Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Binoculars

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)
Binojunky
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 12/25/10

Re: Low mag Binocs new [Re: Fomalhaut]
      #5509931 - 11/08/12 01:00 PM

Hekova difference in price between the Yosemite and the Swarovskis or the Nikon E11 for that matter,Zeiss make a couple of 8x30 models but again at a premium price, to be honest most times when grabbing a bino for a look at the sky a 8x40 does the job very well, either a roof or prism,DA.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Pinewood
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 12/07/04

Loc: 40.77638º N 73.982652 W
Fujinon new [Re: Binojunky]
      #5509981 - 11/08/12 01:31 PM

Hello all,

Regarding RhoPhi's original request for a 6x30. Fujinon may still sell a 6x30, the AR-SX, which is better than any old military 6x30. It uses independent focussing, is waterproof, and has modern coatings. I recall one cold night in New York City, when it revealed one one of Jupiter's moons, which I thought was pretty good for a 6x30.
Unlike other posters, I personally could not use an 8x40, handheld, on the night sky, for anything except the horizon, but I am nearing Medicare age.

Clear skies,
Arthur Pinewood

Andresin150
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 08/14/07

Loc: Bogotá - La Calera / Colombia
Re: Fujinon new [Re: Pinewood]
      #5510049 - 11/08/12 02:18 PM

I think that a wide angle experience relates a lot more with the AFOV and barely with the TFOV.
With that in mind, I wouldnt consider any binocular below 65 deg Afov a wide angle.
If we rely only in TFOV, any system at 2x would be a wide angle even if it feels like looking trough a pipe. And, for example, the Docters at 40x provide an ultra wide 2.2 deg of TFov, which is a lot for 40x....

oldtimer
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 11/13/08

Loc: Lake County Illinois
Re: Low mag Binocs new [Re: Binojunky]
      #5510253 - 11/08/12 05:00 PM

A strong 2nd for the 6X30 Leupold Yosemites. ADORAMA has them fr $79.95 +. The nice thing about 6X is that one can actually hold them relatively steady without any support.

rhophi

Reged: 10/22/11

Loc: Bay Area, CA
Re: Low mag Binocs new [Re: oldtimer]
      #5510465 - 11/08/12 08:05 PM

Thanks for all the inputs,

I checked the web for all recommended options, I was able to find most of them. Far more options than what I originally thought. These are the options that I believe could give me the results I am looking for:

1. Fijinon 6x30 FMTR-SX is no longer in the market, but can be purchased second hand for about $400.00

2. Kowa YF 6x30 < $100.00

3. Leupold BX 1 Yosemite 6x30 < $100.00

4. Nikon 7x35 Action EX Extreme ABT < $150.00

5. Vortex Raptor 6.5 x 32 < $125.00

6. Vortex Viper 6 x 32 < $275.00

7. Meopta MeoPro 6.5 x 32 < $300.00

I read multiple reviews, mostly (bird watching) and seems like the Vortex Viper, Leupold Yosemite, and the Nikon Action EX are pretty popular and highly ranked.
I also read a couple of reviews noting negative inputs on the Vortex as not being sharp close to the edges. Some people complained about the Leupold Yosemite for not offering good low light performance (cloudy days or sunset), not sure what would that mean for astronomy?

I am not sure if the 7x35 Nikon will do the work (it may go deeper than what I want).
So it leaves me with two popular options, the Vortex Viper 6x32 and the Leupold Yosemite.

Any inputs?

Thank you all for your feedback.

Clear skies!

Plan9
professor emeritus

Reged: 01/28/08

Loc: Northern VA
Re: Low mag Binocs new [Re: rhophi]
      #5510524 - 11/08/12 08:48 PM

rhophi,

One more link comparing Viper and Yosemite here .

Not sure what you mean about the 7x35 going deeper than you want - could you clarify?

One warning on the Fujinon - if you plan to use it for terrestrial viewing (birds, etc), the individual focus will be difficult to work with.

Bill

Pinewood
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 12/07/04

Loc: 40.77638º N 73.982652 W
      #5510533 - 11/08/12 08:51 PM

Quote:

I checked the web for all recommended options,
1. Fijinon 6x30 FMTR-SX is no longer in the market, but can be purchased second hand for about $400.00

Any inputs?

Clear skies!

Hello Rho Phi,

I wrote of the AR-SX Fujinon, not the FMTR-SX. It was rather less expensive than the Viper or Meopta but still more costly than the Yosemite and Kowa, but it seems to be out of production, as well. It sold for about $150, a few years, ago.

There was a thread about them:

http://www.cloudynights.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php/Cat/1,2,3,4,5,8,10/Board/binoculars/Number/2936616/page/188/view/collapsed/sb/5/o/all/fpart/1

Clear skies,
Arthur Pinewood

Stacy
Star Partyer

Reged: 09/15/02

Loc: Seattle, WA
Re: Low mag Binocs new [Re: Pinewood]
      #5510632 - 11/08/12 09:48 PM

I have been reading up on the Vortex offerings and must say I find the warranty quite entising. Not just defects... But damage as well, no matter where or when you aquire them. Add the many positive reviews and I am thinking of making a purchase myself!

rhophi

Re: Low mag Binocs new [Re: Plan9]
      #5510697 - 11/08/12 10:21 PM

Quote:

rhophi,

Not sure what you mean about the 7x35 going deeper than you want - could you clarify?

One warning on the Fujinon - if you plan to use it for terrestrial viewing (birds, etc), the individual focus will be difficult to work with.

Bill

Bill,

Thanks for the link, it is really interesting and lots of good information to digest.
I am planning to use the binoculars for Astronomy only.
When I said the 7x35 going deeper than what I want, I mean that I am looking for a pair of binocs that I feel like an extension of my eyes, but an enhaced vision (I just want to enhance my vision so I can see 4 and 5 magnitude stars...more than that will be a waste).
If I want to go deeper, I will use my scopes or other binocs that I own.

Clear sklies!

rhophi

Re: Low mag Binocs new [Re: Pinewood]
      #5510704 - 11/08/12 10:26 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I checked the web for all recommended options,

Any inputs?

Clear skies!

Hello Rho Phi,

I wrote of the AR-SX Fujinon, not the FMTR-SX. It was rather less expensive than the Viper or Meopta but still more costly than the Yosemite and Kowa, but it seems to be out of production, as well. It sold for about $150, a few years, ago.

There was a thread about them:

http://www.cloudynights.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php/Cat/1,2,3,4,5,8,10/Board/binoculars/Number/2936616/page/188/view/collapsed/sb/5/o/all/fpart/1

Clear skies,
Arthur Pinewood

Hi Arthur,

I checked the AR-SX as well, but these gems are no longer available.
I located a pair of used Fujinon 6x30 FMTR-SX (these could be an option if the price matches the condition).

Cheers!

Jae
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 04/13/06

Loc: New England
Re: Low mag Binocs new [Re: Plan9]
      #5510726 - 11/08/12 10:37 PM

Quote:

rhophi,

Have you seen these: Vortex 6x32

(not promoting Eagle, they just have that bin on sale, although my experience with them has been good).

Bill

I recommend these over the Vortex -if you get a good pair, they are better. First was not as good, second was better but not as good as the HD version but close at 1/3 the cost on sale.

http://www.eagleoptics.com/binoculars/eagle-optics/eagle-optics-ranger-srt-6x32-

ronharper
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 02/14/06

Re: Low mag Binocs new [Re: Jae]
      #5510760 - 11/08/12 10:53 PM

rho,
Get the FMT, unless the price is very high. They were about $300 new. Sometimes a seller will play the "rarity" game and try cut your throat. But if the condition is good, $250 would not be a bad price.

I had one, and the only thing in the world wrong with is that it was a 6x, which I decided was not enough for me. Excellent quality, mechanical and optical. It will out-bright, out-sharp and out-contrast almost everything that has been mentioned, and at least tie the Zeiss and Swaro.
Ron

RichD
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 11/08/07

Loc: Derbyshire, UK
Re: Low mag Binocs new [Re: ronharper]
      #5511123 - 11/09/12 07:38 AM

I agree with Ron, but I think he may be wrong about price. Expect to pay more like 300-350 USD for one of those. You really don't see that many around anymore, rarity game or not. The 8x30 model seems to go for similar money and is excellent also.

Shame they discontinued the AR-SX, they were great little binos. Tough and sharp, like the MT line the only thing they lacked was the awesome outer field sharpness of the FMT line.

planetmalc
sage

Reged: 10/21/09

#5511393 - 11/09/12 10:38 AM

Quote:

Quote:

rhophi,

Bill

Bill,

Thanks for the link, it is really interesting and lots of good information to digest.
I am planning to use the binoculars for Astronomy only.
When I said the 7x35 going deeper than what I want, I mean that I am looking for a pair of binocs that I feel like an extension of my eyes, but an enhaced vision (I just want to enhance my vision so I can see 4 and 5 magnitude stars...more than that will be a waste).
If I want to go deeper, I will use my scopes or other binocs that I own.

Clear sklies!

In that case, buy ANYTHING with a wide true field-of-view and just stop the objectives down until the instrument doesn't go deeper than mag 5 under your skies.

If this was MY project, and I wanted an instrument that I didn't have to stop down in order to limit it to mag 5, then I think I'd try to get hold of a pair of the Russian 2.3 x 40 wide-angle Galileans with their 28-degree (max) TFOV.

Aleko

Reged: 08/01/10

Loc: Georgia
Re: Low mag Binocs new [Re: planetmalc]
      #5512071 - 11/09/12 06:00 PM

Has anyone recommended 2.3x40 opera glasses yet? Can't remember where I got mine a few years ago. I can get entire constellations in the field of view, and see stars a couple of mags dimmer than what I normally see in my light polluted suburban skies. IIRC they cost ~$100. For "normal" astronomy I use 7x50s or image stabilized binocs, but for what the OP is wanting do do, these Chinese made opera glasses may be ideal.

Alex

EDIT: Sorry, don't know how I missed the previous post!

Edited by Aleko (11/09/12 06:06 PM)

rhophi

Re: Low mag Binocs new [Re: Jae]
      #5512213 - 11/09/12 07:37 PM

Quote:

Quote:

rhophi,

Have you seen these: Vortex 6x32

(not promoting Eagle, they just have that bin on sale, although my experience with them has been good).

Bill

I recommend these over the Vortex -if you get a good pair, they are better. First was not as good, second was better but not as good as the HD version but close at 1/3 the cost on sale.

http://www.eagleoptics.com/binoculars/eagle-optics/eagle-optics-ranger-srt-6x32-

Hi Jae,

The Eagle Optics Ranger SRT 6x32 binocs @ $180 have great reviews, these will be seriously considered...I will read more over the weekend.

Thanks for the lead!

Clear skies!

rhophi

Re: Low mag Binocs new [Re: RichD]
      #5512230 - 11/09/12 07:49 PM

Quote:

I agree with Ron, but I think he may be wrong about price. Expect to pay more like 300-350 USD for one of those. You really don't see that many around anymore, rarity game or not. The 8x30 model seems to go for similar money and is excellent also.

Shame they discontinued the AR-SX, they were great little binos. Tough and sharp, like the MT line the only thing they lacked was the awesome outer field sharpness of the FMT line.

Ron/Doug,

The Fujinon 6x30 FMTR-SX that I located are selling for $350. I do not know the condition, still wating for more information from the owner.
Fujinon are known to be excellent performers and this model is porro prism design, that based on what I have read are preferred for Astronomy. I have little to no experience with roof prism binocs, so for me it will be a new experience.

Cheers!

Plan9
professor emeritus

Reged: 01/28/08

Loc: Northern VA
Re: Low mag Binocs new [Re: Aleko]
      #5512238 - 11/09/12 07:55 PM

Quote:

I am looking for a pair of binocs that I feel like an extension of my eyes, but an enhaced vision (I just want to enhance my vision so I can see 4 and 5 magnitude stars...more than that will be a waste).

Actually, given this statement, I think the previous two posters are on to something. Opera glasses would give you low mag and very wide field (not quite sure about the latter). That would be what you need for the experience of "hyper vision". Even 6x binoculars are going to give you a binocular experience. You don't seem to be concerned about large aperture or optimum transmission.

When I google opera glasses, I find Zhumell, Barska, and Eschenbach show up - all "known" optics manufactures and the glasses range from $30 to $250. Nobody gives any specs so who knows what's good or what the FOV is. For all I know, the $250 glasses are the same but look cooler. Don't know if any of these are tolerable for CA, field flatness, or distortion.

Now I'm curious.

Bill

rhophi

Re: Low mag Binocs new [Re: Aleko]
      #5512239 - 11/09/12 07:55 PM

Quote:

Has anyone recommended 2.3x40 opera glasses yet? Can't remember where I got mine a few years ago. I can get entire constellations in the field of view, and see stars a couple of mags dimmer than what I normally see in my light polluted suburban skies. IIRC they cost ~$100. For "normal" astronomy I use 7x50s or image stabilized binocs, but for what the OP is wanting do do, these Chinese made opera glasses may be ideal.

Alex

EDIT: Sorry, don't know how I missed the previous post!

Hi Planetmalc/Aleko,

I read a review here in Cloudy Nights about this model. It was posted back in 2008 about the Owl Eyes: 2.3x40 Russian Binoculars.
The concept and the numbers look perfect for my project, but I had no luck in locating them.

Clear skies!

Joad
Wordsmith

Reged: 03/22/05

#5512252 - 11/09/12 08:13 PM

The Miyauchi 5X32 Binon might fit the bill, but, alas, it has long since been discontinued.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)

Extra information
2 registered and 23 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Knuklhdastrnmr, WOBentley 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 5058

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics