Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Astrophotography and Sketching >> Sketching

Pages: 1
Michael Rapp
Post Laureate

Reged: 04/27/04

Loc: Dickinson, TX
M57 and M15
      #5507641 - 11/06/12 10:24 PM Attachment (74 downloads)

Well, tonight I decided to try my first sketching at something that is not just a bunch of dots.

I went for M57, not having a clue if I could represent this accurately. It is just a ghostly image in my reflector, invisible with direct vision with my sky conditions and giving just a hint of its ring shape with averted vision.

I'm actually very pleased with how this turned out!

You can see my practice blendings in the lower right. I actually made it too dark and the ring shape too distinct, but several dabs of a gum eraser brought the intensity down to where it more-or-less matches the level of detail in the eyepiece.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Michael Rapp
Post Laureate

Re: M57 and M15 new [Re: Michael Rapp]
      #5507646 - 11/06/12 10:29 PM Attachment (51 downloads)

Now, M15 is a different story. In my scope, M15 is an unresolved cluster so I thought this would be easy, but it was not. There were three levels of brightness I detected: a bright core that was distinctly non-stellar, an inner glow and an outer glow.

I just could not get my blending to represent what I saw in the eyepiece. Indeed, the word I would use for my sketch is "artificial." While I believe I got the size right, it really did not match the impression in the eyepiece.

I definitely will be revisiting this object. As we all know, all globular clusters while they share the same basic shapes are all unique and if I don't practice more, all of my globulars are all going to end up looking the same.

(The off-set ring in the image is a pre-drawn circle from the page underneath showing through courtesy of the flash on the camera.)

Asbytec
Guy in a furry hat

Reged: 08/08/07

Loc: La Union, PI
      #5507668 - 11/06/12 10:45 PM

Michael, great work. You're moving up the scale of difficulty. To me, globulars are very tough. Yes, it's seems pretty difficult to translate that ghostly glow they exhibit. And when you do resolve it, placing each of those tiny, fleeting specks of light might be a challenge.

But, if it were easy, everyone would do it. Or, maybe no one would do it.

Revisit M15 (or M13, with the two field stars?), but why can't your 8" resolve it? Too low magnification, it's placement in the sky? Seeing?

Edited by Asbytec (11/06/12 10:58 PM)

Chopin
Canis Insanus

Reged: 02/03/05

Loc: In the doghouse.
Re: M57 and M15 new [Re: Asbytec]
      #5507687 - 11/06/12 11:04 PM

Michael, very nice to see you challenging yourself. Both sketches are fine. I particularly like how honest your recordings are.

To piggyback Norme, have you tried pumping up the magnification on M15? Although not quite as bright or spectacular as M22 I have had success with star separation in 6" instruments, and can even get more than a mottled effect with my 4". Globs take magnification well, IME.

niteskystargazer
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 10/05/09

Loc: 41-43'-28" N 87-42'-39" W
      #5508249 - 11/07/12 11:45 AM

Michael,

Very nice sketches of M-57 & M-15 .

CS,KLU,

Tom

blb
Post Laureate

Reged: 11/25/05

Loc: Piedmont NC
Re: M57 and M15 new [Re: niteskystargazer]
      #5508425 - 11/07/12 02:04 PM

Quote:

Revisit M15 (or M13, with the two field stars?), but why can't your 8" resolve it? Too low magnification, it's placement in the sky? Seeing?

I would say that you need to use much more than 94x to resolve the cluster. For me it is usualy somewhere in the 150x to 200x range to really start seeing stars in this cluster. Once again a good job sketching these objects.

frank5817
Postmaster

Reged: 06/13/06

Loc: Illinois
Re: M57 and M15 new [Re: blb]
      #5509202 - 11/07/12 11:22 PM

Michael,

Looking good, you are climbing the ladder and learning as you go - keep up the fine work.

Frank

rolandlinda3
Post Laureate

Reged: 01/24/06

Loc: Crozet VA 22932
Re: M57 and M15 new [Re: frank5817]
      #5510603 - 11/08/12 09:33 PM

nicely done, sir. your fun during the observing period shows in your words and your rendering is good.

JimPie
professor emeritus

Reged: 11/10/07

Loc: S.E.Michigan
Re: M57 and M15 new [Re: rolandlinda3]
      #5510959 - 11/09/12 01:54 AM

I like these sketches. I like the effect of the faint fuzzy in a low power FOV. My guess ( I may be completely wrong) is your using lower power because your dob is not motorized (tracking platform).

Michael Rapp
Post Laureate

Re: M57 and M15 new [Re: JimPie]
      #5532740 - 11/21/12 05:58 PM

Revisiting this thread as a few days ago I stumbled upon my very first sketches that I made -- from 19 years ago!

I had long forgotten, but apparently M 15 was the first object I ever sketched.

I dabbled in sketching as I wanted a way to record what I saw in the eyepiece, but I didn't have the money for astrophotography. After all, nineteen years ago I was a junior in high school.

Amazing to think back to those times. In 1993 I had no internet access. All the astronomy information I had came from Sky & Tel, my local astronomy club, and the Astronomy FIDONET echo on the local BBS scene.

So I had no idea how to sketch "properly." I just took some paper and a number 2 pencil and away I went.

Here's the link to my November 6, 1993 sketch of M 15: http://www.pbase.com/mdrapp/image/147471638

It is facinating to note that the scope I used to sketch M 15 nineteen years ago is the same scope I used to sketch the version at the beginning of this thread.

Here's the link to my other objects I sketched (M42, M31, and M45): http://www.pbase.com/mdrapp/my_first_sketches

Asbytec
Guy in a furry hat

Reged: 08/08/07

Loc: La Union, PI
      #5533013 - 11/21/12 09:57 PM

In 1993 did you have a smaller scope? M15 hasn't changed much in all that time. Your Pleiades sketch is sweet.

Pages: 1

Extra information
2 registered and 9 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  cildarith, JayinUT, WOBentley 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 894

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics