Astrophotography and Sketching >> Solar System Imaging & Processing

Pages: 1
lcd1080
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 06/03/10

Loc: Maryland, USA
Jupiter and Ganymede on Nov 11th (wavelet edited) new
      #5521599 - 11/15/12 05:24 PM

This was the first opportunity I've ever had to image Jupiter's large moon Ganymede; I recorded the image at 0456UT on the 11th of November. Because of the large difference in brightness between Jupiter and Ganymede I processed each one separately and then placed the Ganymede layer on top of the Jupiter layer. I never know if I've gotten albedo features on Jovian moons or not but the image does show a dark central region on Ganymede surrounded by a lighter color area. For this image Jupiter was at an elevation of 62 degrees; seeing was only fair which was surprising because the upper level winds (at the 300 mb level of the atmosphere) were moving at a very weak 20 knots and the humidity was around 90%. Usually those conditions result in better seeing but other factors of which I'm not aware must contribute to the overall seeing equation.

I used a C11 with a Televue 2.5x Powermate amplifier working at F/24 together with a monochrome CCD webcam and color filter wheel.

EDIT: I added a second version of this image where I lowered the wavelet values in Registax. As I mentioned below the aesthetics are better but that comes at the expense of less image detail.

Thanks for looking,
Pete

Edited by lcd1080 (11/16/12 10:33 AM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Kokatha man
Postmaster

Reged: 09/13/09

Loc: "cooker-ta man" downunda...
Re: Jupiter and Ganymede on Nov 11th new [Re: lcd1080]
      #5521682 - 11/15/12 06:22 PM

Good one Pete....!

Strangely, Ganymede seems to reveal detail at times even if the seeing won't do justice to Jupiter itself.....glad you were able to score some albedo marking on Ganymede!

sfugardi
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 09/30/06

Loc: CT
Re: Jupiter and Ganymede on Nov 11th new [Re: Kokatha man]
      #5522025 - 11/15/12 10:12 PM

Pete, nice Ganymede detail. I went back to my 2.5x powermate last night after many sessions extending my 1.8x & 2.0x barlows with various tube lengths trying to get the right image size. Thanks for posting

Regards,
Steve

lcd1080
scholastic sledgehammer

Re: Jupiter and Ganymede on Nov 11th new [Re: sfugardi]
      #5522605 - 11/16/12 10:29 AM

Thanks Darryl and Steve! Here's another version of the image where I used lower wavelet values; I think the aesthetics are better but it comes at the expense of less image detail.

Pete

DesertRat
Post Laureate

Reged: 06/18/06

Loc: Valley of the Sun
Re: Jupiter and Ganymede on Nov 11th new [Re: lcd1080]
      #5523084 - 11/16/12 03:42 PM

Good work Pete! The second image is pretty good, if about 10% of the red was taken out it might help give it some balance. I think you did get some real details in there - so congratulations!

Glenn

lcd1080
scholastic sledgehammer

Re: Jupiter and Ganymede on Nov 11th [Re: DesertRat]
      #5523684 - 11/17/12 12:08 AM

Thanks Glenn! I reduced the red weight a bit as you suggested. Looks like there'll be another opportunity to image Ganymede here on the East Coast on Saturday the 17th at 11:00 PM EST if the forecast holds. I'm looking forward to that.

Pete

Pages: 1

Extra information
10 registered and 14 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TG, Starman81, bilgebay, WOBentley 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 521

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics