Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

General Astronomy >> Outreach

Pages: 1
David PavlichAdministrator
Transmographied

Reged: 05/18/05

Loc: Mandeville, LA USA
Hammond, LA, Starry Nights...
      #5524003 - 11/17/12 09:28 AM

Hammond, LA's annual kickoff to the holiday season, oddly enough called Starry Nights, was held last night. It's a street fair with all the typical stuff you'd find at such an event with one exception; the Pontchartrain Astronomy Society has a outreach event on the outer edge of the festivities.

This year we had a 16" Nightsky dob, a 10" and 8" Orion dob, an 8" Celestron Edge and my 10" Meade R. The crowd was down a bit this year to about 100 or so. Typically, we see well over 200. It was still a fun event.

Starting the evening, the young Moon was a nice object. I started out on NGC457 (ET Cluster). I was asked to show a galaxy, so I slewed to M31 and stayed there. The hilite of the evening was Jupiter once it elevated above the soup. The Galilean moons were in a near perfect line, so it made for a very nice viewing experience.

We had a good time and I got to visit with a couple of club members that I hadn't seen in quite a while. All in all, a terrific evening!

David

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Pages: 1

Extra information
2 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Cotts, tecmage 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 565

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics