Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Binoculars

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)
BillC
on a new path

Reged: 06/04/04

Loc: Lake Stevens, WA, USA
Re: Low mag Binocs new [Re: RichD]
      #5512297 - 11/09/12 08:52 PM Attachment (32 downloads)

Quote:

I agree with Ron, but I think he may be wrong about price. Expect to pay more like 300-350 USD for one of those. You really don't see that many around anymore, rarity game or not. The 8x30 model seems to go for similar money and is excellent also.

Shame they discontinued the AR-SX, they were great little binos. Tough and sharp, like the MT line the only thing they lacked was the awesome outer field sharpness of the FMT line.

Hi Rich:

Fujinon may not be selling the AR to the American public, but it is still around. It is the current US Army’s M22; it was the Swift Seahawk; former Simmons 1170, etc.

The one Swift sold, right before the company sold out, is in the middle of the photo—between the FMTRC-SX and the Steiner Admiral. Note the improved oculars ala Carton’s “Adlerblick Fernglasser” (How’s that for a name to make people THINK it’s German?)

I always got MY shipments from Kama Tech (kamakura on US soil) though each time I say that, Gordon pipes up to say they’re made by Katsuma.

I REALLY DON’T KNOW OR CARE!

I just know I got all MY parts from Kama Tech and whenever there was a warranty issue, Fujinon would have me send it to Kama Tech.

Thus, I don’t have a dog in this race; I’m just giving you something to think about.

Cheers,

BillC

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
faackanders2
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 03/28/11

Re: Low mag Binocs new [Re: rhophi]
      #5512361 - 11/09/12 09:48 PM

How low do you want to go?

Kasai goes as low as 2.3x40mm and 28 deg TFOV but almost zero eye relief (must be used w/o glasses). For these I have bought a hands free headset that makes me look like "owl man" but havn't used the head set for meteor showers yet. I would not recommend these as your first bino though since they are only 2.3x, but they are great for what they do and the sky looks like the sky charts and it makes you feel like you have binonic eyes.

I also have a 7x32mm UW 14 deg TFOV; an 8x40 UW 9.4 deg TFOV 5mm exit pupil, and Vixen 10x50 SW 8.5 deg TFOV 5mm exit pupil 7m eye relief.

One advantage of wide binos you can use them for sports, music, panoramics, and kids events too!

Binojunky
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 12/25/10

Re: Low mag Binocs new [Re: faackanders2]
      #5512379 - 11/09/12 10:07 PM

I have a pair of Russian 4x36 Galileon style glasses, made in the USSR,came in a nice leather case, all metal construction with lovely coatings, picked then up NOS a few years back for about $25, the booklet says"Opera Glass", 8 degree FOV, made in 1989, to be honest I have never used them on the night sky however I will at the first chance,DA.

faackanders2
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Low mag Binocs new [Re: Binojunky]
      #5512430 - 11/09/12 11:01 PM

Quote:

I have a pair of Russian 4x36 Galileon style glasses, made in the USSR,came in a nice leather case, all metal construction with lovely coatings, picked then up NOS a few years back for about $25, the booklet says"Opera Glass", 8 degree FOV, made in 1989, to be honest I have never used them on the night sky however I will at the first chance,DA.

I wonder if these are similar design, or same manufacturer as the original russian 2.3x40mm?

faackanders2
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Low mag Binocs new [Re: faackanders2]
      #5512485 - 11/09/12 11:39 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I wonder if these are similar design, or same manufacturer as the original russian 2.3x40mm?

No, looked totally different, and greatly narrower AFOV and TFOV.

Jae
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 04/13/06

Loc: New England
      #5512527 - 11/10/12 12:16 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

rhophi,

Have you seen these: Vortex 6x32

(not promoting Eagle, they just have that bin on sale, although my experience with them has been good).

Bill

I recommend these over the Vortex -if you get a good pair, they are better. First was not as good, second was better but not as good as the HD version but close at 1/3 the cost on sale.

http://www.eagleoptics.com/binoculars/eagle-optics/eagle-optics-ranger-srt-6x32-

Hi Jae,

The Eagle Optics Ranger SRT 6x32 binocs @ $180 have great reviews, these will be seriously considered...I will read more over the weekend.

Thanks for the lead!

Clear skies!

Yep, I won these from Eagle Optics but after carefully looking at left and right side, I found the right side sharper so I returned them for another pair then the ranking switched where these were right between the Viper and the Viper HD. You can see my review of the HD 6x32 at the site.

I still think the Viper 6x32s are excellent and enjoy using them over at my mothers (gave them to her).

I'm spoiled by Swarovision but Rangers are so good you wonder why anyone would spend the $ for anything more. Also eagle optics service is amazing.

Mark9473
Postmaster

Reged: 07/21/05

Loc: 51°N 4°E
Re: Low mag Binocs new [Re: Jae]
      #5512680 - 11/10/12 04:55 AM

The Viper 6x32 still have only 8° TFOV - what's the point in that, if there are 7x35 and 8x40 having a wider TFOV?

Grimnir
sage

Reged: 04/28/10

Loc: London, England.
Re: Low mag Binocs new [Re: Mark9473]
      #5512725 - 11/10/12 06:11 AM

I'm surprised no-one has mentioned the Bushnell Xtra-Wide 4x30.

I have no experience of them so I have no idea whether they are good (within their obvious limitations) or bad.

For quality wide field views the Nikon EII 8x30 should be considered.

Graham

Jae
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 04/13/06

Loc: New England
Re: Low mag Binocs new [Re: Mark9473]
      #5512762 - 11/10/12 07:30 AM

Quote:

The Viper 6x32 still have only 8° TFOV - what's the point in that, if there are 7x35 and 8x40 having a wider TFOV?

Excellent point, I agree. The only offset is they are so easy to hold steady, very easy on the eyes.

But I do love wide field of view as well ....but which 6x bino has a 60-70 afov and why don't they make them? Maybe same reason why 7x50's porros are less often found with a wide field?

planetmalc
sage

Reged: 10/21/09

Re: Low mag Binocs new [Re: Grimnir]
      #5512881 - 11/10/12 09:45 AM

Quote:

I'm surprised no-one has mentioned the Bushnell Xtra-Wide 4x30.

I have no experience of them so I have no idea whether they are good (within their obvious limitations) or bad.

Graham

I tried a pair in a shop and liked what I saw, but they're fixed-focus and that would be a problem if the OP is short-sighted.

Gordon Rayner
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 03/24/07

Re: Low mag Binocs new [Re: BillC]
      #5513440 - 11/10/12 04:49 PM

The above statement about Kamakura and Katsuma:

The one in the picture is a Kamakura. I was at a meeting before the M-22 contract was finalized. Lots of government paperwork which often had little to do with product quality.

Earlier, the Tasco 8 x 30 and 7 x 50 sold to USMC ( I have dozens with cracked glue from Camp Pendleton) , and some to the Navy, as well as ( one model of ) the Swift commercial 7 x 50 , were Katsuma.

The very wide angle Bushnell 4X uses at least some mirrors, instead of prisms , seemed to have a bluish tint in the specimens I saw, and was a Kamakura product.

Bcpaq
journeyman

Reged: 10/23/12

Loc: Texas Hill Country
Re: Low mag Binocs new [Re: Gordon Rayner]
      #5513511 - 11/10/12 06:19 PM

I love my Yosemite 6x30s.

For the price you can't go wrong. If you have the big bucks, then go for the high end binocs, but if you are on a budget these Leupolds are great.

BillC
on a new path

Reged: 06/04/04

Loc: Lake Stevens, WA, USA
Re: Low mag Binocs new [Re: Bcpaq]
      #5513734 - 11/10/12 09:50 PM

"I was at a meeting before the M-22 contract was finalized."

In what capacity were you in at that meeting?

Cheers,

Bill

Aleko

Reged: 08/01/10

Loc: Georgia
Re: Low mag Binocs new [Re: BillC]
      #5514349 - 11/11/12 11:57 AM

Back to opera glasses...

This thread inspired me to take mine along on an observing run last night. These 2.3x40's are listed as 28 degree field. I measured the field to be closer to 19 degrees, which was still wide enough to take in all of Orion or Gemini. I was at a dark site, and Orion especially was filled with stars. Very cool capturing the entire constellation in one view.

I found one place that lists what I have, but they may be a wholesaler. Nonetheless, perhaps they can lead to you someone who sells them...

United Optics

Alex

rhophi

Reged: 10/22/11

Loc: Bay Area, CA
Re: Low mag Binocs new [Re: Jae]
      #5515315 - 11/11/12 11:53 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Excellent point, I agree. The only offset is they are so easy to hold steady, very easy on the eyes.

But I do love wide field of view as well ....but which 6x bino has a 60-70 afov and why don't they make them? Maybe same reason why 7x50's porros are less often found with a wide field?

Since the night sky has been very clear in Northern Cal lately. Yesterday I took the 10x50 UltraView to check a couple of red stars (Mu Cephei and 19 TX Piscium) the latter lies just south of the Great Square of Pegasus and to the east of the Pisces Circlet. While observing this beautiful carbon star I switched to the Circlet to see if I could watch the whole Circlet, but only 70% of the Circlet fit in the FOV.

The 10x50 UltraView AFOV = 6.5 Deg.

This intrigued me and this morning I quickly searched for the AFOV of the various candidate binocs and this is what I found:

7x35 Nikon Action Extreme AFOV = 9.3 Deg
7x50 Nikon Action Extreme AFOV = 6.2 Deg (I guess this one delivers brighter views)
6x32 Vortex Viper AFOV = 8 deg
I was not able to find the AFOV for Eagle Optics Ranger SRT 6x32
The 7x35 Nikon and 6x32 Viper look promising for the task.

rhophi

Re: Low mag Binocs new [Re: Aleko]
      #5515373 - 11/12/12 12:36 AM

Quote:

Back to opera glasses...

This thread inspired me to take mine along on an observing run last night. These 2.3x40's are listed as 28 degree field. I measured the field to be closer to 19 degrees, which was still wide enough to take in all of Orion or Gemini. I was at a dark site, and Orion especially was filled with stars. Very cool capturing the entire constellation in one view.

I found one place that lists what I have, but they may be a wholesaler. Nonetheless, perhaps they can lead to you someone who sells them...

United Optics

Alex

Alex,

Thanks for sharing the experience, seems like these 2.3x40 with 28 Deg FOV give space walk effect.
These opera glasses are really interesting, but Kunming Unted Optics is a manufacturer in China, I have not been able to find a retailer to purchase direct.

Cheers!

Pinewood
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 12/07/04

Loc: 40.77638º N 73.982652 W
      #5516739 - 11/12/12 08:58 PM

Quote:

I was not able to find the AFOV for Eagle Optics Ranger SRT 6x32

Hello RhoPhi,

From a 409 foot field of view, I calculate 7.76º TFOV or 46.5º apparent field of view.

Clear skies,
Arthur Pinewood

Edited by Pinewood (11/12/12 09:00 PM)

rhophi

Re: Low mag Binocs new [Re: Pinewood]
      #5517838 - 11/13/12 12:32 PM

Hi Arthur,

Thanks for the info.

Clear skies!

rhophi

#5517848 - 11/13/12 12:36 PM

After reading your comments and multiple reviews in the web.

I decided to go with the Eagle Optics Ranger SRT 6x32.

I just ordered them from Eagle Optics.

I will provide an update as soon as I receive them and the winter skies give me a chance.

Clear skies!

faackanders2
Carpal Tunnel

#5528747 - 11/19/12 08:33 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Back to opera glasses...

United Optics

Alex

Alex,

Thanks for sharing the experience, seems like these 2.3x40 with 28 Deg FOV give space walk effect.
These opera glasses are really interesting, but Kunming Unted Optics is a manufacturer in China, I have not been able to find a retailer to purchase direct.

Cheers!

Kasai in Japan sells them, and has a link to the hands free headset and 48mm filter holders. The hands free headset is worth it, if you don't mind loking like owl-man

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)

Extra information
5 registered and 33 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Knuklhdastrnmr, WOBentley 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 5171

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics