Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Speciality Forums >> Astronomy Shows & Conferences

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Starhawk
Space Ranger

Reged: 09/16/08

Loc: Tucson, Arizona
Re: dining in Tucson... new [Re: Joe Cipriano]
      #5490459 - 10/26/12 03:47 PM

If we have a simple choice between there and old pueblo grille, the grille wins by any aesthetic or culinary criteria. PP is fun- go ahead and talk, and yes, it will be a good steak. It could be funny if we can arrange to have matching ties the world would be better off without.

-Rich

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Skip
Starlifter Driver

Reged: 01/23/08

Loc: Fort Worth, Texas, USA
Re: dining in Tucson... new [Re: Starhawk]
      #5491528 - 10/27/12 11:07 AM

Quote:

"Touristy" isn't necessarily bad. Depends on how many out of state ASAE attendees are joining us. Could be fun. I remember PP fondly.

Me too!

Quote:

It could be funny if we can arrange to have matching ties the world would be better off without.

Aw man... I really didn't want to wear no stinkin' tie! But if we decide on PP, I guess it is sort of mandatory. It's been many years since I've been there, so not sure what they might do if you're not wearing one! Just jokin'. I've got a bunch of old Tobasco ties that could be candidates. Before I retired, I used to wear them to work. Became sort of a Skip trademark. I could bring several along.

desertstars

Reged: 11/05/03

Loc: Tucson, AZ
Re: dining in Tucson... new [Re: ToxMan]
      #5491885 - 10/27/12 04:10 PM

Quote:

El Saquarito used to be real good. But, I don't know where Albert relocated recently.

1763 E. Prince Rd.

http://www.elsaguarito.com/

It's still very good food. My wife and I have been switching back and forth between them and Rosa's for some time, now.

Alan S
professor emeritus

Reged: 10/27/07

#5492891 - 10/28/12 10:33 AM

Having a reservation at OPG will be a MUST given that it is homecoming night...the Doubletree Hotel nearly adjacent will be sold out and refers everyone who asks for a restaurant to the OPG...

Another place that is pretty good although nowhere near the TCC is Union Public House at River and Campbell...

Starhawk
Space Ranger

Re: dining in Tucson... new [Re: Alan S]
      #5492926 - 10/28/12 10:54 AM

Perhaps, but anything east of Alvernon is basically in, "Homecoming? What's that?" space. We just aren't visibly affected by UoA events.

-Rich

ToxMan
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 01/23/11

Loc: Tucson, Arizona, USA
      #5493081 - 10/28/12 12:37 PM

Something to consider, Cattletown Steakhouse, Drexel and Country Club, just south of I-10. It can accommodate a large crowd and is just off I-10 for those that plan to jump on the freeway after and drive down to TAAA CAC site for the star party on Saturday night.

Cattletown Steakhouse

Edited by ToxMan (10/28/12 12:38 PM)

Starhawk
Space Ranger

Re: dining in Tucson... [Re: ToxMan]
      #5507798 - 11/07/12 12:59 AM

Well, it's looking like our schedules will be clear for Saturday.

-Rich

jhayes_tucson
professor emeritus

Reged: 08/26/12

Loc: Bend, OR
      #6178475 - 11/06/13 12:28 AM

Rich,
That's a great list, but let me add three slightly more upscale, reasonably priced favorites:

1) Cafe Poca Cosa downtown. "Different" and delicious Mexican in an interesting atmosphere. Not too far from the convention center. Order the chef's choice and you won't be disappointed. A+ food.

2) North (at La Encantada.) More upscale "American fair" at the north end of Campbell Avenue (probably a 20 minute drive from downtown if you don't get snagged in homecoming traffic around the stadium.

3) Sushi Garden at Broadway and Country Club. Reasonably priced and "happening"...I've always had a good experience there. It's not far from downtown; though it could be super crowded with homecoming.

Finally, there are a lot of Mexican places around S. Tucson and the convention center and although most are mediocre at best, I still enjoy them. If you want authentic, S. Tucson, boarder style Mexican food and atmosphere, one of my favorites is Crossroads on S. 4th Ave.

John

(My current address says Oregon, but I still live in Tucson!)

DavidOpticsmart
Vendor (Opticsmart.com)

Reged: 08/15/11

Loc: Alabama
Re: dining in Tucson... new [Re: ToxMan]
      #6191326 - 11/12/13 06:35 PM

Quote:

And, for the best Sonoran style hot dogs, BK's, either on South 12th Avenue or on North 1st Avenue. They are the bomb! Bacon wrapped dog, in bun filled with beans, sour cream, cheese, pico de gallo, and either red chili sauce or green tomatillo sauce. They have good Mexican food. But, the dogs are by far their big seller.

El Güero Canelo gets my vote. I'm a hot dog junkie and tried both places last year. BK was good, but El Güero on 12th Ave. was my favorite.

Then for desert, empanadas from La Estrella Bakery just up the street. My mouth's watering just thinking about them.

rboeAdministrator

Reged: 03/16/02

Loc: Phx, AZ
Re: dining in Tucson... new [Re: DavidOpticsmart]
      #6192219 - 11/13/13 08:59 AM

Alrighty David; I'm following you for lunch!

DavidOpticsmart
Vendor (Opticsmart.com)

Reged: 08/15/11

Loc: Alabama
Re: dining in Tucson... new [Re: rboe]
      #6192889 - 11/13/13 03:35 PM

Quote:

Alrighty David; I'm following you for lunch!

Sounds good Ron. Just be sure to bring plenty of Rolaids!

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  WOBentley 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4504

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics