings and the software settings that you set. Very small changes in the camera and software can have a large affect on the image.

I've only imaged two galaxies; not good but better than the EP view. You should like what you see though with clusters, and nebulae (Orion, Bubble, Veil, Saturn, Snowball, Crab, etc.)should look much better than with an EP.

I should mention that while you can use this cam at f/10 for bright DSOs, there a clear gain if you use a .5x reducer. I often use a /6.3 reducer on the scope, a 1.25 diagonal and a .5x reducer on the c-mount adapter.

The Meade f/3.3 reducer also works well with these small chip cams.

If you catch me on NSN and ask, I will be glad to show you the current settings or try different settings.

Edited by barbarosa (12/02/12 05:43 PM)

Pages: << 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | (show all)

Extra information
2 registered and 6 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  csa/montana, JayinUT 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 35600

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics