Speciality Forums >> Astronomy Software & Computers

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
wfr
journeyman

Reged: 06/09/11

Sky Safari - Wishes
      #5505584 - 11/05/12 03:17 PM

Hi,

Here are some wishes/suggestions to expand the functionality of this wonderful software (others may add their wishes).

I would like to have a filter (sort of a query builder). Filter by type, constellation, brightness, size, catalog;
E.g. list all galaxies in Capricornus brighter than 12.0 mag, but exclude the PGC catalogue.

Please include the Saguaro Astronomy Club Database (SAC), see http://www.saguaroastro.org/content/downloads.htm.

A checkbox to toggle on/off the objects with unknown magnitude.

Astroweather (like meteoblue.com)

Common names missing:
---------------------
Planetary nebulae:
Ant nebula – He 2-154
Baby eskimo – IC 3568
Bat symbol – Abell 36
Blue racquetball – ngc 6572
Campbell’s hydrogen star – He 2-438
Cheeseburger – ngc 7026
Cotton candy – IRAS 17150-3224
Crystal ball – ngc 1514
Cygnus egg – PK 080-06.1
Etched hourglass – He 2-95
Gemini neb – ngc 2371
Gomez’s hamburger – PK 359-06.2
Hourglass – ngc 2346
Hubble’s double bubble – He 2-286
Kronberger pn 1 – DSH J1947.0+2930
Kronberger pn 2 – KTC 1
Little ghost – ngc 6369
Merrill’s star – M 1-67
Patchick 1 – DSH J1957.3+2639
Retina – IC 4406
Riddle pn – DSH J0540.7+3144
Sakurai’s object - V4334 Sgr
Silkworm - IRAS 17441-2411
Southern crab – He 2-104
Southern owl – HM Sge
Spirograph - IC 418
Stingray – He 3-1357
Teutsch pn 1 - DSH J1940.6+2930
Teutsch pn 2 - Howell-Crisp 1
Turtle – ngc 6210
White eyed pea – ic 4593

NEBULAE:
Gyulbudaghian's Nebula – HH 215
McNeil's Nebula
Double nebula – ic 2162
Prawn nebula – ic 4628
Lobster nebula – ngc 6357
Vela Supernova Remnant – G263.9-03.3
Small Cluster nebula – ngc 7129
Boomerang nebula - ESO 172- 7
Serpen’s Object or Bernes 12

DARK NEBULAE:
Ink spot – B86
Black hole – B92
Barnard’s E – B143
Pipe neb. – B59
Dark Doodad - DC 301.0-008.6C

OPEN CLUSTERS:
Sailboat Cl. – ngc 225
Muscle man cl. – stock 2
Pazimo’s cl. – stock 23
Mu Norma cl. – ngc 6169

GLOBULAR CLUSTERS:
Keystone Cl. – M13
Pavo Globular – ngc 6752

GALAXIES:
Cartwheel Galaxy – PGC 2248
Pisces Cloud – ngc 383
Minkowski’s object – ngc 541
Holmberg VI – ngc 1325
Holmberg II – arp 268
Pancake – ngc2685
Holmberg III – pgc 26071
The Grasshopper – arp55
Holmberg I – pgc 27605
Holmberg IX – pgc 28757
Spider galaxy – pgc 31923
Mayall’s object – arp 148
Wild’s triplet – arp248
Zwicky #2 – pgc 37689
St. Katherine’s Wheel – M99
Reinmuth 80 – ngc 4517A
Lost Galaxy – ngc 4535
Holmberg VII – pgc 41861
Superwind galaxy – ngc 4666
Footprint galaxy – pgc 44491
Hardcastle’s galaxy - pgc 45901
Holmberg VIII – pgc 45927
Holmberg V – pgc 48392
Holmberg IV – pgc 49448
Splinter Galaxy – ngc 5907
Hoag’s Object – pgc 54559
Tadpole galaxy – arp 188
Zwicky’s triplet – arp 103
Starfish galaxy – ngc 6240
Kowal’s object – pgc 63287
Southern integral sign – ic 5173
Atom for peace galaxy – ngc 7572

Thank you
Walter

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Tom Polakis
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 12/20/04

Loc: Tempe, Arizona
Re: Sky Safari - Wishes new [Re: wfr]
      #5506705 - 11/06/12 11:21 AM

Walter,

Some of your wishes are mine as well, and they are what I have become accustomed to using Megastar as a star atlas in the field.

Rather than CN, you'd probably do better to join the southern stars Yahoo group, which is averaging nearly 10 messages per day. Both authors of SkySafari are very active on that group.

Southern Stars Yahoo group

Tom

wfr
journeyman

Reged: 06/09/11

Re: Sky Safari - Wishes new [Re: Tom Polakis]
      #5506960 - 11/06/12 01:58 PM

Thanks Tom,

I know the Yahoo site, but for whatever reason I'm not allowed to post a message although I'm successfully logged in.

Cheers
Walter

Spaced
Post Laureate

Reged: 03/01/05

Loc: Tacoma, Washington, USA
      #5507061 - 11/06/12 03:17 PM

I have been quite interested in the lengthy discussion under the heading, "Unlearning the Constellations," which begins here.

Drawing from that conversation, what I would like to see in Sky Safari is the ability to view an object, star, constellation, asterism, etc. from a perspective above the galactic disk. I would like to to see where an object (or the components of an object) is/are placed within our galaxy.

(And Walter, welcome to CN!)

Tom Polakis
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 12/20/04

Loc: Tempe, Arizona
Re: Sky Safari - Wishes new [Re: Spaced]
      #5507073 - 11/06/12 03:23 PM

Quote:

...what I would like to see in Sky Safari is the ability to view an object, star, constellation, asterism, etc. from a perspective above the galactic disk. I would like to to see where an object (or the components of an object) is/are placed within our galaxy.

The "orbit" feature in the latest release is a very good start toward that goal. Click on any star, and it takes you out to that star, and then enables you do travel back to the Earth at your desired speed. I like to look around from the perspective of various stars, and see what happens to the familiar constellations.

I see that Bill Tschumy, one of the co-authors, hangs out here, so he'd be able to tell you more.

Tom

btschumy
Vendor - Simulation Curriculum

Reged: 04/13/04

Loc: Longmont, CO, USA
      #5507093 - 11/06/12 03:36 PM

Quote:

I have been quite interested in the lengthy discussion under the heading, "Unlearning the Constellations," which begins here.

Drawing from that conversation, what I would like to see in Sky Safari is the ability to view an object, star, constellation, asterism, etc. from a perspective above the galactic disk. I would like to to see where an object (or the components of an object) is/are placed within our galaxy.

(And Walter, welcome to CN!)

Walter,

As Tom said the Orbit mode in SkySafari will help you out quite a bit in doing this. It will not show you the entire galaxy though when zoomed out.

If a desktop solution to this works for you, you might want to check out my free "Where is M13?" program. It does exactly what you want (I think).

http://www.thinkastronomy.com/M13/index.html

Bill

Spaced
Post Laureate

Reged: 03/01/05

Loc: Tacoma, Washington, USA
Re: Sky Safari - Wishes new [Re: btschumy]
      #5507763 - 11/07/12 12:18 AM

Bill, I didn't realize "Where is M13?" is your baby. I've checked it out for various queries a number of times. It's terrific!

I'm a recent purchaser of Sky Safari and haven't used it much. (I have it on an android phone but an iPad Mini is due to arrive in a week or so.) I've played around with "orbit" a bit and it's interesting but it doesn't really address the galactic position of an object in a fashion I can readily comprehend.

Soooo, the feature I'd like a lot would be the ability to, for example, be looking at the main stars in Orion and be able to push a button to look "down" on them from "above."

tezster
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 07/14/09

Loc: Missisauga, Canada
      #5508086 - 11/07/12 09:32 AM

I'm new to using Sky Safari - it's a wonderful tool for the most part. A few things I'd like to see off the top of my head:
  • When using the search feature, an ability to manually enter RA/Dec co-ordinates (useful when connected to a scope for goto/push-to)
  • Display object details/description in a separate pane/smaller window, so you can navigate the sky map while this information is displayed (for tablets/notebooks with larger displays).
  • Ability to display an object's description with a single click/tap, without having to go into the details, then the description.

skysurfer
sage

Reged: 10/05/09

Loc: NL, N 52 E 6
Re: Sky Safari - Wishes new [Re: tezster]
      #5514027 - 11/11/12 06:44 AM

Quote:

I'm new to using Sky Safari - it's a wonderful tool for the most part. A few things I'd like to see off the top of my head:
  • When using the search feature, an ability to manually enter RA/Dec co-ordinates (useful when connected to a scope for goto/push-to)
  • Display object details/description in a separate pane/smaller window, so you can navigate the sky map while this information is displayed (for tablets/notebooks with larger displays).
  • Ability to display an object's description with a single click/tap, without having to go into the details, then the description.

The first option is already there: Settings => Coordinates => check 'Equatorial', go down a bit and fill in 'Chart cenetr coordinates'.

Option (2) and (3) can be very useful !

I'd add a few more:

- Larger font option for the existing coordinates display on top of the chart. Reading glass users like me can hardly read these small text in dark red mode without reading glasses which requires switching between reading glasses on when checking the chart and off when looking into the eyepiece.

- Lock onto object. When an object is selected and one clicks on another part of the chart (e.g. the top left or top right popup menus) sometimes another object is selected so I have to search again for the object. Can be combined with 'Center'.

- Arrow. When a selected object is not on the chart, an arrow pointing to the object van be very useful. E.g. when starhopping and the chart is zoomed in.

*skyguy*
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 12/31/08

Loc: Western New York
      #5514189 - 11/11/12 10:13 AM

I wish my Sky Safari would stop drifting out of alignment in azimuth ... on my iTouch 4 ... so I can use it on the night sky. Oh well ... maybe it work correctly on my iPad mini!

btschumy
Vendor - Simulation Curriculum

Reged: 04/13/04

Loc: Longmont, CO, USA
Re: Sky Safari - Wishes new [Re: *skyguy*]
      #5514544 - 11/11/12 02:07 PM

Skyguy,

Please contact us at "info at southernstars dot com" and describe the problem you are having. I imagine we can get it working for you.

Bill

Digital Don
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 01/20/04

Loc: Manteno, IL
      #5515101 - 11/11/12 09:18 PM

I just purchased SkySafari recently and am enjoying it!

Not sure if this has been suggested or not, but one feature I'd like to see would be the ability to toggle objects on or off - either have all objects visible, or only those on a selected observing list.

I use an old Palm program called Planetarium that allows the user to import observing lists and gives the option (among other things) to show the stars and only the objects on a selected list if desired. If someone was working on the Herschel List for example, the sky view would be easier to use if only Herschel objects were shown.

And, as long as we are wishing, would it be possible to include pictures of the entire NGC and IC, preferably amateur shots? I observe with a MallinCam almost exclusively, and many faint objects are visible using it. However, some objects are better than others and I often use Astromist (another Palm program) which includes an extensive collection of photographs from the NGC and IC catalogs to help decide whether or not I want observe a given object.

Thanks!

Don

Thomas Pfleger
Vendor - Eye&Telescope Software

Reged: 04/25/06

Loc: Germany
Re: Sky Safari - Wishes new [Re: Digital Don]
      #5515801 - 11/12/12 11:17 AM

Hi,

just let me add a few ideas - as an enthusiastic SkySafari user.

Quote:

I use an old Palm program called Planetarium that allows the user to import observing lists and gives the option (among other things) to show the stars and only the objects on a selected list if desired. If someone was working on the Herschel List for example, the sky view would be easier to use if only Herschel objects were shown.

I liked Planetarium very much, but sadly my Palm's battery died and also the replacement broke to soon. Palm is history now.
I find Don's request very important - and generally prefer (finder) charts with just the objects on that are "relevant" for me, whatever relevant can mean. Therefore: I'd like to have on option in SkySafari to only display the objects from a skylist / custom object list on the map. With the export of a skylist from my desktop observing planner, this would be a nice complement at the eyepiece.

From my point of view, another useful and very important improvement would be an enhanced logging system, leveraging the <OpenAstronomyLog> format. With this, our observation records could be passed along to users of all <OAL> compatible software and observations could be shared via www.deepskylog.org. SkySafari as a part of this ecosystem would be the most important improvement I can think of.

Tom

simpleisbetter
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 04/18/11

Re: Sky Safari - Wishes new [Re: Thomas Pfleger]
      #5515829 - 11/12/12 11:30 AM

Whether or not it uses OpenAstronomyLog format (which I don't need or care about), I would like SkySafari to have a legitimate logging capability, rather than the limited and temporary logs it has now.

skysurfer
sage

Reged: 10/05/09

Loc: NL, N 52 E 6
      #5516017 - 11/12/12 01:30 PM

There is a working Palm emulator for Android and iOS (the latter only jailbroken).
www.styletap.com

Digital Don
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Sky Safari - Wishes new [Re: skysurfer]
      #5516988 - 11/12/12 10:52 PM

I was excited about StyleTap until I got to the page with the prices...

Don

Thomas Pfleger
Vendor - Eye&Telescope Software

Reged: 04/25/06

Loc: Germany
      #5517294 - 11/13/12 05:33 AM

Quote:

I was excited about StyleTap until I got to the page with the prices...

Don

This is the point: unless you already have Styletap, I see no need to let Planetarium resurrect. Today we have apps that more than replace what it once did for us. For 50$, you can buy SkySafari, Astromist, Starmap Pro and Observer Pro. Together these great apps do "everything" but serious logging.

This is why I mentioned <OpenAstronomyLog>: wouldn't it be nice to have your observations accessible from your favorite apps one day? Maybe there are observers who use only one app or desktop software. I never was one of those expecting to become happy with only one piece of software. Think of image processing: you expect your image files to be usable with virtual any software that does "image processing". Why not expect observations to be usabel with more than one program or app? As a user, it indeed does not matter how <OAL> exactly looks like. You neither will look or even write the files directly nor do you have to know any details. Your benefit as a user would be to be able to use your observations across several programs: more flexibility. Maybe you don't want this, but I look for it.

Tom

weezy
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 02/13/04

Loc: East of the sun-west of the mo...
      #5517488 - 11/13/12 09:06 AM

Yeah, but you need to use more than one app to do what you want.

If someone can do something about the 320x320 display of Astromist using Styletap, I'd delete all the other programs except for Mobile Observatory. I'm visual only, don't have a motorized scope, so no big loss. Why MO? I like the menu.

Digital Don
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Sky Safari - Wishes new [Re: weezy]
      #5518958 - 11/14/12 12:38 AM

Quote:

Yeah, but you need to use more than one app to do what you want.

I agree.

Astromist and Planeterium are excellent programs for the Palm. But currently there are better platforms available and software to take advantage of them.

I like both the above programs, but neither is 'complete'. I find myself having to switch between them to access various features - not the most efficient procedure.

So far, SkySafari is the closest I've come to the "perfect" sky chart solution, but there are still things I'd like to see added. It's great that the authors frequent the forums and consider our requests for features.

Don

Darren Bly
sage

Reged: 07/24/06

Loc: Bakersfield, Ca
      #5523442 - 11/16/12 08:41 PM

Hey Bill. Any word on the clipping comet tail issue?

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
3 registered and 9 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  richard7, kkokkolis 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2483

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics