Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Refractors

Pages: 1
gribble

Reged: 05/22/12

Loc: Colorado
Refractor Case Recommendation
      #5517626 - 11/13/12 10:25 AM

I'm thinking of adding a case for my 4" refractor (ES Ar 102) to the holiday wish list. Any recommendations?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
neotesla
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 11/18/10

Loc: Canada
Re: Refractor Case Recommendation new [Re: gribble]
      #5517685 - 11/13/12 11:08 AM

Looking for a rigid or soft case? Any idea on what the budget range would be as well?

tomcody
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 07/06/08

Loc: Titusville, Florida
Re: Refractor Case Recommendation new [Re: neotesla]
      #5517898 - 11/13/12 01:01 PM

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/53958-REG/Tenba_634_508_TTP34_TriPak.html
Also see this review with pictures of case:
http://www.astromart.com/articles/article.asp?article_id=804

If it will fit in 32" ? this is a great semi soft case (hard panels in lining), same as Takahashi used to sell for its refractors.
Rex

Edited by tomcody (11/13/12 01:04 PM)

turtledude1

Reged: 10/08/08

Loc: SW Fla.& SW. NM
Re: Refractor Case Recommendation new [Re: tomcody]
      #5518333 - 11/13/12 05:10 PM

Stellarvue makes about the nicest soft case out there. They are resonably priced, water tight, very well padded, and ridgid. I have seven of them and waiting on number eight. I started out with the hard cases, but they aren't all that water tight, their heavy, they don't stack well, take up alot of space, and they dent easily, not to mention they cost a small fortune. You can buy two large Stellarvue's for the cost of one medium sized hard case. I donated all my hard cases to my local club for auction just to get rid of them.
Russ

Meadeball
sage

Reged: 10/22/12

Loc: Midlothian, Virginia
Re: Refractor Case Recommendation new [Re: turtledude1]
      #5518421 - 11/13/12 05:59 PM

This subject seems to come up at least once a month!

I have a 4-inch refractor. This is working great for me:

Zhumell Case at telescopes.com

Meade

Grandpa Jim
old fogey

Reged: 08/04/12

Loc: GREAT AMERICAN DESERT
Re: Refractor Case Recommendation new [Re: Meadeball]
      #5518565 - 11/13/12 07:28 PM

I bought this for my "ES" AR102 refractor.........very well made and fits like a glove. About $60 shipped..................

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/222480-REG/Hakuba_PSTC_300_PSTC_300_Tri...

gribble

Reged: 05/22/12

Loc: Colorado
Re: Refractor Case Recommendation new [Re: Grandpa Jim]
      #5518980 - 11/14/12 01:17 AM

Thanks for the responses. Let me see if I can answer all of the follow up questions. I'm leaning towards a soft case as they seem to be a bit cheaper and easy to pack around. I'd like to stay at around $100 or there abouts. The scope was only $400, so spending much more on a case would be hard to justify.

Jim, for the tripod bag at B&H that you're using, is that with everything attached minus the finder?

Any ideas regarding the differences between the various vendors (Orion, Stellervue, Zhumell, etc)? The pics online aren't much to go by.

Thanks,
Dave

johntrob
sage

Reged: 03/14/11

Loc: Georgia, USA
      #5519112 - 11/14/12 06:59 AM

I recently purchased the Zhumell bag. It holds the wooden tripod on one side, with velcro straps and the padded bag, head and tray on the other. Lots of padding included. Long one piece pads with cloth coverings and are detachable/reconfigurable due to length wise velcro strips.
I keep my Pronto and case, panoramic mount, wooden legs,and assorted extras in it. You could put two tripods easily on one side.

If you want a picture, send me your email and I will send one tonight when I get home from work.

John

Grandpa Jim
old fogey

Reged: 08/04/12

Loc: GREAT AMERICAN DESERT
      #5519604 - 11/14/12 02:27 PM

Quote:

Thanks for the responses. Let me see if I can answer all of the follow up questions. I'm leaning towards a soft case as they seem to be a bit cheaper and easy to pack around. I'd like to stay at around $100 or there abouts. The scope was only $400, so spending much more on a case would be hard to justify.

Jim, for the tripod bag at B&H that you're using, is that with everything attached minus the finder?

Any ideas regarding the differences between the various vendors (Orion, Stellervue, Zhumell, etc)? The pics online aren't much to go by.

Thanks,
Dave

That was "OTA" with diagonal, no "EP", and no finder scope attached. Just basically tube, rings/handle, vixen plate and diagonal. Leaves about two to three inches at each end. The bag is nicely made, and padded. Cost right @ $60 shipped. Got it fast too.

spongebob@55
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 12/26/11

Loc: Bergen Co. New Jersey
Re: Refractor Case Recommendation new [Re: Grandpa Jim]
      #5521021 - 11/15/12 11:28 AM

I actually saw a baseball bat case with a wide top zipper opening someone was using as a case for a 102mm refractor. Don't know it theres padding in it, but its an idea for you.

rflinn68
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 03/09/12

Loc: Arkansas
Re: Refractor Case Recommendation new [Re: spongebob@55]
      #5522990 - 11/16/12 02:23 PM

Didnt the scope come with foam? Buy some 1/2" plywood and build a case. Prime it and paint it with Rust-Oleum Textured paint. Add the hinges, handle(s), and corner pieces of your choice. Works for me

Pages: 1

Extra information
18 registered and 21 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Scott in NC, FirstSight, panhard, star drop 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 809

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics