Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home page

Astrophotography and Sketching >> Solar System Imaging & Processing

Pages: 1
sfugardi
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 09/30/06

Loc: CT
Jupiter + Io f25 RGB 11/15/12 new
      #5520638 - 11/15/12 06:53 AM Attachment (117 downloads)

Taken this morning in good seeing although CSC called it average. An interesting shot of Io & its shadow straddling the GRS. I kept the image size modest using my 2.5x Powermate and the gains around 2700 +/- trying to minimize noise. Avi times were 60sec each which are a bit long with Io's disk seen elongated. 80fps for R,G and 45fps for B. Ironically, now that I finally figured out how to polar align my scope (after many years), Jupiter does not move and it collects the diagonal noise. I tried moving it within the small 400x400 ROI to spread the noise somewhat. At the end, I tried to capture flats with the same conditions, except my flourecent light that was propped up inside my dome dropped and it broke. It was my first Jupiter in weeks and I have to say imaging at >60deg altitude is awesome.

Regards,
Steve

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Kokatha man
Postmaster

Reged: 09/13/09

Loc: "cooker-ta man" downunda...
Re: Jupiter + Io f25 RGB 11/15/12 new [Re: sfugardi]
      #5520652 - 11/15/12 07:15 AM

Despite the tribulations this is still a very nice image Steve..!

sfugardi
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Jupiter + Io f25 RGB 11/15/12 new [Re: Kokatha man]
      #5520675 - 11/15/12 07:31 AM

Mo, thanks! I've got 40GB of data to plow through and some video derotation to try. It was night that a C14 or 16" Newt would have resolved like crazy. The eyepiece view at the end was the best I've seen in a long time. I could easily see the shadow and GRS but had a difficult time finding Io itself against the globe.

Regards,
Steve

Tuawcxs
sage

Reged: 04/25/08

#5520711 - 11/15/12 08:11 AM

Steve, I was out with you from midnight till 1:30 in NJ using some new eyepieces and saw what you imaged. First time out since Sandy. It is a very unique image with Io and its shadow with the RedSpot. Its amasing how big Jupiter has gotten in a few weeks. Great image as always. Eventhough there were high winds higher up there were some nice steady moments. The next couple days look clear. Sorry for the gibber but its good to have clear skys and an opposition to image

bunyon
Post Laureate

Reged: 10/23/10

Loc: Winston-Salem, NC
Re: Jupiter + Io f25 RGB 11/15/12 new [Re: Tuawcxs]
      #5520737 - 11/15/12 08:32 AM

Lovely image, Steve!

Eddgie
Postmaster

Reged: 02/01/06

#5520742 - 11/15/12 08:35 AM

I "blogged" my observing report on the Solar System forum and was waiting to see the images.

Thanks for posting.

I was pleased to see that even in your picture, Io's disk hints at the same impression I had visually... That the disk appeared to stand out from the background of the planet like the head of a rivet. I don't get the same stength of impression of this in the image as I did visually, but I do see it.

I think it may be some very slight albedo shading on Io perhaps giving the impression that there is a shadow on the limb or a rivet head.

Anyway, visually impression was distinct, and your image hints at it.

Thanks again for posting. Was nice to see an image of this and I am hoping there will be more.

Sunspot
Postmaster

Reged: 03/15/05

Loc: Surprise, AZ
      #5520791 - 11/15/12 09:26 AM

Sweet!!

Paul

Rankinstudio
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 04/05/08

Loc: Southern UT
Re: Jupiter + Io f25 RGB 11/15/12 new [Re: Sunspot]
      #5520797 - 11/15/12 09:31 AM

Nice image!

BKBrown
Post Laureate

Reged: 08/23/09

Loc: Northern Virginia, USA
      #5520861 - 11/15/12 09:59 AM

Cool shot Steve, I like the Io/GRS/shadow composition

Clear Skies,
Brian

ToxMan
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 01/23/11

Loc: Tucson, Arizona, USA
Re: Jupiter + Io f25 RGB 11/15/12 new [Re: BKBrown]
      #5520980 - 11/15/12 11:05 AM

Beautiful, Steve. Any diagonal lines show up during processing?

Erik Bakker
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 08/10/06

Loc: The Netherlands, Europe
      #5521119 - 11/15/12 12:18 PM

Steve,

Very nice image of Jupiter and Io. Thanks for sharing.

DesertRat
Post Laureate

Reged: 06/18/06

Loc: Valley of the Sun
      #5521352 - 11/15/12 02:36 PM

Excellent! Io is streaking some but that moon does have darker poles so I think you did capture real detail. Its spread over just a few pixels but its real in my opinion.

Decent seeing is sometimes had even with a jet stream. The best capture I had last apparition was with a moderate jet stream, so predicting seeing is problematic at best. Good you made it out there - well done!

Glenn

sfugardi
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Jupiter + Io f25 RGB 11/15/12 new [Re: DesertRat]
      #5522082 - 11/15/12 10:58 PM

Guys, I really appreciate the comments!

Tuawcxs, last night was cold and I wasn't prepared to stay out late and the seeing just kept getting better as Jupiter climbed higher. Jupiter at 312x was huge.
Eddgie, Your C14 view must have been excellent. Watching a transit is the best. Several years back I was lucky to see my only double shadow transit and the GRS in the same view.
ToxMan, those annoying diagonal lines were in full force and all I could do was to carefully keep moving the globe around. I suspect there may be a camera issue but I hate to send it in weeks before opposition. Hopefully I can figure out a flatfield procedure. Reg6 has issues with it, but Reg5 seems to work.
Glenn, I tried derotating the 60sec avi video data but it seems to have little effect. The focus offsets got tighter as Jupiter climbed which surprised me. Re-recollimating after a few months may have helped. It was good to finally get a decent night. Capturing moon detail has always been a challenge for me. I'll go back and process an avi run as Io approaches and check for detail

Regards,
Steve

ToxMan
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 01/23/11

Loc: Tucson, Arizona, USA
      #5522611 - 11/16/12 10:34 AM

Quote:

ToxMan, those annoying diagonal lines were in full force and all I could do was to carefully keep moving the globe around. I suspect there may be a camera issue but I hate to send it in weeks before opposition. Hopefully I can figure out a flatfield procedure. Reg6 has issues with it, but Reg5 seems to work.

I found the Moire pattern (diagonal lines) are most noticeable at high gain and high frame rate settings, ie 15 to 30 fps. So, I almost always have them in red filter video, and most near IR video. This would seem to indicate the problem is related to signal noise. And, Moire pattern is more optical in nature (as opposed to noise.) So, I'm stymied. My thought was, to shoot Jupiter using Firecapture rather then IC Capture so I could set up each filter to capture at different frame rates. I think during actual capture, Firecapture will be faster in switching over frame rates. I can eliminate signal related lines in near infrared and red videos shooting at 7.5 fps rather than 15 or 30. More light enters camera through green and blue, making 15 to 30 fps possible without lines. To process them out or minimize them with denoise, I end up losing some data.

Are you finding your problem manifesting at higher gain and frame rate settings in the red and infrared?

Paul

siriusc
professor emeritus

Reged: 04/03/07

Loc: Racine, WI
Re: Jupiter + Io f25 RGB 11/15/12 [Re: sfugardi]
      #5523026 - 11/16/12 02:56 PM

Hi Steve,

Really great work, Io looks perfect to me and it's shadow is as black as coal, very impressive... congrats!!! I also observed this transit, it was fun to watch Io slowly pass over the GRS, I used a power of 560X, the view was nice and sharp through the barlow and binoviewer that I had attached to the 12. I wonder when Io and its shadow will do this again? Please post some more pics from that night! Could you also show one of your setup?

Thanks, clear skies, Dan

P.S. I saved that one!

Edited by siriusc (11/16/12 03:23 PM)

Pages: 1

Extra information
8 registered and 11 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TG, Starman81, bilgebay, WOBentley 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 964

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics