Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Phil Wheeler
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 12/31/05

Loc: 3 miles WNW of Celestron
Re: CG-5GT motor control failure, no response 17 & 16 new [Re: Sean13]
      #5545872 - 11/29/12 05:20 PM

Great to hear that, Sean. Sometimes problems like this are less easily corrected!

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
ohioalfa64
sage

Reged: 08/16/12

Loc: Ohio (NW)
Re: CG-5GT motor control failure, no response 17 & 16 new [Re: Phil Wheeler]
      #5546261 - 11/29/12 09:14 PM

Sean13,
What is the motor board part number and what did it cost? Did you buy it from a third party or manufacturer. Finally, how painful was the disassembly and reassembly process? I feel you have discovered the secret of life for all used CG-5 GoTo mounts. Please share this info.

Sean13
sage

Reged: 11/17/12

Loc: North Platte, Nebraska
Re: CG-5GT motor control failure, no response 17 & 16 new [Re: ohioalfa64]
      #5546403 - 11/29/12 10:51 PM

This was the part I ordered directly from Celestron:
http://www.celestron.com/astronomy/celestron-motor-board-3.html

Cost was about $115 with shipping, and installation was fairly simple.

Actual disassembly of the mount, removal of the Chinese glue, re grease and reassemble was not so simple. The worm gears will take some time and effort to set the mesh just right to achieve as little slop as possible. Takes some trial and error but is rewarding with very responsive slewing. The mount can be further programed to compensate for any slop you may still have, I ended up having almost none. The motors were much much quieter with the new grease.

mclewis1
Thread Killer

Reged: 02/25/06

Loc: New Brunswick, Canada
Re: CG-5GT motor control failure, no response 17 & 16 new [Re: ohioalfa64]
      #5546472 - 11/29/12 11:54 PM

Quote:

I feel you have discovered the secret of life for all used CG-5 GoTo mounts. Please share this info.

MC board failure is actually exceedingly rare. Problems like the OP experienced are much more likely to be a) power b) connectors c) firmware

rmollise
Postmaster

Reged: 07/06/07

Re: CG-5GT motor control failure, no response 17 & 16 new [Re: mclewis1]
      #5546744 - 11/30/12 07:42 AM

Yep, with the first two being the cause of the overwhelming majority of problems.

Sean13
sage

Reged: 11/17/12

Loc: North Platte, Nebraska
Re: CG-5GT motor control failure, no response 17 & 16 new [Re: rmollise]
      #5547015 - 11/30/12 11:34 AM

Yea, I didn't read much about others with this board failing, and found no one else with the problem only when the board is cold. I figured it was a rare problem but after having the problem occur for more then a week it was just something I could feel and knew it was going to be this board or the power control board. I had already attempted the easy stuff, new power supply, played with all the wires when the problems happened and no amount of wiggle or movement would make the scope work again in the cold. Tested each part I could take off in the freezer, except the boards, and the scope still worked fine inside. I didn't get the idea to remove the board and freeze it until someone suggested it, and sure enough a frozen control board fails the scope even in the garage, until it heats up.

In hind sight, there were alot of other signs the motor control board was going out, even when the scope was working inside. The sound from the motors sounded like a dieing cat, and didn't keep a constant speed, like they were all the sudden being starved for current at times. The go-to approach was much different on the old board, the scope makes a fairly long approach on go-to now, old board was very short (both on factory settings). I didn't know how badly the old board was functioning until I replaced it and experienced a night with the new one.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
13 registered and 35 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2080

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics