Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

General Astronomy >> Beginners Forum

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
mitaccio
professor emeritus

Reged: 03/17/09

Loc: Oahu, Hawaii
What to do when you can't get to a dark site
      #5523944 - 11/17/12 08:40 AM

I, like many others, would love to travel to a dark sky site to do my observations. Unfortunately life won't accomodate it. So, I resign myself to viewing in my yard. Problem is, it isn't ideal. Not by a long shot. But I know I am not alone in this, that others have travelled my road.

My question is this: if you can't travel to a dark sky site, what is the next best thing to do at home, and how do you make it a reality?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Pentax Syntax

Reged: 11/03/12

Loc: Maryland
Re: What to do when you can't get to a dark site new [Re: mitaccio]
      #5523961 - 11/17/12 08:53 AM

Like you, I rarely am able to get to a dark site. Here are some of my strategies:

1. Wear an astronomer's vest with hood and "astro goggles". I was shocked how this improved my ability to see certain objects. One soon learns to lift the goggles and wrap the hood. Best purchases I made.

2. Light pollution filters. I have both the Celestron LP filter and the Orion ultrablock. These work reasonably well on emission nebula. Don't expect them to do much for galaxies.

3. High magnification with widefield eyepieces. As many others have pointed out, this is a way to deal with less than ideal skies.

4. Finally, I remind myself to enjoy what I CAN SEE rather than become disappointed about what the light pollution has stolen from me. The important thing is to improve your observing skills and that takes practice. I have been at it for over 40 years and still learning every night.

Curious about what others think. Great thread!

GOLGO13
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 11/05/05

Loc: St. Louis area
      #5523978 - 11/17/12 09:12 AM

The first thing I do is cry

Then I focus on the objects which are just as good (sometimes even better) in light pollution. Planets, Double Stars, brighter star clusters like the double cluster, coat hanger, etc...With my 6 inch and 10 inch some deep sky objects are not bad, such as globular clusters M13, M92, etc (120x-200x on those). The Blue Snowball at low magnification can actually be quite blue. Other planetary nebulas are also visible.

And I do all of this from some very light polluted skies. Maybe not the worst, but pretty bad.

Maverick199
Postmaster

Reged: 02/27/11

Loc: India
Re: What to do when you can't get to a dark site new [Re: GOLGO13]
      #5524009 - 11/17/12 09:29 AM

From the time I made my purchase last March and to this day, never thought of going to a dark site. I just resigned myself to my 'city sky dome' and make do with whatever is on offer. I only get a day off so work and family keeps me occupied from thinking of going for a night out. I am sure once I visit a dark site, it would be nothing short of visiting Disneyland in Orlando.

Achernar
Postmaster

Reged: 02/25/06

Loc: Mobile, Alabama, USA
      #5524029 - 11/17/12 09:48 AM

I do the following, since my situation mirrors yours.

1. I look at the objects I can find from home, of which there's quite a good many through my 10 and 15-inch telescopes.

2. I used light screens to block glare from nearby lights, and it makes a big difference.

3. Taking ocassional trips to darker sites where possible.

4. Joining a local club, which in my case has access to a darker site than my drveway, enough to get some good observing of the dimmer galaxies.

That is what I do to get around the light polluted skies of Mobile Alabama.

Taras

WarmWeatherGuy
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 08/27/11

Loc: Orlando, FL 28° N, 81° W
Re: What to do when you can't get to a dark site new [Re: Achernar]
      #5524186 - 11/17/12 11:21 AM

Buy a NexImage 5 and take pictures of Jupiter.

This image of Jupiter was taken with a 5" scope.

csrlice12
Postmaster

Reged: 05/22/12

Loc: Denver, CO
Re: What to do when you can't get to a dark site new [Re: WarmWeatherGuy]
      #5524225 - 11/17/12 11:41 AM

Cry.

If there are lights around, try laying a patio umbrella on its side; this hellps to block street lights, neighbors porch lites, etc...

You can also view double stars, clusters, planets, and the moon, and maybe some of the brighter DSOs.

Was in Oahu a few years ago. Loved the Island. There is a large observatory there on one of the mountain tops (heard it gets cold up there though). But on the drive from the port to another city where they did a play about Hawaii's history (cant remember the city's name) There seemed to be a few streachs of deserted beach....Clear Skies.

Tony Flanders
Postmaster

Reged: 05/18/06

Loc: Cambridge, MA, USA
      #5524271 - 11/17/12 12:13 PM

Quote:

I, like many others, would love to travel to a dark sky site to do my observations. Unfortunately life won't accomodate it. So, I resign myself to viewing in my yard.

It's worth pointing out that traveling to dark skies and staying in your backyard aren't the only options.

My city home doesn't have a backyard, and the sidewalk is only suitable for the Moon and planets because of the streetlights. However, the nearest site that could reasonably be called dark is 2.5 hours away.

So I compromise. I usually travel 10 or 15 minutes to a local park. It's well worth it to obtain a nearly unobstructed view of the sky and complete freedom from streetlights.

C_Moon
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 10/23/09

Loc: Beneath the arms of Cassiopeia
Re: What to do when you can't get to a dark site new [Re: Tony Flanders]
      #5524292 - 11/17/12 12:32 PM

Quote:

So I compromise. I usually travel 10 or 15 minutes to a local park. It's well worth it to obtain a nearly unobstructed view of the sky and complete freedom from streetlights.

Around here parks close at sunset. Is this true for you too, or do you have arrangements with the parks? A dream would be to have a place to go 10-15 min away that is open any night at any hour.

csrlice12
Postmaster

Re: What to do when you can't get to a dark site new [Re: C_Moon]
      #5524389 - 11/17/12 01:41 PM

I think he means local neighborhood parks, or even schoolyards/playgrounds are another place. Kind of creepy, but cemetaries are great for viewing--anyone ever notice cemetaries DON'T have streetlights??? Watch out for those zombies though.

bassplayer142
professor emeritus

Reged: 10/03/11

Loc: Michigan
Re: What to do when you can't get to a dark site new [Re: csrlice12]
      #5524397 - 11/17/12 01:47 PM

Observe later at night when car and heir headlights are at a low. Have fun with planets, the moon, and doubles!

Locoman
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 03/09/09

Loc: Abilene, Kansas
Re: What to do when you can't get to a dark site new [Re: csrlice12]
      #5524404 - 11/17/12 01:51 PM

I am fortunate. I live in a small town of about 6,500 people. According to dark sky finder its a yellow zone. The milkyway is cleary seen and stars are abound in my backyard. I'm about 15 mins from a grey zone but I have only ventured there twice. Counting my blessings!

sg6
professor emeritus

Reged: 02/14/10

Loc: Norfolk, UK.
      #5524425 - 11/17/12 02:04 PM

I simply look at whatever is possible, often a bit unchanging from night to night as the views are limited from where I live. It does however help that the town reduces the number of lights that are on towards midnight so it gets darker quite fast about 11:50.

Next I suppose is a local astro roup, fortunate there is one where I live and they have a reasonable place to observe from on the edge of the town. So darker then my place and as said more dark at midnight.

Without being able to get to somewhere dark, and there really are very few here, you have to make the best of anything you can. The other aspect is realistic expectations, you are not going to see the faintest dimmest DSO's in the NGC.

stevenf
sage

Reged: 10/11/09

Loc: Vancouver, BC
Re: What to do when you can't get to a dark site new [Re: sg6]
      #5524453 - 11/17/12 02:19 PM

My home doesn't have a backyard, and the front isn't suitable. But I have a nice south facing balcony, and I get a great view of planets and the moon. So I enjoy that and save the DSO viewing for when I'm under dark skies.

chas51

Reged: 06/03/06

Loc: Charlotte, North Carolina
Re: What to do when you can't get to a dark site new [Re: Maverick199]
      #5524825 - 11/17/12 06:18 PM

If you can't get to a dark sky site easily, DON'T DO IT! I was warned about doing this several years ago. Yes, you can see with an unaided eye more than you can see at home with your telescope, but as I found out, upon coming home to my sky dome of lights, I just didn't feel like observing for awhile. Once you see the darkness of the sky, it's hard to observe anywhere else, so just stay home and appreciate what you can see.

csrlice12
Postmaster

Re: What to do when you can't get to a dark site new [Re: chas51]
      #5524876 - 11/17/12 06:50 PM

Oh Chas51, the best filter you can have is the "gas" filter. The in-town skies are still full of wonder. That's when to view the planets and the moon. Jupiter is especially good viewing and Venus in the Morning. Split the double star Mizar in the handle of the Big Dipper. There's lots of doubles and even colored stars to see that light pollution doesn't affect much. I know, I live in a White Zone. Just across the neighborhood park from me are skyscrapers. Heart of the Denver Tech Center. Yes, Savour those Dark Sky Trips.....that's the time for galaxies, nebulas, and those other faint fuzzies. There is plenty to view in both types of skies. I originally thought as you, my views are restricted to between 45* and 90* and only to the East and North, but I'm finding things to view. Sometimes I just plug in my 13mm Nagler and Scan the skies for anything interesting--and there's always something interesting...

Tony Flanders
Postmaster

Reged: 05/18/06

Loc: Cambridge, MA, USA
      #5525696 - 11/18/12 08:44 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Around here parks close at sunset. Is this true for you too, or do you have arrangements with the parks? A dream would be to have a place to go 10-15 min away that is open any night at any hour.

Well, I'm lucky enough to live in a city, where people use the parks extensively night and day. Some of them are technically closed after certain hours, but that rule is hardly ever enforced.

Unused ball fields are a particularly good bet; they're big and treeless.

lamplight
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 09/18/12

Loc: western MA, U.S.
Re: What to do when you can't get to a dark site new [Re: Achernar]
      #5526101 - 11/18/12 01:03 PM

Quote:

I do the following, since my situation mirrors yours.

1. I look at the objects I can find from home, of which there's quite a good many through my 10 and 15-inch telescopes.

2. I used light screens to block glare from nearby lights, and it makes a big difference.

agreed. makes a HUGE difference. now that its colder here im kind of glad i have at least _some_ sky views.. and i can take 10 steps to get a fresh hot tea and warm up. mostly can see just east and a little south... last night was able to bag M79, barely! (meaning faintness/ light pollution/ and low altitude).

GeneT
Ely Kid

Reged: 11/07/08

Loc: South Texas
      #5527112 - 11/18/12 11:59 PM

Just look at the planets, moon, and brighter globulars, and double stars. That's all I can see from my Mag 3 skies from my back yard in San Antonio. I have a site 22 miles from my house that has Mag 4.8 skies where I can see a lot more. I have to travel 90 miles for truly dark skies. I recommend finding a site 10-20 miles from where you live that would be doable with your busy life.

jerwin
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 05/17/12

Loc: Romeoville IL
Re: What to do when you can't get to a dark site new [Re: GeneT]
      #5527170 - 11/19/12 12:43 AM

There is a book called The Urban Astronomers Guide. He has some tips for trying to find dark places to view, but for me it was nice to just get a list of objects he was able to see within the limits of a larger city. Figured if he could do it then I could find similar objects form the suburbs.

My local astronomy club has a "dark site" about an hour from my home that I try to go to once a month. It's a yellow zone, so not like it's in Arizona or anything like that, but dark enough I can pluck out some galaxies on a good night.

Jim

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
3 registered and 18 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  WOBentley, kkokkolis, Chuck Hards 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1442

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics