Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home page

Telescope Specific Forums >> Meade Computerized Telescopes

Pages: 1
smartin53

Reged: 09/26/09

ETX-125 image jumps up and to the right
      #5525491 - 11/18/12 03:43 AM

I know this gets asked a lot but I of course am having some tracking issues when adjusting the view.

Whenever I move the object to try and center it, it adjusts with no issues, but then after a second or so the object will suddenly move up and to the right in the view before coming to a stop again. To get the object centered, I have to usually place it at the lower left edge of the view and hope it stops near center.

Now, I know I can send it to Meade or get it Supercharged, but I wanted to see if anyone had any thoughts. I'm actually good with doing repairs to mechanics but I'd want to get a good idea where to look if I were to try something myself.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
nytecam
Postmaster

Reged: 08/20/05

Loc: London UK
Re: ETX-125 image jumps up and to the right new [Re: smartin53]
      #5527336 - 11/19/12 04:53 AM

Yes - even after 'training' the ETX seem to have a mind of its own and wanders-off - very irritating. I have three ETX-70s [job lot!] and they all do it after goto, centering and syncing. Sometimes they settle down - somewhat ;-(

rmollise
Postmaster

Reged: 07/06/07

Re: ETX-125 image jumps up and to the right new [Re: nytecam]
      #5529555 - 11/20/12 08:10 AM

Meade won't supercharge it--or do any other sort of service to the scope these days, I'm afraid. Doc Clay Sherrod will, if the scope really needs it. Any time you get tracking problems with an ETX, the solution is almost always TRAIN DRIVES, being sure to do it carefully and do both the altitude and azimuth axes.

jgraham
Postmaster

Reged: 12/02/04

Loc: Miami Valley Astronomical Soci...
Re: ETX-125 image jumps up and to the right new [Re: rmollise]
      #5529610 - 11/20/12 08:55 AM

This is a well-known behavior called rubber-banding. There's a section on Mike Weasner's Might ETX Site that talks about how to reduce it. The first thing to try is a master reset of the controller, recalibrate the motors, and retraining the drives. Be sure not to skip the calibrate motors step. Doing your fine slewing using a slow slew rate also seems to help. It's been so long since I've done this I'd suggest checking with Mike's site to get the details.

REC
Post Laureate

Reged: 10/20/10

Loc: NC
Re: ETX-125 image jumps up and to the right new [Re: jgraham]
      #5529881 - 11/20/12 11:23 AM

Mine does that too, but not from the drive, but focuser. Every time I try to adjust the fine focus the image moves across the FOV....very irritating.

Bob

Pages: 1

Extra information
3 registered and 7 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Starman27, Christopher Erickson, Starman81 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 594

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics