Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

General Astronomy >> Beginners Forum

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Atl
professor emeritus

Reged: 04/13/12

Big Street Light new
      #5519328 - 11/14/12 10:41 AM

I live back in the Arizona desert, but there is a main road about 1/4 mile away. There is a county street light over hanging my yard on one side. My house is the only house illuminated or even in the area...the road the thing stands on is my driveway. Without this thing I would live at a dark site. The seeing is good, but if I could turn that thing off it would be nice. Is there any way to petition the power company to turn this thing off? Has anyone had a similar experience?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
killdabuddha
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 08/26/11

Re: Big Street Light new [Re: Atl]
      #5519359 - 11/14/12 11:04 AM

We have one at our driveway ending the cul de sac. Had a perfect chance to pull it down during Sandy but I didn't think of it til later. Neither can I reach it to cover it even temporarily. A good shroud and light baffle is all we can do for now.

howard929

Reged: 01/02/11

Loc: Low End of High Ground
      #5519378 - 11/14/12 11:15 AM

It's more likely then not that the light is there for the safety of anyone driving along that road and they won't turn it off. Having it moved might be an option but on who's dime?

Can you block it in some way? When I'm viewing from my front driveway, I move my SUV around so it's between me and the neighbors front lights and it does help.

Maverick199
Postmaster

Reged: 02/27/11

Loc: India
      #5519430 - 11/14/12 11:58 AM

You are one lucky dude to live at that place with only a light 1/4 mile away. Use a makeshift screen of sorts to block it. Here I am surrounded by lights.

Paco_Grande
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 07/14/12

Loc: Banana Republic of California
Re: Big Street Light new [Re: howard929]
      #5519437 - 11/14/12 12:01 PM

If I was in your shoes, I know exactly what I'd do, I just can't suggest it here.

JohnMurphyRN
sage

Reged: 09/09/12

Loc: Near St Louis
Re: Big Street Light new [Re: Paco_Grande]
      #5519538 - 11/14/12 01:26 PM

Quote:

If I was in your shoes, I know exactly what I'd do, I just can't suggest it here.

exactly..

csa/montana
Den Mama

Reged: 05/14/05

Loc: montana
Re: Big Street Light new [Re: JohnMurphyRN]
      #5519543 - 11/14/12 01:30 PM

Yep; let it pass.

Mike I. Jones
Post Laureate

Reged: 07/02/06

Loc: Fort Worth TX
Re: Big Street Light new [Re: csa/montana]
      #5519574 - 11/14/12 01:54 PM

Especially if it's hanging over your property line! Yes, I vote for the unmentionable solution.
Mike

Atl
professor emeritus

Re: Big Street Light new [Re: Mike I. Jones]
      #5519589 - 11/14/12 02:12 PM

It isn't a quarter mile away...it is hanging over my front yard...and it is not on a road at all.

dan_h
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 12/10/07

#5519595 - 11/14/12 02:18 PM

At the very least ask them to put a shield on it. They might just accomodate you.

dan

David Castillo
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 09/09/06

Loc: Carmel Valley, Ca
Re: Big Street Light new [Re: dan_h]
      #5519644 - 11/14/12 02:56 PM

Folks in my small berg just painted portions of the lights to mask out the light that shined all night on their bedroom windows. Neither the town, nor the power company has said a word about removing the paint.
----
Dave

gmussman

Reged: 09/21/12

Loc: Cincinnati, Ohio
Re: Big Street Light new [Re: David Castillo]
      #5519666 - 11/14/12 03:07 PM

Hi Atl, not sure if this is an option in your area, but I just contacted my utility for the same problem.

While they wouldn't turn the light off (or down, my second suggestion), they would install a shield behind the light called a "street shade" that blocked the light intrusion from the light. So, the light will still glow, but I won't see the really bright part that ruins my night vision. They charged me all of $45, which I was happy to pay.

This is definitely second best in terms of looking at the stars, but I think it will be much better than nothing.

I don't know when they'll get around to the install, but if it works well, I'll post pics here and on the light pollution form.

*skyguy*
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 12/31/08

Loc: Western New York
      #5519739 - 11/14/12 03:58 PM

Get some M-80 firecrackers ... or the equivalent. Set one off near the streetlight at observing time and the flash will harmlessly shut down the streetlight for several hours. It works for me!

DavidC
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 11/24/05

Loc: Mesa, Arizona
Re: Big Street Light new [Re: *skyguy*]
      #5519761 - 11/14/12 04:12 PM

I had the same problem about 3 months ago with an offending streetlight, and neighbors floodlights. I called the electric company and still have not seen or heard anything as of yet. So I changed my urban observing area to a large vacant field, now I've got a few streetlights over a quarter of a mile away, and no floodlights. That's better than a streetlight and neighbors lights glaring in my back yard. I block the distant streetlights with a folding table stood on it's side on top of my camper. Now at least I can see some DSO's.
David

5u4

Reged: 04/27/06

Loc: FL
Re: Big Street Light new [Re: DavidC]
      #5519791 - 11/14/12 04:48 PM

Sure it isn't a light the previous owner of the house had the Electric Co. install on your service pole, not a county light? Are you being charged on your electric bill for it? If that's the case maybe you could have them remove it? You say it overhangs your front yard & driveway, it's not near a street & nobody's around but you. Either way that thing would've been history the first night I moved in.

Atl
professor emeritus

Re: Big Street Light new [Re: 5u4]
      #5519887 - 11/14/12 06:08 PM

Quote:

Sure it isn't a light the previous owner of the house had the Electric Co. install on your service pole, not a county light? Are you being charged on your electric bill for it? If that's the case maybe you could have them remove it? You say it overhangs your front yard & driveway, it's not near a street & nobody's around but you. Either way that thing would've been history the first night I moved in.

That is worth checking. I know none of my breakers will turn it off, but if I am footing the bill I should be able to turn it off.

newtoskies
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 07/15/12

Loc: SE Ma.
      #5519909 - 11/14/12 06:23 PM

hm, the street light in front of my house really does not bother me that much. Now all the other bright lights from the orphanage, shopping mall and the city...well those put out much more Lp than the dim light in front of my house.

God luck to you, and I agree with the others.

Edited by WaterMaster (11/15/12 03:01 PM)

GeneT
Ely Kid

Reged: 11/07/08

Loc: South Texas
Re: Big Street Light new [Re: Paco_Grande]
      #5519916 - 11/14/12 06:30 PM

Quote:

Ditto.

GeneT
Ely Kid

Reged: 11/07/08

Loc: South Texas
Re: Big Street Light new [Re: GeneT]
      #5519921 - 11/14/12 06:32 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Ditto.

I also recommend that you talk to the county about this. They might move the light to another area further away. They also might arrange for an off/on switch that you could set when you are viewing.

5u4

Reged: 04/27/06

Loc: FL
Re: Big Street Light [Re: GeneT]
      #5520064 - 11/14/12 07:59 PM

When I was in the market to buy a house in the country several years ago, one of the houses I was looking at had a street light that the owner had the electric co. install on his service pole. It's wired directly to the transformer & there's no control except for the light sensor on top. I called the electric co. & asked them if they'd wire a switch so I could turn it on & off & they said no. I asked them about taking it down & never got a straight answer. I ended up buying a different house with no street light anyway.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
17 registered and 38 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  zjc26138, WOBentley, kkokkolis 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1359

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics