Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1
Steve Drapak

Reged: 09/18/08

Loc: Toronto, Canada
Synscan GPS going crazy? new
      #5522134 - 11/15/12 11:49 PM

I'm using the most recent EQMOD with my EQ-6 and the Synscan GPS hooked up through USB. Up until recently it's worked well, but now when I turn it on and let it lock on it comes up with some bizarre results, like returning coordinates in the E instead of the W (placing me somewhere in China). Sometimes I'm shown in Mexico or Vancouver as well. The altitude frequently reports zero, that's something that never happened before as well.
I thought at first that I wasn't letting it run long enough but after leaving for 10-20 minutes it didn't seem to get better.
A cold (deep) restart helped it flip from E to W, but it still insisted I was in Mexico.
Has anyone run into this? Do you think the GPS is toast?
Or possibly I need to place it somewhere where it can see more of the sky.

Thanks for any advice. The EQ-6 is not happy with whatever it's being fed because gotos are REALLY far off and syncing on objects doesn't always help.

Steve

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
FaronD
sage

Reged: 03/25/10

Loc: Richmond Hill, Ontario
Re: Synscan GPS going crazy? new [Re: Steve Drapak]
      #5522721 - 11/16/12 11:23 AM

Hi Steve, first thing I would do is enter the coordinates and time manually to ensure it isn't another issue. Second, if it's possible, borrow one and compare the results. If I still had mine I would gladly let you borrow it. I have friends with the Synscan gps that I could probably set you up with if you don't have anyone in the Toronto area.

Faron

Steve Drapak

Reged: 09/18/08

Loc: Toronto, Canada
Re: Synscan GPS going crazy? [Re: FaronD]
      #5525867 - 11/18/12 11:02 AM

I was able to make Starry Night behave better by unplugging the GPS and manually entering in co-ordinates into EQMOD.
I'm Ok with doing that since the telescope is on a permanent pier. My favourite location reported by Starry Night was last night before I unplugged the GPS - "1120km East of the North Pole, International Waters". Brrr!
I think the GPS is messed, it's reporting Long and Lat in the thousands. I have a friend here that has one I can compare to eventually. I appreciate the offer to borrow yours

Steve

Pages: 1

Extra information
8 registered and 33 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay, iceblaze 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 549

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics