Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Cats & Casses

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
coopman
Post Laureate

Reged: 04/23/06

Loc: South Louisiana
Re: Celestron C6 new [Re: hottr6]
      #5519410 - 11/14/12 11:36 AM

The narrow FOV can be negated somewhat by the addition of the f6.3 focal reducer.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Rollcrusher

Reged: 11/12/12

Re: Celestron C6 new [Re: hottr6]
      #5519597 - 11/14/12 02:19 PM

Guys I just realized I left out some important info....

I have access to dark skies at my place of employment. When we get new employees we give them "the tour" for training. I had one guy say that it looked like some clouds were coming in and I had to tell him that was actually the Milky Way.

Anyway, I work rotating shift, have about 40 minutes for break and that's the main reason for the binoc setup. I need a small fast setup for about 30 minutes of viewing at this location. 10 minutes to and from plus setup time gives me about 30 minutes.

I'm a few hours from McDonald's observatory, my dark sky site is 20 minutes away, does not compare to McDonald's but is pretty dark.

In retrospect I think the C6 may be too much and the C90 may be better for me.

What about the Vixen VMC110L - may be the middle ground scope for what I'm looking for.

Keep in mind I have been using the 12x50 binoculars and I'm not expecting the views the 10" dob had.

Thanks again guys.

desertlens
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 12/06/10

Loc: 36N 105W
Re: Celestron C6 [Re: Rollcrusher]
      #5519936 - 11/14/12 06:39 PM

Rollcrusher,
I have a VMC110L that has fundamentally been replaced by the C6. These days it's used for solar observing with Baader solar film. This may be a good scope for your situation (especially on the PortaMount) but be advised it struggles for aperture at anything above 100x. Consider starting a new thread about the Vixen for some input. It's a very compact instrument and within the budget you originally stated.

t.r.
Post Laureate

Reged: 02/14/08

Loc: Upstate NY
Re: Celestron C6 new [Re: desertlens]
      #5520971 - 11/15/12 10:58 AM

A previous thread or two about the C90's have been very positive about the quality and views. If you could put it out to cool a bit before you observe, with the dark skies you claim, I think you would be happy for a casual run. You would come in under the $400 limit too, even over mounted. I'm asking for one for Christmas from Mrs. Claus. I have the C6 as my grab-n-go, but this little 90 has travel potential unlike the others.

orion61

Reged: 10/20/07

Loc: Birthplace James T Kirk
Re: Celestron C6 new [Re: t.r.]
      #5521038 - 11/15/12 11:38 AM

The 127 SLT Celestron Nexstar Mak may be an option for you.
It gives a lot more light than the C90..
but it is not too big to use during the day for a spotter or solar scope.
You can get the SLT version for about $450.00
That would leave you enough for a tripod for quick setups
with the included dovetail bar.
I have one and it is terrific!
I did happen upon a heavier tripod that got rid of the bouncyness but I used it for a year as is.

rguasto
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 11/18/10

Loc: Long Island, NY
Re: Celestron C6 new [Re: Rollcrusher]
      #5521063 - 11/15/12 11:51 AM

I think your major concern should be cool down time, not set-up. A SCT or Mak Newt will take longer than your break to cool down. You'll never be able to focus an acceptable image in 30 minutes. I can st-up my C6 in less than 5 minutes, but it needs 45 to 60 minutes to cool down.
-Rob

coopman
Post Laureate

Re: Celestron C6 new [Re: rguasto]
      #5521995 - 11/15/12 09:51 PM

Good point, and one that I can confirm also.

Rollcrusher

#5522026 - 11/15/12 10:13 PM

I think I got the cool down covered. Get break at midnight and can put the scope in the car at around 8 or 9 with windows down. Scope will be in my office until then. Good crew and don't foresee any theft problems. About 20 miles from town so it's just us. May even get one or two guys interested.

Not bragging about the dark skies but thought it might help with my scope decision. Hope ya have a Merry Christmas t.r..

Is the 127 a ota or the go to setup? So far all I can find is the go to.

Will the c90 make a better candidate than the c6 for solar? This will have a big impact on my purchase. I checked the prices on the H-Alpha solar filters from Coranado and Lunt a holy c#*p. Looks like it will be one of the Orion filters if I even go Solar now. May see about a dedicated solar once I get the kiddos through college.

And last (way out in left field here) while looking at the AT Voyager mount I came across the AT72ED. I really don't know anything about refractors but that looks like a really nice scope. Looks to be out of my budget with accessories, but have never used a refractor. The manual makes it sound like something I might want. May have to start a thread on it unless anybody could point one out.

Still set on the Voyager and have no problem with the scope being over mounted. Hope to place my order next Thursday.

rguasto
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 11/18/10

Loc: Long Island, NY
      #5522069 - 11/15/12 10:46 PM

AT72ED.
As a finder scope for the C6? Sure.

Rollcrusher

#5522091 - 11/15/12 11:04 PM

I see the 127 is the c5 ota. Been looking at a lot of scopes and got lost there for a minute.

stevenf
sage

Reged: 10/11/09

Loc: Vancouver, BC
      #5522106 - 11/15/12 11:18 PM

Celestron has a 127mm SC, the Omni, different design from the 127 maks. I have the Skywatcher versions of both the C90 and the 127 and they are both excellent. For quick viewing sessions though, and easy portability the 90mm is a very potent instrument, especially for lunar and planets. It hasn't been replaced by the 127 for me.

Being that you're under a dark sky a view of the milky way maybe a small wide field refractor might be a good choice as well? Cruising around the milky way with a short tube refractor on a solid alt az is one of my favorite ways to observe.

Getting the mount first is a good idea I think, a good mount is an excellent investment.

Rollcrusher

#5522110 - 11/15/12 11:23 PM

Quote:

AT72ED.
As a finder scope for the C6? Sure.

Was actually thinking for main scope, but I can see where this is going so ill stay focused on the mak's.

If I get to order the mount next week, I'm looking at about 2 weeks from today to order the C90 and 3 weeks for the C6. 4 weeks at the most for the C6 and that will get my budget upwards of $700. So I got a few days to decide. Been without a scope for almost 2 years so what's another month for a quality instrument.

Trying hard not to succumb to bigger is better and end up with another scope I won't use that much.

Would really like thank everybody again for being patient, just trying to do it right this time.

Dunkstar
sage

Reged: 03/26/12

Loc: Under the sky
      #5523149 - 11/16/12 04:26 PM

The C6 and 127 Mak are very similar in physical size and weight so will need to be suitably mounted, like the Vixen Porta II mount. Both are great scopes, but the C6 has the edge on deep sky with the larger mirror. You could see a lot of stuff with that aperture under a dark sky.

The cost of the C6 and mount puts it very close to the sale price of the 6SE, but that needs power

It's a tough call..... but a long way down to a C90 from a 10 inch reflector

Rollcrusher

Re: Celestron C6 new [Re: Dunkstar]
      #5523705 - 11/17/12 12:31 AM

Went back and compared the Orion 127 mak and C5 to the c6 again. Really about the same weight. The c6 comes with a diagonal and a plossl eyepiece. I would have to purchase both of these separate with the Orion and C5 adding around $100 to $200 depending on brand/series. As mentioned earlier, probably not the best diagonal with the C6 but will work for now.

I have been trying to talk myself down to the c90 or 127 mak but I constantly return to the C6 based mainly on price and accessories and of course apeature.

So having said that and based on all the great insight i have gotten, I think it's clear the C6 is the best choice for me.

I'll try to keep my questions to the C6 with the Voyager mount.

If the C6 turns out to be too much for my limited time I will just have to wait for a day off and continue with the binoc setup during break. Probably better not to mix with business anyway.

To be honest I'm not sure what to expect with the C6. I know what the reflectors could do and what the 12x50's will do. Hope it's not too long of a wait.

coopman
Post Laureate

#5524034 - 11/17/12 09:55 AM

It took almost an hour outside last night before my C6 started producing fairly sharp images, so it will seldom be an "instant gratification scope" that you can just plop down & do meaningful observing with immediately.

Eddgie
Postmaster

Reged: 02/01/06

#5524057 - 11/17/12 10:13 AM

This has always been the primary value proposition for SCTs. You get a lot of apeture in a compact package for a reasonable price.

And the C6s have a reputation of having consistenly good optics. I think you are making a good choice.

As for cooling, just set the scope out 30 minutes before you go outside, or better yet, leave it outside in a container so that it can always be near ambient (assuming you can do that).

And besides, at low powers, cooling is not that big a deal. It is only when used at higher powers that cooling has its more serious effects.

Rollcrusher

Re: Celestron C6 new [Re: Eddgie]
      #5525154 - 11/17/12 09:36 PM

Any info on the quality of the supplied 25mm eyepiece.

I wear glasses and curious what eyepieces would be a good match in the under $100 range for the C6.

Don't really want a whole case of eyepieces, maybe the three most used focal lengths?

Patrick
Postmaster

Reged: 05/16/03

Loc: Franklin, Ohio
      #5525312 - 11/17/12 11:53 PM

You want to target a wide field eyepiece, something to get you around 40x, then a medium field eyepiece targeting about 120x, and then finally and eyepiece that would get you up to about 250x for planetary use. You also want to get a 2x barlow to increase the usefulness of each eyepiece.

I've looked through a lot of eyepieces and I prefer Televue Panoptics and Plossls. In the less expensive category, the Plossls are hard to beat. A 32mm Plossl would be a good choice, along with a 20mm and maybe a 15mm. You could go smaller, but I've found the eye relief below 15mm to be very restrictive.

Patrick

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
9 registered and 23 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  cbwerner, Starman27, kkokkolis 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2055

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics