Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Astrophotography and Sketching >> Sketching

Pages: 1
Asbytec
Guy in a furry hat

Reged: 08/08/07

Loc: La Union, PI
Jupiter GRS 18 Nov
      #5526114 - 11/18/12 01:08 PM Attachment (29 downloads)

Wan't gonna sketch, but the festoons and the SEB looked so interesting and the "string of pearls" effect of the GRS wake changed all that. I hope the sketch does it justice.

Festoons don't seem to have that distinct blue, not as much. Getting harder to tell where the blue ends and the ruddy belt begins.

More later, it's late. Thanks for looking.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Ibmelrod
sage

Reged: 10/18/04

Loc: Ontario Canada
Re: Jupiter GRS 18 Nov new [Re: Asbytec]
      #5526843 - 11/18/12 09:00 PM

Beautiful job Norme. Glad you took the time.

Andrev
Post Laureate

Reged: 02/08/11

Loc: Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Re: Jupiter GRS 18 Nov new [Re: Ibmelrod]
      #5526943 - 11/18/12 10:04 PM

Norme you're getting better. This one is very nice and maybe its because the bands are looking softened...

Andre.

Asbytec
Guy in a furry hat

Re: Jupiter GRS 18 Nov new [Re: Andrev]
      #5526985 - 11/18/12 10:38 PM

Thanks, guys. Me, too, Mel.

Andre, you're work motivates me to do better, but it takes some effort. On this one, it was very difficult to get it just exactly right. The processed image looked a bit to soft, so I just hit "auto correct" (I never do that) and the image seemed to "pop" a bit more. So, I left it. I am still trying to produce work as careful and as accurately as your own.

Edited by Asbytec (11/18/12 10:39 PM)

frank5817
Postmaster

Reged: 06/13/06

Loc: Illinois
      #5527052 - 11/18/12 11:13 PM

Norme,

That is a great looking sketch. It would have been difficult for you not to sketch with that great view. I glad you captured it too.

Frank

Asbytec
Guy in a furry hat

Re: Jupiter GRS 18 Nov new [Re: frank5817]
      #5527163 - 11/19/12 12:37 AM

Frank, yea, that festoon complex was just too beautiful to pass up. When the "string of pearls" popped, I grabbed my pencil and paper and slapped a few mosquitoes.

Another interesting feature is that S Tropical belt that seems to be arcing into the GRS. Maybe the GRS will darken up a bit as it consumes it.

Edited by Asbytec (11/19/12 12:41 AM)

Jef De Wit
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 03/06/09

Loc: Hove, Belgium
      #5527517 - 11/19/12 09:11 AM

You are producing an impressive serie of Jupiter sketches... this one is no exception!

Chopin
Canis Insanus

Reged: 02/03/05

Loc: In the doghouse.
Re: Jupiter GRS 18 Nov new [Re: Jef De Wit]
      #5527608 - 11/19/12 10:09 AM

Holy cow! Look at that pearl necklace!!! Beautiful details here, Norme. What breathtaking colors in the festoon region. I love how you see such colorful variation from one festoon to the next.

BTW, I must be razzing you too hard lately. You never told us what your seeing conditions were.

Asbytec
Guy in a furry hat

Re: Jupiter GRS 18 Nov new [Re: Chopin]
      #5527771 - 11/19/12 11:43 AM

Jeff, thank you.

Jason, razz away, I deserve every word.

Yea, sorry, left that off. Jupiter was in 9/10 seeing. Trans about mag 5.

To me, the festoons are becoming harder to see as distinctly blue. When they mix with the NEB, it's even more difficult to see what color they are. So, I've tried to tone down the bright blue to match. Well, until tonight, Jupiter was in 10/10 seeing. Swear, dude. One wonderful, distinct blue festoon was seen reaching for the SEB. Awesome. Sketch coming...just cannot put the sketch pad away.

I think the ruddy browns in the sketch are a bit too saturated. They need to come down a bit. But, tonight there were definite hues seen...but still not quite distinct as sketched above.

Also, gave my left, dominate eye a chance to see Jupiter. You know, maybe should use that eye more often. It might be just slightly better, but maybe a bit less sensitive to color. Is that possible?

Andrev
Post Laureate

Reged: 02/08/11

Loc: Montreal, Quebec, Canada
      #5527816 - 11/19/12 12:07 PM

Norme.

You see my friend, more you fine tune you sketch, more nice comment you get. I'm extremely pleased to see how peoples enjoy this sketch as I do. Continue your fine tuning and you will get even better. Honestly this one is very nice.

You're getting like me, you can go at the eyepiece without your drawing pad... Its a very nice activity sketching. Your next step now is to add an eyepiece FOV around your sketch. That will add so much to your work and surely Jupiter's moons too would be a must.

Andre.

Edited by Andrev (11/19/12 12:09 PM)

Chopin
Canis Insanus

Reged: 02/03/05

Loc: In the doghouse.
      #5527931 - 11/19/12 01:15 PM

Quote:

Jeff, thank you.

Jason, razz away, I deserve every word.

Yea, sorry, left that off. Jupiter was in 9/10 seeing. Trans about mag 5.

To me, the festoons are becoming harder to see as distinctly blue. When they mix with the NEB, it's even more difficult to see what color they are. So, I've tried to tone down the bright blue to match. Well, until tonight, Jupiter was in 10/10 seeing. Swear, dude. One wonderful, distinct blue festoon was seen reaching for the SEB. Awesome. Sketch coming...just cannot put the sketch pad away.

I think the ruddy browns in the sketch are a bit too saturated. They need to come down a bit. But, tonight there were definite hues seen...but still not quite distinct as sketched above.

Also, gave my left, dominate eye a chance to see Jupiter. You know, maybe should use that eye more often. It might be just slightly better, but maybe a bit less sensitive to color. Is that possible?

9/10...and 10/10!?!?!?! With seeing like that you need to get a bigger scope...like a 20" or something!

Special Ed
Postmaster

Reged: 05/18/03

Loc: Greenbrier Co., WV 38N, 80W
Re: Jupiter GRS 18 Nov new [Re: Chopin]
      #5528054 - 11/19/12 02:08 PM

Great sketch, Norme. You got a tremendous view of that turbulence following the GRS as well as those festoons in the northern EZ.

About festoons--they are warmer areas deeper in the Jovian atmosphere which probably accounts for the variations in the intensity of their blue color (with seeing conditions being equal).

Of course, your seeing isn't equal. Sometimes it's 10/10 and other times only 9/10.

Rutilus
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 12/17/10

Re: Jupiter GRS 18 Nov new [Re: Special Ed]
      #5528188 - 11/19/12 03:26 PM

Norme - Great Jupiter sketch, the detail in SEB is awesome.

azure1961p
Postmaster

Reged: 01/17/09

Loc: USA
Re: Jupiter GRS 18 Nov new [Re: Rutilus]
      #5528625 - 11/19/12 07:22 PM

I think this is your most detailed yet . First thing that grabs me is the string of pearls but the festoon complex is really well rendered. This a really successful piece. Again the string of pearls is stunning - terrific micro details. Riveting.

This is the one to beat! !!

Pete

niteskystargazer
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 10/05/09

Loc: 41-43'-28" N 87-42'-39" W
      #5528632 - 11/19/12 07:25 PM

Norme,

Good sketch of Jupiter .

CS,KLU,

Tom

Pages: 1

Extra information
2 registered and 6 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  cildarith, JayinUT, WOBentley 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 620

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics