Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1
LouHalikman

Reged: 02/23/11

Loc: North Central Maryland
CGE Pro RA not working
      #5506002 - 11/05/12 09:19 PM

I'm using a new CGE Pro with a C 14 HD. Balance is fine. The unit is about 4 mos old. Observatory mounted. Tonight, after about 30 minutes, the RA motor stopped working. DEC is fine. It barely grunts, and if I use my hand to guide the OTA it works somewhat. Is it possible that the motor burned out so soon? This mount has only been used about 4 hours total and is essentially new. Any suggestions. Lou

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Phil Wheeler
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 12/31/05

Loc: 3 miles WNW of Celestron
Re: CGE Pro RA not working new [Re: LouHalikman]
      #5506174 - 11/05/12 11:31 PM

My impression (I've not experienced such problems - yet) is that it could be something simple like a loose or crimped wire. There are some discussions of troubleshooting here for a different starting problem on a different mount http://www.nexstarsite.com/OddsNEnds/NoResponse.htm Plus there are threads here which can be found by searching and read -- e.g., http://www.cloudynights.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php/Number/5351306 I've worked lots with electronic and elecro-mechanical equipment and would start by doing some measurements with a volt-ohm meter.

There's a discussion of a drive axis problem with a CG5 which may be informative re possible causes: http://www.cloudynights.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/5308207/page...

LouHalikman

Reged: 02/23/11

Loc: North Central Maryland
Re: CGE Pro RA not working new [Re: Phil Wheeler]
      #5512822 - 11/10/12 08:23 AM

Unfortunately, Celestron tech support has diagnosed it as RA motor failure. I tried all of the easy fixes first -- the motor is dead. The mount will be on its way back today. At least they will pay the UPS charge both ways. I just hope it comes back soon. The mount is only 3 months old and has been used maybe 5 or 6 hours max. Has this happened to anyone else? Lou

mmalik
Postmaster

Reged: 01/13/12

Loc: USA
Re: CGE Pro RA not working new [Re: LouHalikman]
      #5515428 - 11/12/12 01:39 AM

Hope your mount is up and running soon; good that problem has been diagnosed. Good luck!

Pages: 1

Extra information
18 registered and 33 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 658

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics