Pages: 1
E_Look
Post Laureate

Reged: 03/06/08

Loc: near New York
Short Session Ending with Jupiter
      #5526478 - 11/18/12 04:59 PM

This post may come off more like a whiny complaint, but here goes anyway:

Last night was my first night viewing in a long time. Not that I ever was good at starhopping, particularly in our skies here where it's more like star-broad-jumping, but I was REALLY out of touch. My GEM controls, both the manual knobs and the RA motor control buttons, all seemed like they were on a new, or someone else's scope. Needless to say, looking for objects was an exercise in clumsiness.

I knew where to look for Neptune; I didn't find it. By the time I think I was able to zero in on it, it was either grazing or just above a neighbor's rooftop. There apparently were roof thermals, enough even to distort stars.

Well, at least Jupiter is easy, or so I thought. I tried to slew the OTA to it and it banged against the tripod legs preventing me from getting to that planet until I swung it around the other way, reversing almost its position with respect to the counterweights...

... but ah, there it was, Jupiter! I was initially very disappointed even though the seeing settled down every very many seconds and I was treated to sharp views for a fraction of a second, because I missed Neptune. I didn't even try for Uranus, deciding to call it quits after Jupiter.

And in those all too brief moments of still clarity, Jupiter was rich in texture and detail. The NEB appeared irregularly wavy, and the GRS, though extremely faint and light-colored, was fascinating. To the west, right next to the GRS was some disturbance, smaller than the GRS, and the GRS itself was kind of faint, light and small, making it hard to lock onto visually with the seeing. But as far as I could make out, it was in its pocket in the SEB, and the SEB broke just a little before and after this pocket. I could not see any festooning, but was able to make out a broken NTB and STB. The polar zones were hard to see last night, for me.

What I saw, despite the brevity of each clear moment, supported the sketches of Jupiter posted here in the last several days. I must compliment the artists who were observing Jupiter in rendering such detailed images.

Edited by E_Look (11/19/12 11:05 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
tezster
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 07/14/09

Loc: Missisauga, Canada
Re: Short Session Ending with Jupiter new [Re: E_Look]
      #5526723 - 11/18/12 07:50 PM

I had one of my best views of Jupiter in recent memory last night; transparency was horrendous, but seeing was very good. What I like about Jupiter is you don't need ultra-high magnifications to see detail.

Asbytec
Guy in a furry hat

Reged: 08/08/07

Loc: La Union, PI
Re: Short Session Ending with Jupiter new [Re: tezster]
      #5527010 - 11/18/12 10:49 PM

Ed, despite your travails, it's nice to know there are other clumsy observers out there. My dark sky site is full of tripping hazards. I have to do some sort of modified goose step when ferrying the OTA to the mount. Thank goodness it's dark and no one is watching.

The smaller disturbance close to the GRS is probably oval BA. The GRS is faint, a bit darker along the southern edge. The festoons were more prominent earlier, but seem to have calmed down a bit.

Okay, so now that the travails have cleared for the season, I hope you find the time to observe more.

azure1961p
Postmaster

Reged: 01/17/09

Loc: USA
Re: Short Session Ending with Jupiter new [Re: Asbytec]
      #5527228 - 11/19/12 01:13 AM

Ed nice post kinda comparable to my night. First time out with the 8 in a long time. It started good but seeing deteriorated so badly even the E and F stars in the Trapezium were invisible. I estimate it was initially 7/10 nose diving to 3/10 with dew making it 1/10.

Its good to read your post Ed. Like you I passed on other targets.

Pete

E_Look
Post Laureate

Reged: 03/06/08

Loc: near New York
Re: Short Session Ending with Jupiter new [Re: azure1961p]
      #5527794 - 11/19/12 11:54 AM

I had no choice, Pete; time was short... and now mostly clouds are forecast for my exact area. At least the batteries held out- the batteries for the RA motor were used extensively for a battery-powered lamp during my fourteen days of blackout. But I think I'm going to have to get some more batteries if there are any more clear nights coincident with my free nights.

But as to Jupiter, Norme, I think you are right. It most likely was Oval BA that was southwest of the GRS. Too bad the seeing wasn't stable enough for me to really get a good look at it. The last time, a couple of years back, when Oval BA was prominent, I wasn't able to catch it. Now I can see it, but it was hard to visually resolve. I appreciate all you guys' drawings being posted here!

Asbytec
Guy in a furry hat

Reged: 08/08/07

Loc: La Union, PI
Re: Short Session Ending with Jupiter new [Re: E_Look]
      #5528738 - 11/19/12 08:27 PM

azure1961p
Postmaster

Reged: 01/17/09

Loc: USA
Re: Short Session Ending with Jupiter new [Re: Asbytec]
      #5528860 - 11/19/12 09:33 PM

Fourteen dayyyssssssssssss. OMG I couldn't stand five days last October with the freak snowstorm. Don't mean to divert here but where roughly are u with regard to the hurricanes path?

Ed I'm sorry about your difficulties.

Pete

Special Ed
Postmaster

Reged: 05/18/03

Loc: Greenbrier Co., WV 38N, 80W
Re: Short Session Ending with Jupiter new [Re: azure1961p]
      #5530691 - 11/20/12 05:41 PM

Ed,

Thanks for posting your observation--it sounds like you saw a lot of the main features visible on the King right now.

We've all been there when we're rusty and/or equipment gets cranky. Just hang in.

Dean Norris
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 11/05/08

Loc: Santa Cruz, Ca
Re: Short Session Ending with Jupiter new [Re: Special Ed]
      #5531252 - 11/20/12 10:57 PM

Ed,

You had a good view of Jupiter during those steady moments. GRS and Oval BA is a great catch. This hobby has its highs and lows just like the weather! Fortunately we have enough good nights to spur us on. Hoping we get some clear weather for the opposition.

Dean

Pages: 1

Extra information
1 registered and 6 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Rich (RLTYS), star drop 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 684

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics