Telescope Specific Forums >> Questar Forum

Pages: 1
Stephen S
professor emeritus

Reged: 08/21/07

Loc: Carmel, IN
Tristand and Stool Options new
      #5510400 - 11/08/12 06:54 PM

My Questar has quickly become my most used and cherished scope. Thinking of ordering a Tristand to go with it. I won't bother asking if folks have been happy with the Tristand since I've seen nothing but good reviews. I am curious as to wether the leveling feet are worth while.

I'm debating whether to get the Televue observing stool to go with the Tristand. Has anyone used this combination? Any thoughts? Love the Questar and looking forward to pair it with an equally user friendly mount. Any thoughts on the usability and ideal configuration of the Tristand would be most appreciated.

Thanks! Steve S

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Billydee
professor emeritus

Reged: 01/23/08

Loc: Winter Haven, FL
Re: Tristand and Stool Options new [Re: Stephen S]
      #5510545 - 11/08/12 08:56 PM

You have a couple of ways to get a Tristand. Order it from Questar (the highest cost), order it from our CN host company (some discount & drop shipment from Questar) and order it from FJR at a lower price (FJR made the Tristand for Questar for years and really designed it)(now that Questar is owned by a CNC machine company they also make the Tristand). Both of these are exactly the same Tristand. I do understand that Questar can provide other colors again (blue was always my choice).

I use the leveling feet to insure the Q is level for tracking reasons (you can always order it without the leveling feet and add them later, they just screw into existing items on the legs (no modification necessary)).

I think you will be very happy with your purchase. It is a thing of wonder and has great resale value.

Luck, Bill

Edited by Billydee (11/08/12 08:59 PM)

Brent
sage

Reged: 11/18/04

Loc: NE Missouri
Re: Tristand and Stool Options new [Re: Billydee]
      #5511363 - 11/09/12 10:22 AM

Steve,

I have the Tristand and the Televue Air Chair observing stool. I do love the Televue stool, but it does not go low enough to accommodate easy viewing of objects near zenith. That is, if the object I'm looking at is really high in the sky, it is more comfortable to push the stool out of the way and kneel on the ground than to sit on the stool and lean over double and crane the neck back.

I should mention that I'm right about 6' tall. I use an earlier version of the Kendrick observing chair. The seat on that goes much lower than that on the Air Chair. Although the Air Chair design makes adjusting the height an effortless affair, I find the Kendrick works better for observing. I think Orion also offers a chair much like the Kendrick in design, although you'd have to check the specs. for height, etc.

For what it's worth,

Brent

Billydee
professor emeritus

Re: Tristand and Stool Options new [Re: Brent]
      #5511839 - 11/09/12 03:15 PM

Steve,

There was a OB/GYN that Posted a number of times on this Fourm and he used an exam stool for his Questar/Tristand observations.

Luck, Bill

Stephen S
professor emeritus

#5515153 - 11/11/12 10:04 PM

This is precise the type of info I was looking for! I'm right around 6' myself so the info concerning the stool is very helpful.

Thanks! Steve S.

justfred

Reged: 09/24/10

Loc: Birmingham, Alabama, USA
Re: Tristand and Stool Options [Re: Stephen S]
      #5515589 - 11/12/12 08:07 AM

Steve,
Consider the Starbound Observing Chair also. Simple and rugged. I use mine a lot with my Tristand and love it. Do get it in white . .it is a little heavy but that is a good thing.

Fred

Stephen S
professor emeritus

Re: Tristand and Stool Options new [Re: justfred]
      #5547819 - 11/30/12 08:29 PM

I really appreciate this feedback. I still have yet to purchase the Tristand (still using the a Meade 884 Deluxe Tripod). However, I did settle on a stool option. I decided to get a drum throne, the Roc N Soc NR Nitro Gas Lift Drum Throne specifically.

http://rocnsoc.com/nitro-throne.html

It was a bit cheaper than the TV version and oh so very comfortable. It also sits a tad lower than the TV, which I suspect will be helpful, with a similar expansion range. I hope to really try it out this weekend. I can hardly wait!

Thanks again for the feedback. It was incredibly helpful as I explored my options.

Thanks! Steve S.

erniewan

Reged: 11/08/10

Loc: Rocky River, Ohio
Re: Tristand and Stool Options new [Re: Stephen S]
      #5585400 - 12/23/12 11:14 AM

You can't go wrong with the Roc n Soc. Their nitros are excellent. They also have all parts needed down the road should anything need to be replaced on a component level repair.

Gordon Reade

Reged: 02/28/06

#5665713 - 02/06/13 05:33 PM

How much of a savings do you get from FJR?

Thanks!

Quote:

You have a couple of ways to get a Tristand. Order it from Questar (the highest cost), order it from our CN host company (some discount & drop shipment from Questar) and order it from FJR at a lower price (FJR made the Tristand for Questar for years and really designed it)(now that Questar is owned by a CNC machine company they also make the Tristand). Both of these are exactly the same Tristand. I do understand that Questar can provide other colors again (blue was always my choice).

I use the leveling feet to insure the Q is level for tracking reasons (you can always order it without the leveling feet and add them later, they just screw into existing items on the legs (no modification necessary)).

I think you will be very happy with your purchase. It is a thing of wonder and has great resale value.

Luck, Bill

Billydee
professor emeritus

Re: Tristand and Stool Options new [Re: Gordon Reade]
      #5665994 - 02/06/13 08:54 PM

Gordon,

Anacortes (the owner of AstroMart) lists FJR as follows:

TriStand $1399

Leveling feet includes Site Glass $95

Casters $115

Anacortes does not list what they charge for Questar Tri-Stands. They also give a 5% discount (cash, check or wire), 4% discount (Visa, MC) on your next order so if you bought the Tristand for $1399 you would get a credit of $69.95 toward the leveling feet if you paid by check and did two orders)

Astronomics (owners of Cloudy Nights) lists Questars Price:

TriStand $1325 (Drop Shipped)(call and check price as I am told Questar just raised all Q prices)

Leveling Feet $125

Casters $150

Astronomics gives a discount (they will tell you how much but I think it is 2.5% but I'm not sure on a drop shipment).

It is your choice on which one is best but please call each one and get the today cost.

Please call FJR and they may have a lower price.

Call Questar and check on the current price they are charging.

I understand that other suppliers also offer these products and some at a discount.

Luck, Bill

Gordon Reade

Reged: 02/28/06

#5666147 - 02/06/13 10:20 PM

Thank you.

Steve's 50th

Reged: 07/30/11

Re: Tristand and Stool Options new [Re: Gordon Reade]
      #5672847 - 02/10/13 06:43 PM

Really good information and advice Bill!

t.r.
Post Laureate

Reged: 02/14/08

Loc: Upstate NY
Re: Tristand and Stool Options new [Re: Steve's 50th]
      #5690454 - 02/20/13 09:22 AM

Got to play with a 3.5 on a tristand one night at a star party...a complete,high quality,mini/portable system that worked flawlessly is the impression I walked away with! Have fun and share the views!

Steve C.
sage

Reged: 01/24/08

Loc: Sugar Land, TX
Re: Tristand and Stool Options new [Re: t.r.]
      #5708624 - 03/02/13 11:34 AM

There's a Tristand listed over on AM.

http://www.astromart.com/classifieds/details.asp?classified_id=812785

Steve C.
sage

Reged: 01/24/08

Loc: Sugar Land, TX
Re: Tristand and Stool Options new [Re: Steve C.]
      #5708766 - 03/02/13 12:45 PM

Quote:

There's a Tristand listed over on AM.

http://www.astromart.com/classifieds/details.asp?classified_id=812785

Well, that was quick. It sold.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Brian Risley 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4521

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics