Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1
beckemd

Reged: 04/26/12

EQ G mount slewing solution...
      #5519269 - 11/14/12 09:51 AM

I posted earlier concerning my Atlas EQ G mounts trouble--it would stop slewing in the RA direction..making Star alignment for the goto impossible...
Solution? SHIP it back to Orion for an overhaul. Mind you i've already had it to Deep Space Products for a hypertune repair. Orion replaces the mother board and now it works fine...only problem is the upgraded power connector which I loved...the kind that screwed down and locked. It was a mod to the old Mobo and now I've got a cord that slips out relentlessly.

Those of us that have EQ G's, what has been the most effective solution for this nagging problem?
DBB in Chicago

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Phil Sherman
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 12/07/10

Loc: Cleveland, Ohio
Re: EQ G mount slewing solution... new [Re: beckemd]
      #5519301 - 11/14/12 10:20 AM

The best solution is a velcro strip on top of the mount, between the polarscope opening and the saddle mount for the scope. Use "decorator velcro" available from fabric stores which has sticky stuff on only one side. Make the non-sticky side a bit longer than the sticky one and you have an attach point for the power cord. Don't just run the cord between the velcro strips but make a loop that goes between them twice. This will eliminate all tension on the connector and you'll never have it pull out again.

Phil

EFT
Vendor - Deep Space Products

Reged: 05/07/07

Loc: Phoenix, AZ
Re: EQ G mount slewing solution... new [Re: beckemd]
      #5520840 - 11/15/12 09:49 AM

One way is a cable clip of some kind (usually plastic with an adhesive back). You just want something to loop the cable through so that it cannot pull straight out of the mount.

Pages: 1

Extra information
12 registered and 34 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay, iceblaze 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 322

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics