Speciality Forums >> Astronomy Software & Computers

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
csa/montana
Den Mama

Reged: 05/14/05

Loc: montana
Nexus 7 or Kindle Fire HD? new
      #5519429 - 11/14/12 11:58 AM

Just wondering which is preferred; for reading, playing games, lots of free apps, etc.?

Both are the same price, both have 16G.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Jon Isaacs
Postmaster

Reged: 06/16/04

Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA
Re: Nexus 7 or Kindle Fire HD? new [Re: csa/montana]
      #5520260 - 11/14/12 10:34 PM

Quote:

Just wondering which is preferred; for reading, playing games, lots of free apps, etc.?

Both are the same price, both have 16G.

Carol:

If it were me, I would be buying the Nexus 7. Access to the Google Playstore is important because that's where the apps are, free and paid. It is my understanding that the Kindle's cannot access the playstore, the Nexus can.

Jon

csa/montana
Den Mama

Reged: 05/14/05

Loc: montana
Re: Nexus 7 or Kindle Fire HD? [Re: Jon Isaacs]
      #5520891 - 11/15/12 10:14 AM

Thanks Jon!

Sean Wood

Reged: 04/19/11

Loc: North Carolina
Re: Nexus 7 or Kindle Fire HD? new [Re: csa/montana]
      #5536331 - 11/23/12 09:47 PM

Nexus 7 all the way, it receives Android updates diretly from Google so no waiting on the device manufacture to send you their "skinned" over version of the latest firmware.
Have one myself and I love it.I even use it even as an astronomy aid with several star mapping apps such *BLEEP* Skeye Pro, it allows you to use the tablet mounted onto you OTA as a "Push too" set of virtual digital setting circles. accompany that with all the info in Sky Safari and you really don't need to be dragging books/charts out into the field and more. Even use it with an astronomy logging app StarLog. It allows you to build database of your equipment and has a data base of NGC,Messier and solar system objects you can build observing lists from, or if you like you can import your own list form your favorite astronomy program on your pc or mac. The app gives you a multitude of information fields you can notate to and even has a voice recorder built in. Once you're done you can export the log entries out in several formats to apps and or print them out. The paid full version of this app even works in conjunction with Skeye to be able to bounce back and forth to use Skeye to find objects and StarLog to log the observations.

My only suggestion is go with the 32GB instead of the 16GB.. the down side the Nexus is it has a fix amount of storage. If you are considering possibly wanting to update the amount of storage I'd suggest the 7" Galaxy Tab2.

The only REAL advantage to the Kindle Fire is if you subscribe to Amazon Prime there is a native app for streaming movies and whatnot from that service, everything else you can get an app to do in the Google Play Store. You can still watch movies from Amazon in the Chrome or standard Android browser if you want.

rockethead26
Post Laureate

Reged: 10/21/09

Loc: Arizona, USA
Re: Nexus 7 or Kindle Fire HD? new [Re: Sean Wood]
      #5536682 - 11/24/12 06:26 AM

I was all ready to buy a Nexus 7, thinking I could use Sky Safari wirelessly with SkyFi to control my CG-5, but after discovering that the Nexus (and all android devices) cannot connect to ad hoc wireless systems like SkiFi, I'll keep waiting until some android device can.

I just don't see having the Nexus tethered to the NexStar with two linked cables. I really don't want to spend the money on an iPad, so more patience is required.

Otherwise, I would buy a Nexus if I just wanted to use it as a digital chart system.

btschumy
Vendor - Simulation Curriculum

Reged: 04/13/04

Loc: Longmont, CO, USA
Re: Nexus 7 or Kindle Fire HD? new [Re: rockethead26]
      #5536734 - 11/24/12 07:49 AM

The Nexus 7 works really well controlling scopes via Bluetooth. You don't have to use SkyFi.

rockethead26
Post Laureate

Re: Nexus 7 or Kindle Fire HD? new [Re: btschumy]
      #5536784 - 11/24/12 08:23 AM

Quote:

The Nexus 7 works really well controlling scopes via Bluetooth. You don't have to use SkyFi.

Ahh, I'll have to do a little research. I didn't know that. Thanks!

Chucky
sage

Reged: 04/16/10

Loc: Dublin, Ohio
      #5537470 - 11/24/12 04:17 PM

<< I really don't want to spend the money on an iPad >>

Don't cheap yourself without some serious thought to the contrary. When it's all said and done, you often get what you pay for. The ipad works extremely well today with Sky Safari, will into the future. The Sky Safari developers seem to often battle with Android. To me at least, the extra money is well worth it to avoid problems! It's not like we are talking all that much more for an ipad, considering the cost of various headache medications.

rockethead26
Post Laureate

Re: Nexus 7 or Kindle Fire HD? new [Re: Chucky]
      #5537633 - 11/24/12 06:21 PM

Quote:

Don't cheap yourself without some serious thought to the contrary. When it's all said and done, you often get what you pay for. The ipad works extremely well today with Sky Safari, will into the future. The Sky Safari developers seem to often battle with Android. To me at least, the extra money is well worth it to avoid problems! It's not like we are talking all that much more for an ipad, considering the cost of various headache medications.

Point taken. Still...

snorkler
Aperture Aficionado

Reged: 10/11/04

Loc: Bay Area, California
      #5537892 - 11/24/12 09:37 PM

iPads are far from problem free, and their 60% price premium buys you less resolution and less processing power than either the Kindle HD or the Nexus 7.

Back to the OP's question, the N7 wins hands down for general use, and specifically for astronomy, since the Kindle HD apparently lacks gps and a compass.

gmartin02
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 04/11/05

Loc: Santa Clarita, CA
Re: Nexus 7 or Kindle Fire HD? new [Re: Chucky]
      #5537905 - 11/24/12 09:50 PM

Quote:

There is nothing wrong with Sky Safari on Android OS devices. Many of us have been using SS on Android with no problems, and it works great.

Although IOS devices have done well in the past and are good now, Android OS devices are the future, especially now that Apple no longer has the vision of Steve Jobs to lead them (do you think Jobs would have ever let the IOS 6 maps debacle happen?). As of the end of the 3rd quarter: In the US, Android OS now has almost double the market share as IOS, but for the global market, Android OS devices are now outselling IOS devices 5 to 1. For tablets, global iPad market share continues to drop rapidly (still at 50%), mainly gobbled up by Samsung Galaxy devices (now at 20%, and increasing rapidly).

Note: For iPhones & iPads, the display, memory, and chipsets are all manufactured by Samsung. Apple keeps trying to sue Samsung, thereby endangering their primary hardware supplier. There are already rumors that Samsung is getting ready to cut off Apple in the future. Why does Apple buy the majority of internal hardware from Samsung? Because they make the best and have the most robust supply line.

Buying one of the "top tier" Android tablets (Nexus 7/10 or Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7/10.1) is not "cheaping yourself" - you just aren't paying the Apple tax for your tablet. Also, the Android OS UI/feature set is maturing rapidly, and now progressing much faster than IOS feature enhancements.

tezster
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 07/14/09

Loc: Missisauga, Canada
Re: Nexus 7 or Kindle Fire HD? new [Re: gmartin02]
      #5539247 - 11/25/12 06:51 PM

I'm very happy with my N7 + SS + BETI setup

I think the bottom line is, both iOS and Android devices are viable options. The price premium of the iPad (mini) kind of made the decision for me. As mentioned, I also recommend staying away from the cheaper Android tablets, and only limit yourself to the better known, proven models.

The good thing about iDevices is the look/feel and functionality across devices is almost identical, so you don't have to worry about compatibility issues. There's a lot more options out there with Android, which is both a good and bad thing.

btschumy

Re: Nexus 7 or Kindle Fire HD? new [Re: tezster]
      #5539531 - 11/25/12 10:30 PM

Quote:

Not sure why you think the Nexus7 can't connect to an ad hoc wireless system because it can.

Marcus,
I'm pretty sure this is not possible without rooting your device and installing a patch. I know mine won't see an Ad Hoc network.

snorkler
Aperture Aficionado

#5539682 - 11/26/12 12:37 AM

Bill, my two rooted Nexus 7s have no problems seeing each other and connecting. One is running Android 4.1.2, and the other is on 4.2. Both have a Wi-Fi Direct option (inside Settings > Wi-Fi > settings), and all I have to do is invite the other device to connect, and accept the invitation. I'm sure the same option exists on unrooted N7s.

I'm not sure how to communicate between the two connected devices, but I think I have established an ad hoc connection between them, have I not?

Edited by snorkler (11/26/12 01:36 AM)

snorkler
Aperture Aficionado

Re: Nexus 7 or Kindle Fire HD? new [Re: snorkler]
      #5539713 - 11/26/12 01:16 AM

I answered my own question. I searched Google Play Store for ad hoc network, and found an app named iDovatter, and was able to send messages between my Nexus 7 tablets within 5 minutes via their ad hoc network.

Edited by snorkler (11/26/12 01:19 AM)

rockethead26
Post Laureate

#5539867 - 11/26/12 07:01 AM

Nice find, Darrell! But, you are working with a rooted Nexus, and I'm not sure where the ad hoc capabilities are coming from, the app in combo with the rooted device, or just the app. Can anyone confirm that this app will work with an out-of-the-box Nexus and the SkyFi? That would be a winner for me.

btschumy

#5539978 - 11/26/12 09:25 AM

You also need to make sure this app is using an Ad Hoc network rather than WiFi-Direct. The two are somewhat similar, but not the same. I know Android supports WiFi-Direct.

snorkler
Aperture Aficionado

#5540347 - 11/26/12 01:49 PM

I can verify iDovatter connects independently of Wi-Fi Direct. I disconnected my devices from Wi-Fi Direct, and they communicated.

There was an initial problem. Yesterday's session remained in memory, and although my devices saw each other, they weren't communicating. I had to clear data and caches. Then they communicated.

Idovatter does not require rooting, and Super SU access is not requested.

JAT Observatory
NOT a Wimp

Reged: 02/20/05

Loc: In the Primordial Soup
      #5540453 - 11/26/12 02:49 PM

So one of the things I found last night is Android devices can be made to work with other android devices (3rd party apps whatever). But true Ad Hoc and an Android device is an absolute no go with other non Android things. If you need that you should buy an iSomething until Android wakes up a fixes that.

snorkler
Aperture Aficionado

Re: Nexus 7 or Kindle Fire HD? new [Re: JAT Observatory]
      #5541216 - 11/26/12 10:42 PM

So, Wi-Fi Direct ad hoc networking, and third party app ad hoc networking aren't "true" ad hoc networking? Why didn't somebody tell me only "true" ad hoc networking qualifies as ad hoc communicating?

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
3 registered and 8 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  richard7, kkokkolis 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3094

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics