Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1
rmcarner

Reged: 07/02/08

NexStar Setup Question
      #5521018 - 11/15/12 11:28 AM

I just purchased a Celestron GT. Is there a way of loading a 2nd locaton into the Nexstar hand controller? I looking at p.33 of the manual and can see easily enough how to get to Scope Setup. But I don't see a way of entering another location.

Also, when I turn off the power to the mount it doesn't appear that the time or date is saved in flash memory. I'm assuming that is because there is no micro power source in the mount itself that would advance time and date?

Thanks.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
MikeBOKC
Post Laureate

Reged: 05/10/10

Loc: Oklahoma City, OK
Re: NexStar Setup Question new [Re: rmcarner]
      #5521049 - 11/15/12 11:42 AM

I believe that during setup you can just hit undo when the old location appears and enter the new one. Also Celestron makes a plug in GPS unit that will download the time, date and location automatically when you start setup if you are going to be using the nount at lots of different locations.

rmcarner

Re: NexStar Setup Question new [Re: MikeBOKC]
      #5521103 - 11/15/12 12:09 PM

Quote:

I believe that during setup you can just hit undo when the old location appears and enter the new one.

The new handpads have replaced 'Undo' with 'Back' although their function is likely the same, I would guess. But, I am still left with the question - actually more than one question.
Menu>Scope Setup>Setup Time-Site shows the saved site: Lancaster, PA. Hitting the Back button simply takes one back to 'View Time-Site'. I am trying to find out how to enter a new location or delete the one that exists and enter a new location.

Quote:

Also Celestron makes a plug in GPS unit that will download the time, date and location automatically when you start setup if you are going to be using the nount at lots of different locations.

I know. Thanks for the tip but I like to be able to do this as opposed to spending $150 or so on something I really don't want.

Locoman
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 03/09/09

Loc: Abilene, Kansas
      #5521397 - 11/15/12 03:09 PM

I recently got the same scope and mount and have tried to do the same but from what I can tell it only remembers your last location that was entered so you have to undo or press "Back" and enter a new location.

rmcarner

Re: NexStar Setup Question new [Re: Locoman]
      #5521520 - 11/15/12 04:28 PM

My problem is that going back just takes you to "Advanced GT". Then what?

Locoman
scholastic sledgehammer

#5521596 - 11/15/12 05:21 PM

I'm kinda new at this but I believe you press "Menu" then scroll to "Scope Setup" and change your location there.

MikeBOKC
Post Laureate

Reged: 05/10/10

Loc: Oklahoma City, OK
      #5521909 - 11/15/12 09:02 PM

Forgot about the new Celestron hand controller Dick -- might just call customer service and see if they can talk you through it. I like the undo key on my older Celestron controller. Sometimes I think we need a similar feature on life . . . took that job? UNDO! Dated who? UNDO . . .

rmcarner

#5521955 - 11/15/12 09:26 PM

Quote:

I'm kinda new at this but I believe you press "Menu" then scroll to "Scope Setup" and change your location there.

Menu>Scope Setup>Time-Site. But there is nothing about the Site. The options are: Time, Zone, DST and date. I cannot find a way of entering a new site or deleting the old site. Isn't that more than a bit strange?

rmcarner

Re: NexStar Setup Question new [Re: MikeBOKC]
      #5521973 - 11/15/12 09:38 PM

Quote:

Forgot about the new Celestron hand controller Dick -- might just call customer service and see if they can talk you through it. I like the undo key on my older Celestron controller. Sometimes I think we need a similar feature on life . . . took that job? UNDO! Dated who? UNDO . . .

Funny! I guess if no one has never attempted to change locations and run into this problem then I will call support. This is actually my 2nd mount. I ordered one 6 weeks ago from a seller in CA. That mount had what I suspected was a problem with the mother board. I could never get through set up before the mount would go into an uncontrollable slew. 'Undo' or 'Back' was unresponsive so I had to turn the mount off. I sent everything back to Celestron and just got the new mount. Since the manual doesn't cover much in the way of trouble shooting issues, I guess I'll have to call Celestron tomorrow. This is my first experience with NexStar. I'm surprised that they didn't allow for a battery in the hand controller that would keep time and date active. I'm even more surprised that there isn't a scroll down labeled 'Location'...

Locoman
scholastic sledgehammer

#5521992 - 11/15/12 09:51 PM

Ok,here's what you do. When you plug it in and it say's "Nexstar Ready" press enter. Select "SkyAlign". Next it should say "Time" where you enter your times. Press the back button when your at the "Time" screen and you can enter your longitude and latatude or press the back button again and you can select a city. Hope this helps!

Locoman
scholastic sledgehammer

#5522009 - 11/15/12 10:00 PM

I just checked and you can do the same thing when you press menu and "Scope Setup" . Just hit the Back button when your at the "Time" screen.

rmcarner

#5522029 - 11/15/12 10:16 PM

Quote:

Ok,here's what you do. When you plug it in and it say's "Nexstar Ready" press enter. Select "SkyAlign". Next it should say "Time" where you enter your times. Press the back button when your at the "Time" screen and you can enter your longitude and latatude or press the back button again and you can select a city. Hope this helps!

This helps. Hitting the back button though takes you first to the city. Hitting it again take you to the state. All very strange. This programmer must have been smoking some really good product when he/she designed this format for changing a location.

Locoman
scholastic sledgehammer

#5522042 - 11/15/12 10:24 PM

LOL, I didn't know how to change the location, I just played around with it and stumbled onto it. I agree that its not programed well. Would be nice to be able to store several different locations.

Pages: 1

Extra information
17 registered and 31 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay, iceblaze 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 483

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics