Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Cats & Casses

Pages: 1
chboss
professor emeritus

Reged: 03/24/08

Loc: Zurich Switzerland
Takahashi video about CCA-250 new
      #5518940 - 11/13/12 11:59 PM

I just stumbled upon an information where Takahashi won a "Best product of the Year" award in 2011 from the Japanese City of Itabashi for their CCA-250. They posted a video with an interview...

The video is of quite poor quality but might be still interesting since it shows a quick view into the production:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6QHa9jQXP-0

best regards
Chris

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
freestar8n
Post Laureate

Reged: 10/12/07

Re: Takahashi video about CCA-250 new [Re: chboss]
      #5519146 - 11/14/12 07:58 AM

Thanks for the link. Nice to see it being made, including some of the aluminum casting.

So this is their corrected cassegrain astrograph that replaces the BRC-250, (corrected-RC). It is another example of a flat field design that relies on a spherical secondary and corrective lenses toward the image plane. So - it is similar to cdk but faster at f/5 and with wider field, but much larger central obstruction at 58%, and uses 3 instead of two lenses. Also - it focuses with the secondary, and has two other f/ratio options with added lenses, at f/3.6 and f/7.5.

It has a very wide field out to 80mm diameter - but I'm not sure what detector you would use with that.

Frank

drksky
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 09/01/09

Loc: Bloomington, IL
Re: Takahashi video about CCA-250 new [Re: freestar8n]
      #5519451 - 11/14/12 12:10 PM

We had one and had nothing but trouble with it.

Inconsistently misshapen stars at the edges of our U16 field caused us to send it back. Tak had it for 6 months trying to figure out what was wrong with it. Finally decided that the optics were mis-figured and sent and entirely new one.

Focuser didn't work out of the box on the new one. Motors didn't turn, didn't even make a sound when trying to focus. Back it went again where they replaced the motor and controller. Got it back two weeks ago and again, out of the box the focuser still didn't work. Motor turned, but the secondary didn't move. It's gone back for the last time. Almost 18 months of screwing around and nothing to show for it. Good riddance.

jtaylor996
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 09/02/08

Loc: North Texas
Re: Takahashi video about CCA-250 new [Re: drksky]
      #5519568 - 11/14/12 01:47 PM

Makes you wonder what else is being made in Itabashi!

chboss
professor emeritus

Re: Takahashi video about CCA-250 [Re: jtaylor996]
      #5520063 - 11/14/12 07:59 PM

Hi Tony

Well that is bad news... maybe the system is just too complex.

They have on in the showroom of Starbase here in Tokyo, looks impressive but the price is incredible and it is a pure photographic system.
Hopefully they can fix the problem this time around, so as I understand you were never able to use it?

best regards
Chris

drksky
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Takahashi video about CCA-250 new [Re: chboss]
      #5520589 - 11/15/12 05:43 AM

Originally we were able to use it, but the optics were flawed and it was sent back. The replacement's focuser never did work. We got sick of messing with it and returned.

drksky
Carpal Tunnel

#5522609 - 11/16/12 10:33 AM

I will say this, though. Tak does seem to be bending over backwards to get it working for us. After examination, they saw that during shipping, something broke looks in the focuser and actually jarred a ball bearing loose. We were just informed that it's been fixed and it's coming back to us (again) shipped in a custom-fit pelican.

However, it's been 13 months now since original purchase, two of which the scope was in our actual possession, and the optics in the current one that has been shipped back and forth 4 times are still a question mark as the focuser has never worked on the replacement.

I'm still skeptical.

chboss
professor emeritus

#5523342 - 11/16/12 07:22 PM

Tony I hope it turns out well for you.
I would love to hear how the optics perform.

I fully agree, that a problem can happen once, but not three times.
It leaves some questions regarding the stability of their design...

best regards
Chris

Pages: 1

Extra information
6 registered and 23 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  cbwerner, Starman27, kkokkolis 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 855

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics