Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Astrophotography and Sketching >> Sketching

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Chopin
Canis Insanus

Reged: 02/03/05

Loc: In the doghouse.
Almaak 2012 11 09
      #5512812 - 11/10/12 08:08 AM

As a novice sketcher, I'm attempting to combine my interest in simple targets while refining my ideas for sketching (both at the eyepiece and of the finished product).

Last night I spent 30 minutes or so observing Almaak (Gamma Andromedae) in my 110mm Newt. The object itself was a striking blast of color and contrast against the sky. I chose 100x, a slightly lower power for this target, mainly to exercise some ideas I've had to record stars in my sketch.

In the pencil sketch you will note how I recorded my observation. First I drew the brightest stars, each numbered to represent approximate brightness order. Next I marked the remaining faint direct vision stars with unlabelled points. Finally I noted the positions for the remaining averted vision stars that scattered the background using a small "x".

Once scanned into my computer I was able to create a multiple layer image in Photoshop, working with the star layers individually. This gave me complete control of the brightness representation through the process. I'm fairly happy with the result. I took some recent suggestions to reduce the size of my bright stars a bit (un-bloating them, so to speak). I've also added some diffuse glow to the brighter stars to represent the eyepiece view.

Additional comments and criticisms are always welcome.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Asbytec
Guy in a furry hat

Reged: 08/08/07

Loc: La Union, PI
Re: Almaak 2012 11 09 new [Re: Chopin]
      #5512820 - 11/10/12 08:20 AM

Criticism: N/A Well, maybe the companion appears too greenish on my monitor. Unless of course, that's the color you saw.

Beautiful. You put a lot of effort into it, Jason. It shows. Your technique is working nicely. I really like the way you're representing the star field, including the glow. I include my big hairy MCT diffraction patterns, too. LOL

Scope is cold, gotta run...

BTW, check out this gold mine of a thread.
http://www.cloudynights.com/ubbarchive/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/645976/page/...

Edited by Asbytec (11/10/12 09:07 AM)

Andrev
Post Laureate

Reged: 02/08/11

Loc: Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Re: Almaak 2012 11 09 new [Re: Asbytec]
      #5512920 - 11/10/12 10:19 AM

Jason.

Its really beautiful. I like is so much.

Andre.

Chopin
Canis Insanus

#5512997 - 11/10/12 11:03 AM

Quote:

Criticism: N/A Well, maybe the companion appears too greenish on my monitor. Unless of course, that's the color you saw.

Beautiful. You put a lot of effort into it, Jason. It shows. Your technique is working nicely. I really like the way you're representing the star field, including the glow. I include my big hairy MCT diffraction patterns, too. LOL

Scope is cold, gotta run...

BTW, check out this gold mine of a thread.
http://www.cloudynights.com/ubbarchive/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/645976/page/...

Thanks for the input, Norme. I recall following that thread years back, and was impressed with the attention to detail. Thanks for the resource.

Regarding the blue component star, it may be that my monitor is balanced poorly. I'd love to hear if others are picking up more green than blue. It could also be the diffusion of the yellow star that is causing an optical illusion. Admittedly, I was running into some difficulty choosing the color so that is showed the blue I was seeing, without appearing too blue.

Chopin
Canis Insanus

Re: Almaak 2012 11 09 new [Re: Andrev]
      #5513002 - 11/10/12 11:05 AM

Quote:

Jason.

Its really beautiful. I like is so much.

Andre.

Thank you, Andre.

Asbytec
Guy in a furry hat

#5513153 - 11/10/12 12:48 PM

Jason, was thinking about you out observing some doubles tonight. (Sketches coming, maybe...) Yea, one of the hard things for me is really keeping a good mental image of the color. Once you get on the PC's 1 million color palate, they all look right.

Then, yea, (I say "yea" a lot), so okay, yea, sometimes the primary's color influences the companion's color. It does to me, anyway. Looking at a couple of doubles in Aries, 1 Ari and Gamma, they are listed as green. Green? Looked more ruddy to me. But, Green? (No reference to your green, just a coincidence.)

http://dvaa.org/AData/ADDoubles.html

I really do like the way you are approaching your double star sketching. Your stars look realistic.

Jef De Wit
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 03/06/09

Loc: Hove, Belgium
      #5513982 - 11/11/12 04:16 AM

Quote:

Your technique is working nicely

I can only agree!

Rutilus
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 12/17/10

Re: Almaak 2012 11 09 new [Re: Jef De Wit]
      #5514628 - 11/11/12 03:12 PM

Nice work.

frank5817
Postmaster

Reged: 06/13/06

Loc: Illinois
Re: Almaak 2012 11 09 new [Re: Rutilus]
      #5515073 - 11/11/12 08:56 PM

Jason,

That is a good looking capture of the pair.

Frank

JimPie
professor emeritus

Reged: 11/10/07

Loc: S.E.Michigan
Re: Almaak 2012 11 09 new [Re: frank5817]
      #5515966 - 11/12/12 01:00 PM

Very nice sketch Jason.
To me the companion appears the right hue. But might be over saturated a little.

Chopin
Canis Insanus

Re: Almaak 2012 11 09 new [Re: JimPie]
      #5516421 - 11/12/12 06:02 PM

Rutilus and Frank, thank you for the kind words.

Chopin
Canis Insanus

Re: Almaak 2012 11 09 new [Re: JimPie]
      #5516427 - 11/12/12 06:05 PM

Quote:

Very nice sketch Jason.
To me the companion appears the right hue. But might be over saturated a little.

Thank you, Jim. I had been thinking that just yesterday when I glanced at the image again. Maybe I'll attempt to desaturate the companion and repost to see if it hits the mark. What else do I have to do with all these darn clouds?!?

stray1
sage

Reged: 09/03/12

Loc: SW Ohio
      #5517288 - 11/13/12 05:22 AM

Fantastic sketch, Jason!

I see the companion as a definite blue. The greenish effect that some are seeing might be caused by the mixing of the yellow diffuse glow of the primary with the blue of the companion. To me this appears to be an optical illusion.

-stray-

niteskystargazer
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 10/05/09

Loc: 41-43'-28" N 87-42'-39" W
      #5518323 - 11/13/12 05:04 PM

Jason,

Nice sketch of Almaak .

CS,KLU,

Tom

Chopin
Canis Insanus

Re: Almaak 2012 11 09 new [Re: stray1]
      #5518695 - 11/13/12 09:05 PM

Quote:

Fantastic sketch, Jason!

I see the companion as a definite blue. The greenish effect that some are seeing might be caused by the mixing of the yellow diffuse glow of the primary with the blue of the companion. To me this appears to be an optical illusion.

-stray-

Thanks, Stray. I've been reading some interesting observational reports that have been made of Almaak, and descriptions of the companion range from icy blue to dirty greenish. It's amazing to me how different eyes can observe varying colors in the same subject. I may just leave the sketch as is. We'll call it an "honest impression".

Ibmelrod
sage

Reged: 10/18/04

Loc: Ontario Canada
      #5518813 - 11/13/12 10:22 PM

Nice work Jason!

Asbytec
Guy in a furry hat

Re: Almaak 2012 11 09 new [Re: Ibmelrod]
      #5518932 - 11/13/12 11:52 PM

Jason, Stray has made it clear my brain suffers from optical illusions. Grrrr!

Yes, report it as you see it, doing otherwise is cheating. To me, the companion is a soft robin's egg blue. But, that may be a function of magnification (hence separation) used. The closer the companion is, maybe the more the primary affects it. Dunno, just a guess. Try it at higher power, say over 200 to 250x. See if your perception changes.

stray1
sage

#5519032 - 11/14/12 03:22 AM Attachment (6 downloads)

Quote:

Quote:

Fantastic sketch, Jason!

-stray-

Thanks, Stray. I've been reading some interesting observational reports that have been made of Almaak, and descriptions of the companion range from icy blue to dirty greenish. It's amazing to me how different eyes can observe varying colors in the same subject. I may just leave the sketch as is. We'll call it an "honest impression".

Heck, after reading the commentary on colors, I decided to give Almaak a glassing for myself (was planning on spending some time with Mintaka, but that can wait).

Okay, first look at Almaak was a heart-skipping experience (and what binary isn't? I always feel like a little kid at an Easter egg hunt with these gems!) The primary appeared as a light tangerine disc, almost golden in color; however, the companion was more gray than blue. I could sort of see a bluish tint to it, but my seeing was not all that good this morning (it was like trying to focus in on a spinning, flashing disco ball). I'll describe it as a mint cream whitish, beau bluish, timberwolf grayish object leaning heavily toward lupine gray.

-stray-

Asbytec
Guy in a furry hat

Re: Almaak 2012 11 09 new [Re: stray1]
      #5519055 - 11/14/12 04:24 AM

LOL, you're memorizing and using the "flowery" list. And your putting Sketch paint to artistic use. Very nice, by the way.

That's how I see it, even on my monitor. But, sure enough others have reported green, er magic mint with a touch of honeydew, maybe.

stray1
sage

#5520483 - 11/15/12 01:59 AM

Quote:

But, sure enough others have reported green, er magic mint with a touch of honeydew, maybe.

Alright gentlemen, I just got home from work a half hour ago; it is 1:55AM; I'm wearing two pair of thermals under my BDU trousers because it is 27-degrees outside currently and I'm going out there to see if I can detect any "minty green" on a tiny point of light in the sky.

My wife thinks I'm losing my mind.

-stray-

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 5 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  cildarith, JayinUT, WOBentley 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1964

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics