Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

General Astronomy >> Outreach

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
James Ling
sage

Reged: 09/18/10

Loc: Singapore
Re: Year End Astronomy Outreach In Singapore new [Re: James Ling]
      #5563627 - 12/10/12 06:57 AM Attachment (62 downloads)

Hi All...

You can see two more scopes over another corner for public to view...at Jupiter....

At least this time, we have plenty of scopes to allow the public to move around, instead of the long queues that used to line up behind my Istar....

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
James Ling
sage

#5563646 - 12/10/12 07:16 AM

Hi all....

Surprisingly, we have another successful event that we are so worry of the bad weather that we are facing for the past one week....

This time, although I have used a much smaller scope for this outreach, but this is also the longest time that I am standing next to my scope, from almost 8pm till 11pm....

And this is also the most enjoyable one, as I am trying out my newly arrived 152 APM ED APO......and it did not disappoint me at all, delivery crisp , razor sharp view of Jupiter, at 250X .....

Not only Jupiter is huge as it is few days away from opposition, but the moons are showing disc like objects...

Even the public are saying it looks exactly like what is in my friend's sky and telescope magazine.....

The clouds bands are so many, and so defined, that it is a pity GRS is not in view at this time.......

The session for the public ends around 11pm, and we start to use bino viewer to see Jupiter through the 152 APM ED APO....
And you must be there to understand why many CN reports so much about the 3D view through bino viewers .... Jupiter is floating......

We continue to do our own observation until near to one pm, when the clouds roll in, we packed up and headed home...

When I reached home, unload and unpack, took my shower, and while i try to download a few photos onto my laptop, I end up going to bed at 4am, coz of the response form CN members with regards to my 152 APM ED APO.....

I want to comment that we have a wonderful and successful session of this side walk......
And everyone who attend enjoyed and definitely want to come back again for another one ......

So we are looking forward for more side walk, if the situation permits, as weather is really unpredictable during this raining season....

And lastly, I thank all of you , who read my posting, and hopefully you can give me your valuable comments....

Regards

james Ling

core
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 02/23/08

Loc: Mostly in Norman, OK
      #5566906 - 12/12/12 01:46 AM

James,

Thanks as always for sharing the sessions and photos - your new APM 152 looks gorgeous!

I was wondering if y'all have ever tried video astronomy as part of your outreach programs? I've had better than expected results even from a light-washed downtown surroundings, especially on brighter targets like M42 - it's almost right overhead at your latitude, which should cut down on the amount of artificial lights washing it out. imo anything from a Samsung CCTV to Mallincam should work well; get a C6 and put a f/3.3 focal reducer on it, maybe try some LPR filters, and I'm quite certain M42 will show up in color even from your outreach location!

James Ling
sage

Re: Year End Astronomy Outreach In Singapore new [Re: core]
      #5568504 - 12/13/12 12:05 AM

Hi Peter...

Thank you so much for your comments and proposal for new ideas that will make side walk or out reach activities more successful....

Yes... I fully agreed with you, and one of my astronomy friend, is also using cctv and display monitor to show the public during various out reach session, especially the June Venus transit at one of our local university....

I also have two monochrome and color cctv, and also recently purchase a FHD TV display that uses 12VDC supply from my rechargeable battery....
So this will be very useful for my future out reach activities....

In out reach, surprisingly, the public prefer brighter objects like moon and planets...., and not so much on DSO, such as bright star clusters and nebula...

And during last weekend out reach or side walk session, it seems that those people who have seen me there previously, is asking where is my ISTAR........So is like many nof the public are not 1st time at our regular session....

Regards

James Ling

Skylook123
Postmaster

Reged: 04/30/05

Loc: Tucson, AZ
      #5570651 - 12/14/12 10:59 AM

Thank you for another interesting report. Your sessions with the public are always inspirational, and you always remember pictures, which I always forget to take!

I have been thinking of some sort of electronic display for those visitors who are handicapped or otherwise limited in the ability to get to the eyepiece. Several times a year we do a public event for our county natural resources group, and twice the same woman has attended in a wheel chair. But she has been able to climb three steps up the ladder on the big dob, with some assistance.

Thank you again for sharing the spirit with which you and Gary open the universe for the people in Singapore.

Remember that there is always a spot for you at the Grand Canyon Star Party, if you are ever fortunate enough to visit us. In the past we've had volunteers from England, Mexico, Canada, Australia, Russia, and Germany, and for several years we have been trying to work out visa issues for a volunteer from Turkey. But we haven't had a volunteer from Singapore, yet.

Please keep up the great service. It does change lives to open the universe.

James Ling
sage

Re: Year End Astronomy Outreach In Singapore new [Re: Skylook123]
      #5571696 - 12/14/12 10:28 PM

Hi Jim....

Thank you for your comments and suggestion....

Yes, both Peter and your ideas on display are good, as I also noticed some public really cannot find the planets, especially Jupiter and Saturn, through the viewer glass of the eye piece...As for the moon, which covers the FOV of the ep, perhaps only very small kids may not understand well...
So in future side walk, I may piggy back one of my smaller scopes with a CCD to a TV display, to assist my explanation to the public....

As for your invitation for 2013 Grand Canyon Star Party, I really seriously looking into attending this grand event...
Due to work requirement, I can only decide in the month of May, and I will get in touch with you.....
Again, thanks for your invitation....

Regards

James Ling

Skylook123
Postmaster

Reged: 04/30/05

Loc: Tucson, AZ
      #5571729 - 12/14/12 10:45 PM

James, regarding seeing Solar System objects in the eyepiece, I too have an eyepiece, a 19mm Panoptic, that the moon fills well at about 120X in the 18" f/5, or 130X in the 10" f/10 SCT. But, at our high altitude skies, putting a 9mm Nagler in the 18" and showing Jupiter at 250X, it looks like a huge, striped soccer ball. One night of exceptional seeing and transparency at our 7000 foot/2200 meter site, I added a 2X barlow and did Jupiter and Saturn at over 500X. No problem seeing those planets!

If not 2013 there is always 2014, or 2015, or 2016, or ...

Mr Onions
Two Time International Photographical Competition Winner

Reged: 04/14/07

Loc: Newcastle upon Tyne.
      #5575518 - 12/17/12 10:58 AM

The people of Singapore are VERY lucky to have James Ling & his friends.
Outstanding work,James.

Mr Onions

Re: Year End Astronomy Outreach In Singapore new [Re: Mr Onions]
      #5578441 - 12/19/12 06:05 AM

I only use a small 3" refractor and the public love the Moon & Jupiter,the light pollution makes no difference on these bright targets in my experience.
They are surprised a small telescope can show so much detail.

James Ling
sage

#5578448 - 12/19/12 06:12 AM

Quote:

James, regarding seeing Solar System objects in the eyepiece, I too have an eyepiece, a 19mm Panoptic, that the moon fills well at about 120X in the 18" f/5, or 130X in the 10" f/10 SCT. But, at our high altitude skies, putting a 9mm Nagler in the 18" and showing Jupiter at 250X, it looks like a huge, striped soccer ball. One night of exceptional seeing and transparency at our 7000 foot/2200 meter site, I added a 2X barlow and did Jupiter and Saturn at over 500X. No problem seeing those planets!

If not 2013 there is always 2014, or 2015, or 2016, or ...

Hi Jim...

Again thanks for your invitation ....
What you have mentioned, I think I should not miss it, and I must make it there, even empty handed, without any telescope.....

Regards

James Ling

James Ling
sage

Re: Year End Astronomy Outreach In Singapore new [Re: Mr Onions]
      #5578450 - 12/19/12 06:16 AM

Quote:

I only use a small 3" refractor and the public love the Moon & Jupiter,the light pollution makes no difference on these bright targets in my experience.
They are surprised a small telescope can show so much detail.

Hi Mr Onions...

Thanks for your comment....
And I do have one 3" refractor with me over here in my oversea working place.....
And I usually use it for the planets, and star clusters, around my home area, and seldom venture far away into the darker sky simply due to safety reason...

Regards

James Ling

killdabuddha
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 08/26/11

#5583300 - 12/21/12 10:26 PM

Awesome. You guys really rock.

James Ling
sage

Re: Year End Astronomy Outreach In Singapore new [Re: killdabuddha]
      #5587752 - 12/24/12 09:06 PM Attachment (50 downloads)

Quote:

Awesome. You guys really rock.

Hi brother....

I felt the same to all those who have posted their outreach or side walk activities, in this section.....

I realized that outreach activities, have make us all come together, even is just a short moment of time, that I communicate with people I do not know them at all....

The public reactions and remarks, really make us going back to do it again and again....whenever time and condition permits ....

Hi All....

As 2012 year end is approaching with one more week to go, I wish everyone A MERRY CHRISTMAS AND HAPPY NEW YEAR 2013.....

Regards

James Ling

Mr Onions

#5592244 - 12/28/12 08:03 AM

And the same to you James.
It's great reading your reports and the photos are fantastic too.
All the very best.

Barty.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  nitegeezer, tecmage 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4661

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics