Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> ATM, Optics and DIY Forum

Pages: 1
LivingNDixie
TSP Chowhound

Reged: 04/23/03

Loc: Trussville, AL
Okay a book question new
      #5519649 - 11/14/12 02:59 PM

So I have found some plans online from the Sidewalk Astronomers folks in California. The plans have you building everything including the spider and focuser. Being a veteran of the Coulter plumbing wonder focuser I am a little hesitant about make a folder out of cardboard or wood.

So I am doing some searching of some other plans and am thinking about two books

Build Your Own Telescope by Berry (the library has it and I have requested it). The library has the 1st edition and I see it has been updated to a 3rd edition so I am going to thumb through the 1st edition and see what it has. I understand technology has come a good distance since the 1985 copyright of the 1st edition.

Also I have discovered that The Dobsonian Telescope by Kreige has 8in plans. Has anyone actually used those or can recommend them? I don't have access of that book at the library unfortunately.

I have the The Modern Dobsonian by Tom Clark, which I have been reading through and making notes. I really like his 6in f/8 dob he has in it. Might try making a clone of that.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
JimMo
I'd Rather Do It Myself

Reged: 01/08/07

Loc: Under the SE Michigan lightdom...
Re: Okay a book question new [Re: LivingNDixie]
      #5519721 - 11/14/12 03:39 PM

Similar recent thread here. BTW- Tom Clark just posted a pic there.

Noisykids
sage

Reged: 06/01/11

Loc: ma
Re: Okay a book question new [Re: JimMo]
      #5519746 - 11/14/12 04:05 PM

i've made telescopes from both the berry book and the berry/kriege book. i made a standard sonotube/plywood 6 inch reflector with a mirror i ground myself and right now am finishing up a truss tub 8" that is straight out of the berry/kriege book.
you have to do some adjusting for an 8 inch, but plans from both books will make a telescope, if you have the time, the tools and the drive to do it.

eta,,,,i also had the plans from the sidewalk astronomers, but i preferred the berry book for my first scope. i also had more and better tools. no surforms in my shop.

Edited by Noisykids (11/14/12 04:06 PM)

LivingNDixie
TSP Chowhound

Reged: 04/23/03

Loc: Trussville, AL
Re: Okay a book question new [Re: Noisykids]
      #5519891 - 11/14/12 06:10 PM Attachment (10 downloads)

Quote:

i've made telescopes from both the berry book and the berry/kriege book. i made a standard sonotube/plywood 6 inch reflector with a mirror i ground myself and right now am finishing up a truss tub 8" that is straight out of the berry/kriege book.
you have to do some adjusting for an 8 inch, but plans from both books will make a telescope, if you have the time, the tools and the drive to do it.

eta,,,,i also had the plans from the sidewalk astronomers, but i preferred the berry book for my first scope. i also had more and better tools. no surforms in my shop.

Thanks for the response. Do you recall what edition book you used? Also when you mention surforms are you talking about the tubes that Lowes and Home Depot sell?

I only ask because I was by there looking at wood and looked at tubes while there. I have included a picture of what they had, I was surprised how inexpensive they were.

Edited by LivingNDixie (11/14/12 06:15 PM)

Mirzam
Post Laureate

Reged: 04/01/08

Loc: Lovettsville, VA
      #5519912 - 11/14/12 06:27 PM

Real sonotube is considerably stronger than the stuff offered at the big box stores. Try other building supply stores or a place that specializes in concrete.

JimC

Noisykids
sage

Reged: 06/01/11

Loc: ma
Re: Okay a book question [Re: Mirzam]
      #5519940 - 11/14/12 06:40 PM

a surform is one of those cheapo shaping tools. there's a picture in one of the editions showing it in use. i built my first dob in early 90's and the copy of the book i have now is english second edition 1994.

Tim C
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 11/11/07

Loc: Marietta, GA
      #5520106 - 11/14/12 08:29 PM

I really liked the Stellafane plans. I built a sonotube (actually yazoo mills mailing tube) 8" f8 using those plans including using the curved spider. They are step by step. I have several books including all the ones you mention and the stellafane plans were the best instructions on how to build your first scope in my opinion. After you build one it makes much more sense and you can branch out into your own design variations.

http://stellafane.org/tm/dob/index.html

Tim

Quote:

So I have found some plans online from the Sidewalk Astronomers folks in California. The plans have you building everything including the spider and focuser. Being a veteran of the Coulter plumbing wonder focuser I am a little hesitant about make a folder out of cardboard or wood.

So I am doing some searching of some other plans and am thinking about two books

Build Your Own Telescope by Berry (the library has it and I have requested it). The library has the 1st edition and I see it has been updated to a 3rd edition so I am going to thumb through the 1st edition and see what it has. I understand technology has come a good distance since the 1985 copyright of the 1st edition.

Also I have discovered that The Dobsonian Telescope by Kreige has 8in plans. Has anyone actually used those or can recommend them? I don't have access of that book at the library unfortunately.

I have the The Modern Dobsonian by Tom Clark, which I have been reading through and making notes. I really like his 6in f/8 dob he has in it. Might try making a clone of that.

operascope
sage

Reged: 09/03/08

Loc: Canada
Re: Okay a book question new [Re: Tim C]
      #5520370 - 11/14/12 11:54 PM

I'll second the Stellafane plans. Very good design, and easy to follow instructions. I especially like the adjustable tube cradle.

StarStuff1
Post Laureate

Reged: 04/01/07

Loc: South of the Mason-Dixon Line
Re: Okay a book question new [Re: operascope]
      #5521677 - 11/15/12 06:18 PM Attachment (6 downloads)

"Real sonotube is considerably stronger than the stuff offered at the big box stores. Try other building supply stores or a place that specializes in concrete."

True, but you can take the thinner tubes from the big box hardware stores and slice off sections. Glue the sections inside the main OTA with wood glue at critical positions such as the mirror mountings, the focuser...etc. The result is a very stiff tube at a very low price.

dcoyle
professor emeritus

Reged: 10/11/05

Loc: Turbulent but dark skies, N.M.
Re: Okay a book question new [Re: StarStuff1]
      #5524038 - 11/17/12 10:02 AM

I built the 8" in the Kreige Berry book and it was way too heavy. I spent the next year cutting big chunks out. Try a different plan, IMO.

Dan

Pages: 1

Extra information
2 registered and 9 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  ausastronomer, richard7, Starman81 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 614

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics