Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Equipment

Pages: 1
tboss70
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 11/25/05

Loc: Missouri
Stellarvue F50 on the way. new
      #5516689 - 11/12/12 08:33 PM

A while back I asked for comments on the Stellarvue finders and I finally decided to purchase the F50M3 for autoguiding.

It should be here in the next few days. I just wanted to say thanks to all that commented and helped me in my decision.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
FirstSight
Duke of Deneb

Reged: 12/26/05

Loc: Raleigh, NC
Re: Stellarvue F50 on the way. new [Re: tboss70]
      #5519261 - 11/14/12 09:44 AM

If you really want to juice up your S50, replace the included eyepiece with a 20-ish mm 1.25" widefield premium, such as a 24 Pan. You'll get a panoramic star atlas-level view that's worthwhile spending time looking at in its own right, and not just for navigation!

tboss70
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Stellarvue F50 on the way. new [Re: FirstSight]
      #5519360 - 11/14/12 11:04 AM

THanks Chris. I'll give it a try.

FlorinAndrei
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 09/28/10

Loc: California
      #5520046 - 11/14/12 07:45 PM

I did the opposite. I plugged in it a short eyepiece and pushed magnification up almost as far as it would go. You can see Saturn's rings, Jupiter's belts and a whole bunch of other things. It splits Mizar easily. Same aperture like Galileo's refractor, but better correction.

The F50 is fun.

Scott in NC
Mad Hatter

Reged: 03/05/05

Loc: NC
Re: Stellarvue F50 on the way. [Re: FlorinAndrei]
      #5520067 - 11/14/12 08:00 PM

Quote:

The F50 is fun.

+1
I took mine to the beach this past summer to use as a spotting scope and super-portable G&G astro scope. Mounted with a clamshell on a Manfrotto camera tripod and outfitted with a few TV Plossls and TMB Planetaries, it was a blast to use, and took up very little space in my luggage.

chboss
professor emeritus

Reged: 03/24/08

Loc: Zurich Switzerland
Re: Stellarvue F50 on the way. new [Re: Scott in NC]
      #5520108 - 11/14/12 08:32 PM

Don't forget to show some images when it arrives.

regards
Chris

FirstSight
Duke of Deneb

Reged: 12/26/05

Loc: Raleigh, NC
Re: Stellarvue F50 on the way. new [Re: FlorinAndrei]
      #5520848 - 11/15/12 09:55 AM

Quote:

I did the opposite. I plugged in it a short eyepiece and pushed magnification up almost as far as it would go. You can see Saturn's rings, Jupiter's belts and a whole bunch of other things. It splits Mizar easily. Same aperture like Galileo's refractor, but better correction.

The F50 is fun.

I agree you can also do this, as the F50 or F60 is a full-fledged small compact refractor in its own right, rather than merely a finderscope. However, when using it as a finderscope, a 24 Pan is a perfect, substantially improved match for the ideal focal-length for using the scope for that purpose. I have also tried using a borrowed 16T5 Nagler for that purpose, which also works well; it trades off some TFOV for greater magnification and makes some DSOs easier to visually spot. For me, however, the 24 Pan works best overall when using the F60 (which I have rather than the S50) for its main original mission, as a finderscope.

ONE IMPORTANT THING TO NOTE: Because the F50 has such an aggressively "fast" focal-ratio (f/4 and the F60 even faster at f/3.7)...it will severely stress lower-quality eyepieces that aren't well-corrected for use in faster focal-ratio scopes, and will tend to show off-axis coma in such eyepieces. This is normal, and not a flaw in your new F50. In fact, some irreducible coma was obvious even when I was using the original supplied 23mm 50 deg AFOV eyepiece in my F60; much less so in the Pan 24 even though it is a 68 deg AFOV eyepiece.

tboss70
Carpal Tunnel

#5524058 - 11/17/12 10:13 AM Attachment (10 downloads)

It's here. And a very nice finder I must say. I took it out last night and viewed several times with the stock eyepiece; great views.

The only issue I had was I could not get my Toucam (guide cam) to come to focus. It seems I need more inward travel.
Vic is supposed to be working on a new piece for these issues, from what I understand, and should be ready in a few weeks. So I may have to give that a try.

Most of my eyepieces are cheap so I only tried a few with the F50 and it was ok but the Stellarvue eyepiece gave a better view. I should have a 13mm T6 Nagler showing up today so if skies are clear I may give that a try.

Well, here it is:

Edited by tboss70 (11/17/12 10:15 AM)

astro_baby
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 06/17/08

Loc: United Kingdom
Re: Stellarvue F50 on the way. new [Re: tboss70]
      #5525557 - 11/18/12 06:01 AM

Wow thats nice, whats weird though is quite recently people were slanging the F50 for poor views. I always found mine to be great amd concur that its like a small frac in its own right. The scope does stress out poor quality EPs easy though and it was kind of edicational for me to see how much more pressure F4 put on than F5. One stop more and EPs which perform ok. If not great, in an F5 totally come off the rails at F4

Pages: 1

Extra information
6 registered and 31 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  zjc26138, tecmage, rflinn68 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 696

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics