Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

General Astronomy >> General Observing and Astronomy

Pages: 1
DavidC
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 11/24/05

Loc: Mesa, Arizona
Early am, clouds & rain. An observers nightmare.
      #5513093 - 11/10/12 12:01 PM

Well between getting up before daylight, cloud cover, and rain, the last week has been an observers nightmare. But the weather's going to be drying out here for the next several days, and I plan to take advantage of it. With Veteran's Day being observed on Monday there is no work, so I'm going to go observing Monday night. I'll be tired the next day, but we need to sacrifice something, right? There's always caffeine and red bull. I live in a red zone and a green zone is about 45 minutes travel time for me, and the only light dome I will have is in back of me to the west. It will be nice again to see the Milkyway in it's full glory, Jupiter, and all the other DSO's I haven't seen for a while. I'm looking forward to getting out again, and I need to start building my observing lists. It will be a little chilly at night for this desert rat, but it will be worth it.
David

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
csa/montana
Den Mama

Reged: 05/14/05

Loc: montana
Re: Early am, clouds & rain. An observers nightmare. new [Re: DavidC]
      #5513221 - 11/10/12 01:47 PM

Uhhh, a worst observer's nightmare is getting over a foot of snow dumped on you, in a 24 hr period. This happened here, yesterday.

DavidC
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 11/24/05

Loc: Mesa, Arizona
Re: Early am, clouds & rain. An observers nightmare. new [Re: csa/montana]
      #5513487 - 11/10/12 05:46 PM

Well sorry I guess I'm wrong. No, mistaken. You can always get on your parka, get out the snow shovel and clear out an area big enough for your equipment. Then get on you ski boots, pants and coat, make something hot to drink and go observing. I don't know what's worse, 25 degrees and you can't ever get warm enough, or 110 degrees and you sweat your brains out, and can't get cool enough. I guess we all make the best of any situation that comes to us.
David

csa/montana
Den Mama

#5513505 - 11/10/12 06:06 PM

Nah, not wrong! Some of the very best observing for me, is during winter; however when it's completely overcast, that does hinder it a bit. I don't even have to clear off the snow for my equipment, just open the roof of the dobservatory.

HellsKitchen
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 09/05/08

Loc: Melbourne Australia
      #5513940 - 11/11/12 02:27 AM

High cloud has been my source of rage lately. Yesterday was clear all day and I checked the satpic to make sure it will stay clear, but sure enough high cloud was visible on the satpic moving in just in time for sunset, and clearing by sunrise. Today dawned clear, clear all day and now yet again as the sun goes down, high cloud is racing in.

And this has occured many many times this year, my nerves are freaking frayed

Jon Isaacs
Postmaster

Reged: 06/16/04

Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA
Re: Early am, clouds & rain. An observers nightmare. new [Re: HellsKitchen]
      #5514073 - 11/11/12 08:19 AM

We all have different crosses to bear. My house is about 5 miles from the ocean so clouds rolling in during the night and remaining until they burn off after sunrise is pretty much standard operating procedure. It's not a question of if but rather when...

The other of the coin is that if one is observing from the nearby mountains where it is above the marine layer, then those same clouds may seal off the light dome from the city and further darken the skies...

Last night was a pleasant surprise. We were out in the mountains, It was windy (up to 30 mph) and cold (not quite freezing) but it had been mostly cloudy all day. After sunset I went out to lock up the place and it had suddenly cleared up and I had a glorious evening under the stars.

Jon

Pinbout
Postmaster

Reged: 02/22/10

Loc: nj
Re: Early am, clouds & rain. An observers nightmare. new [Re: Jon Isaacs]
      #5514180 - 11/11/12 10:09 AM

Jon,

speaking of winds, how fast do the winds have to be to shut down your 25" scope?

BigC
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 09/29/10

Loc: SE Indiana
      #5514322 - 11/11/12 11:41 AM

The last three nights have been excellent here although only last night did I get out a scope.Spent some time checking out M42 with different eyepieces.10" f6 Dob and 32mm 2" EP on a dark night and one begins to see the vast extent of the nebula. Saw both M42 and M43 and another smaller patch near the belt that MAY have been part of the Horsehead.

Ran across a bright golden star-sure didn't look red or even orange as eye of the bull is said to look.Be nice to have DSC on this Dob,I wonder if Sky Scout will work since the tube is non-metallic?

Jupiter and moons very good,planet very steady.

THIS scope has nice optics and I am thinking a better focuser with finer adjustment will let me get the most from it.

I'm thinking the best accessory is Carol's observatory.No setup time,no carrying stuff out.

JayinUT
I'm not Sleepy

Reged: 09/19/08

Loc: Utah
      #5514459 - 11/11/12 01:08 PM

I also received over a foot of snow over the last two days. Now it warms back to the 50's so next Friday will look really good for a good night out. Love that it is dark so early.

On another note, there are things worse than not observing. We got rear ended yesterday. The back is hurting and sore but at least my wife and I didn't have more serious impacts. Wish it hadn't happen but now the car goes in for repairs as we will also (the entire back end was damaged. The other driver hit us on the left rear here as she made an illegal lane change and unsafe lane change and got cited for it). Oh, weather wasn't a major factor here, snow plows entered the Interstate, slowing traffic and the other driver just didn't make a safe lane change

Edited by JayinUT (11/11/12 04:12 PM)

csa/montana
Den Mama

Re: Early am, clouds & rain. An observers nightmare. new [Re: JayinUT]
      #5514485 - 11/11/12 01:27 PM

Wow! Jay, sorry about the accident; but be sure both of you are checked out; injuries could be "hidden".

Pages: 1

Extra information
9 registered and 13 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  cildarith, panhard, tecmage 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 458

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics