Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1
BKBrown
Post Laureate

Reged: 08/23/09

Loc: Northern Virginia, USA
Question on Balancing a Side-By-Side Rig
      #5512114 - 11/09/12 06:29 PM Attachment (20 downloads)

Now that I have some place permanent to set my stuff up, I am trying out a side-by-side mounting scheme. So, now I have the C11 Edge and SW100ED mounted on an ADM side-by-side bar with a Losmandy saddle on one side and a dual saddle on the right. After adjusting the 100ED's position a bit I easily balanced the whole rig in RA, and also in DEC when the tubes are between roughly 30 degrees above the horizon. Below that and they start to drop off slowly. Is there likely to be any long term issue with this balance or should I keep working at it? Any ideas on how to make the DEC balance better? Thanks!

Clear Skies,
Brian

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
BKBrown
Post Laureate

Re: Question on Balancing a Side-By-Side Rig new [Re: BKBrown]
      #5512116 - 11/09/12 06:30 PM Attachment (17 downloads)

And here is another look...

Clear Skies,
Brian

DaveJ
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 01/07/05

Loc: NE Ohio
Re: Question on Balancing a Side-By-Side Rig new [Re: BKBrown]
      #5512196 - 11/09/12 07:25 PM Attachment (11 downloads)

Quote:

I am trying out a side-by-side mounting scheme. So, now I have the C11 Edge and SW100ED mounted on an ADM side-by-side bar with a Losmandy saddle on one side and a dual saddle on the right. After adjusting the 100ED's position a bit I easily balanced the whole rig in RA, and also in DEC when the tubes are between roughly 30 degrees above the horizon. Below that and they start to drop off slowly. Is there likely to be any long term issue with this balance or should I keep working at it? Any ideas on how to make the DEC balance better?

Here's absolutely everything you need to know to get perfect side-by-side balance: link Using these instructions, I achieved perfect balance with these two extremely dissimilar scopes within five minutes. It's so easy, it's kinda scary!

BKBrown
Post Laureate

Re: Question on Balancing a Side-By-Side Rig new [Re: DaveJ]
      #5513096 - 11/10/12 12:04 PM

Thanks Dave, great article! I'll be putting that information to work today. Had a marathon imaging session last night and everything, including the tracking, worked well...I just want to take it easy on the hardware with a spot on balance.

Clear Skies,
Brian

Pages: 1

Extra information
13 registered and 28 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay, iceblaze 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 505

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics