Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)
neilson
professor emeritus

Reged: 08/22/10

Re: 1/8 " LX80 Play in AZ axis acceptable? new [Re: brokenwave]
      #5507797 - 11/07/12 12:56 AM

Excellent, The Farpoint saddle sounds like the cure to the LX80's saddle problems. The cutout in the LX80's saddle is why my Meade dovetails would pop out. It would of been nice if Meade would have tested out their very own dovetails on their mount. I can't see how they missed something like this.
At least now there is a cure for this problem. Good find Brokenwave.

neilson

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Mkofski
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 07/19/11

Loc: Greenfield, Indiana, USA
Re: 1/8 " LX80 Play in AZ axis acceptable? new [Re: neilson]
      #5507799 - 11/07/12 12:59 AM

Quote:

Excellent, The Farpoint saddle sounds like the cure to the LX80's saddle problems. The cutout in the LX80's saddle is why my Meade dovetails would pop out. It would of been nice if Meade would have tested out their very own dovetails on their mount. I can't see how they missed something like this.
At least now there is a cure for this problem. Good find Brokenwave.

neilson

Neilson,

The saddle on your mount had a cutout? Mine has straight sides with the 2 locking bolts on one side. Maybe 6 inches long. The finish isn't the greatest but functionally it is just like my CG5.

Edited by Mkofski (11/07/12 01:00 AM)

neilson
professor emeritus

Re: 1/8 " LX80 Play in AZ axis acceptable? new [Re: Mkofski]
      #5507959 - 11/07/12 06:15 AM

Hi Mike,
Yes my Meade saddle had a cut out just like Brokenwave describes in his last post on the bottom of page 1. This is very interesting. Your saddle doesn't have this cut out and you don't have the play in your RA or DEC axes that others do.
I am wondering if Meade possibly has made some improvements in the mount and you got one of these improved versions. This would be good news if they have fixed these two problems. Although its unfortunate for others who are stuck with older versions. And if they don't rotate stock then there's no telling which mount others will get. If all this is true then a recall would have been better.

Of course this is all speculation until it has been verified. But I think someone had said that in the past there was another mount that had some problems on initial release but they slowly put out an improved version without recalling the first ones. Maybe other mounts like yours will pop up soon.

DuiA1

Reged: 05/07/12

Loc: Ontario, Canada
      #5507970 - 11/07/12 06:50 AM Attachment (45 downloads)

Here is a pic of my saddle and of the ar6 rail. I confirmed last night that it will fall out if tightened as the cut out will not accept the male end. So did the second run get a saddle without the notch? I received mine from first shipment in June or July ,

Mkofski
Pooh-Bah

Re: 1/8 " LX80 Play in AZ axis acceptable? new [Re: DuiA1]
      #5508072 - 11/07/12 09:15 AM

Neilson and DuiA1,

I don't want to give Meade more credit than they deserve... My saddles have the cutout also. No slop in either axis but cutouts are still there. It has been raining and cloudy for so long I forgot what they looked like. My memory the last few years is slipping! Sorry for the false information.

I have fairly long dovetail bars on my scopes so the notch hasn't presented a problem.

DuiA1

#5508085 - 11/07/12 09:32 AM

Okay. I have no problem with my tv 85 on the saddle as the long dovetail rail is quite long and overrides the notch portion. Wrt the slop...I have zero on the deck clutch...very solid but I do have at least 1/8" on the az.:(

neilson
professor emeritus

#5508166 - 11/07/12 10:40 AM

That's ok Mike, I have the same problem with my memory too. So much for the new improved mount theory.

Jack Huerkamp
Vendor - Waning Moon

Reged: 10/13/05

Loc: Louisiana
      #5508229 - 11/07/12 11:36 AM

Mine was from the second run and I received it at the end of July. It has the notch out as well.

I had contacted Antonio of ADM and he was going to try to develop a replacement saddle for the LX80; but I never could break the 4 recessed Allen bolts free to remove the Meade saddle to send to him so he could use it as a sample. I am glad that I did not invest any more money into this mount considering the other major issues I am having with it.

Jack Huerkamp

Jack Huerkamp
Vendor - Waning Moon

#5508237 - 11/07/12 11:39 AM

This is similar to the play I have both before and after Meade serviced it. They NOW say the play is normal. This weekend I will be at the Deep South Regional Stargaze and I will have the LX80 with C9.25" with me. Also at this event will be an avid astronomer and author who is very familiar with Meade products. I will ask him to look over the issue I have to see if I am being too anal or if the mount really is flawed.

Jack Huerkamp

Mkofski
Pooh-Bah

Re: 1/8 " LX80 Play in AZ axis acceptable? new [Re: Jack Huerkamp]
      #5508245 - 11/07/12 11:42 AM

Quote:

I contacted my dealer, who contacted his dealer rep at Meade. The dealer rep contacted the head of Meade service who called me. I directed him to the videos I posted on YouTube showing the issue. He asked me to try the mount out under the night skies as opposed to testing it in my living room and to report back to him. I told him that I would do so in from of 100+ plus people at a star party this weekend and if the mount continued to perform poorly with my C9.25" OTA and MallinCams, the group would see that first hand.

More to follow.

Jack

Jack,

Have you had a chance to use it under that stars yet? If so, how did the slop in the axis effect your use?

Jack Huerkamp
Vendor - Waning Moon

#5508256 - 11/07/12 11:49 AM

I used it under the stars at ECVAR in early September. That was before Meade "repaired" it. The movement is the same as before I sent it in for servicing, so I am convinced that the vibrations visible in 20 to 30 second exposures taken with the MallinCam before servicing will still be there. After this weekend I will know for sure.

Jack Huerkamp

DuiA1

#5508551 - 11/07/12 03:29 PM

Jack, can you please post your findings from the start party on this issue here? Clouds in Ontario, Canada won't go away this time of year.

Jack Huerkamp
Vendor - Waning Moon

#5509488 - 11/08/12 07:57 AM

DuiA1

Will do. Last night I was starting to pack and I removed the C9.25 and 22# counterweight from the LX80. I then tried moving the mount in azimuth and found little to no movement. The mount is definitely being affected by the weight being added to it. When I used the supplied 11# counterweight and two different OTAs weighing 15# or less, the mount behaved itself. When the load was increased to a 20# OTA with 22# counterweight, the mount appears to be incapable of handle it. I am bringing my Lunt80 with DSII, an AstroTech 102ED refractor and C9.25 to the starparty and I will try all three scopes on the LX80.

Jack Huerkamp

neilson
professor emeritus

#5509786 - 11/08/12 11:28 AM

Hi Jack,
It sounds like your getting the exact same results that I got with my LX80 mount. It seams the mount isn't capable of more then 15 lbs max. Although I haven't seen an image posted yet with any size ota. But hopefully an image will be posted soon. It would be nice if Meade would address this issue and either come up with a fix or change the listed max ratings. Fixing it is perfered.

neilson

DuiA1

#5510227 - 11/08/12 04:40 PM

Thanks Jack. We finally had a clear night last night and got to try my TV85 on the mount. Couple of observations. First, the movement/slop without any power applied to the mount appears to be more. Once I turned the power on, the slop was still there but it appeared to be less than with no power (hard to measure amount but definitely felt less). Any idea why? Could it be that once the gears are engaged with power applied, there is more resistance?

The pointing accuracy in Polar was actually very good. No backlash when I moved the motors back and forth like my old LXD 75 (sold it to buy the LX 80).

I hit all targets using my 13 Ethos. I had SkySafari Pro running and SkyFi hooked up to my Meade controller and used the iPad mini to surf the night sky. It worked like magic. Used the LXD75 protocol and Equatorial settings on Sky Safari Pro for the LX 80. Once locked into a target I looked through the viewfinder and wiggled the counterweight bar…Jupiter moved about 15% of the field of view on the 13 Ethos. I would think this is excessive. Of course this movement only happened when I physically put a force on the counterweight bar, otherwise no noticeable visual movement was observed. Again, I would like to get into AP and I guess I have up to a year to return the mount . I will wait and see with some guidance from the fine people here on CN on what you recommend. Thanks in advance for your help/recommendations.

Edited by DuiA1 (11/08/12 04:50 PM)

Mkofski
Pooh-Bah

#5510277 - 11/08/12 05:17 PM

DuiA1,

I guess the amount of play while you are using it is a lot more important than when you have it powered down. Sounds like it worked well for you for visual. Good to hear that SkySafari is working well. I have all the parts but haven't tried that yet. I wouldn't think 15% movement at 50X (I'm guessing at the magnification) isn't too bad while pushing the counterweight. Did you happn to notice how long it took to settle down after you stopped pusshing on the CW?

AP is still the big question for me. I like the LX80 well enough that I'll get CGEM or G8/G11 for AP if needed.

Edited by Mkofski (11/08/12 05:18 PM)

DuiA1

#5510474 - 11/08/12 08:10 PM

Actually Mike, I did not let it go . I just was trying to see total play. Overall it was pretty steady if I did not touch the mount. There was no wind. I also put my ear to the mount to hear any abnormal sound of gears binding. Sounded pretty smooth. My worry is when I mount the heavier AR6. I need another new dovetail plate before I do that.

Mkofski
Pooh-Bah

#5510503 - 11/08/12 08:32 PM

I don't know the weight of the AR6 but I've had a little over 20 pounds on the mount without any problems. That was with a 7" Mak with an 80mm refractor piggybacked. So it was a short load and just a little over half of what the mount is advertised at.

DuiA1

#5511179 - 11/09/12 08:19 AM

Once I get the new dovetail rail I will let you know if the slop is worse with the 23lb AR6. Just wondering how many other lx80 owners are experiencing this issue? I know of a couple on this forum but am wondering if Meade will do a recall before the one year warranty expires?

JanisR

Reged: 06/26/08

Loc: Pennsylvania
Re: 1/8 " LX80 Play in AZ axis acceptable? new [Re: brokenwave]
      #5513560 - 11/10/12 07:09 PM

Well, with my LX80, the AZ drive simply broke after five hours running time.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)

Extra information
23 registered and 34 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 7470

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics