Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Binoviewers

Pages: 1
Ennis
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 09/11/06

Loc: The Outer Limits
Binoviewer Newbie new
      #5057051 - 02/05/12 03:09 PM

I'm wanting a binoviewer for use in my EdgeHD 8. Can someone compare, for me, the Mark V Baader binoviewer to the Tele Vue BinoVue? I'm sure they're both good units, but is there really any good reason to pay the higher price for the Mark V?

Thank you.

E.

Edited by Ennis (02/05/12 03:10 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
DaveJ
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 01/07/05

Loc: NE Ohio
Re: Binoviewer Newbie new [Re: Ennis]
      #5057081 - 02/05/12 03:29 PM

Quote:

I'm wanting a binoviewer for use in my EdgeHD 8. Can someone compare, for me, the Mark V Baader binoviewer to the Tele Vue BinoVue? I'm sure they're both good units, but is there really any good reason to pay the higher price for the Mark V?

I hate to add to your confusion, but don't forget to add the Denkmeier "Denk II" into your comparison.

Astrojensen
Post Laureate

Reged: 10/05/08

Loc: Bornholm, Denmark
      #5057107 - 02/05/12 03:46 PM

Quote:

The MarkV has diopter adjustment on both eyepiece holders and require 30mm less back focus. It also has the largest adapter selection in the whole industry.

My eyes are slightly different and I need to adjust the focus for them individually. This is more critical at lower power. For this reason alone I cannot recommend the TeleVue bino.

Clear skies!
Thomas, Denmark

Ennis
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 09/11/06

Loc: The Outer Limits
Re: Binoviewer Newbie new [Re: Astrojensen]
      #5057133 - 02/05/12 04:03 PM

"The Mark V ... requires 30mm less back focus." Where do you get this information?

Thank you.

E.

Edited by Ennis (02/05/12 04:04 PM)

Astrojensen
Post Laureate

#5057166 - 02/05/12 04:28 PM

Quote:

"The Mark V ... requires 30mm less back focus." Where do you get this information?

Thank you.

Photographic memory! Or almost so, for things that I've read.

Baader's manual for the glasspath correctors state that the Mark V bino needs 111mm back focus with no GPC or prism diagonal attached. In an old "Astronomy" review the TeleVue bino was found to need 140mm back focus, sans diagonal or corrector. The rest is arithmetics.

Clear skies!
Thomas, Denmark

mountain monk
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 11/06/09

Loc: Grand Teton National Park
      #5057361 - 02/05/12 06:57 PM

Thomas,

Do you have the Mark V? I thought you had the Maxbright. Does the same arithmetic hold for both? Do both adjust individually? Thanks for your comment on the BinoVue--I've been leaning in that direction, now I will lean the other direction.

Dark skies.

Jack

Astrojensen
Post Laureate

Re: Binoviewer Newbie new [Re: mountain monk]
      #5057877 - 02/06/12 04:32 AM

Hi Jack

I have the Maxbright, but as I want to have the Mark V sometime in the future, I sort of collect information and data on it, in case it should be useful.

The Mark V and the Maxbrights share many common traits and the Maxbrights are a smaller and less expensive version of the Mark V, in many ways. The prisms are made and collimated with the same accuracy, only smaller, etc., according to Baader Planetarium. The Maxbrights have slightly shorter back focus requirement at 100mm, VS 111mm for the Mark V.

The Maxbrights have individual diopter adjustment. And as a industry first, the eyepiece holders can be user adjusted to align them with the light beams, for collimation. I have done this, and while a tricky affair, it works well.

Clear skies!
Thomas, Denmark

mountain monk
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 11/06/09

Loc: Grand Teton National Park
      #5058432 - 02/06/12 12:58 PM

Thanks, Thomas. I have never even seen a binoviewer or looked through one, so it is sometimes difficult to follow all the material here, especially the comparisons.

Dark skies.

Jack

johnnyha
Postmaster

Reged: 11/12/06

Loc: Sherman Oaks, CA
Re: Binoviewer Newbie new [Re: mountain monk]
      #5058864 - 02/06/12 04:43 PM

For your Edge HD I think you would be very happy with the Maxbrights!

jonheradas

Reged: 10/14/12

Loc: Toronto, Ont. Canada
Re: Binoviewer Newbie new [Re: johnnyha]
      #5526642 - 11/18/12 07:06 PM

Televue Binovues can be adjusted for diopter on eithrer eye by advancing the EP as much as needed mm or fractions thereof in the compression ring holder... great optics I would need a side by side comparison to differentiate and grade each...

JohnMurphyRN
sage

Reged: 09/09/12

Loc: Near St Louis
Re: Binoviewer Newbie new [Re: jonheradas]
      #5526673 - 11/18/12 07:29 PM

Quote:

Televue Binovues can be adjusted for diopter on eithrer eye by advancing the EP as much as needed mm or fractions thereof in the compression ring holder...

Which can be an irritation if you frequently change the EPs in the BV. I just leave my 19 Pans in mine and I don't need individual eye adjustment anyway so it's a double nonissue for me.

panhard
It's All Good

Reged: 01/20/08

Loc: Markham Ontario Canada
Re: Binoviewer Newbie [Re: JohnMurphyRN]
      #5526867 - 11/18/12 09:11 PM

You are lucky.

Pages: 1

Extra information
2 registered and 6 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TG, Geo557 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1177

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics