Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Binoculars

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
ChiroCop

Reged: 04/05/11

Loc: Fort Worth, TX.
2113 : A Binocular Space Odyssey
      #5527185 - 11/19/12 12:52 AM

As we finish up yet another year, I wonder where binoculars will be in 100 years ? Will they look anything like the ones we have today, or will they evolve into something we would not recognize ? They are already implementing image stabilization and range finding capabilities. Binocular manufacturing and optics continues to get more complex. However, at the end of the day, they are no more than just glass and metal. No computer chips......and nothing to plug in. This is what I love about them. But what happens when we reach perfection ? .......do we begin adding computer chips and a power supply ?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
brentwood
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 11/04/05

Loc: BC Canada
Re: 2113 : A Binocular Space Odyssey new [Re: ChiroCop]
      #5527274 - 11/19/12 02:30 AM

Whether they still have a glass lens or some kind of grating to refract the light, the resolution will still be limited by the size of the objective. 100x per inch of diameter will still be a limit, and that would be sufficient for almost anything. I think though that we would be viewing a screen rather than through an eyepiece and therefore the light gathering capability would be enormous considering the amount of progress we could expect over the next 100 years.
Stabilisation would be automatic on the object initially viewed and it would have to zoom in (Yes Bill, that would be standard by then) so you could manually override it, if you were say, observing the Jovian moons.
Range finding capabilities would be built in for terrestrial use and delux models would have some spectral analysis features.
Oh, and leather straps would NOT be available!

smart

Reged: 07/28/07

Loc: Oregon coast
Re: 2113 : A Binocular Space Odyssey new [Re: brentwood]
      #5527279 - 11/19/12 02:42 AM

I don't think it will take 100 years for image stabilization & digital zoom to be commonplace on binoculars. In about 10 years, with the continual miniaturization of electronics, binoculars will most likely be powered by a solar cell with a myriad of capabilites. But, just as a 1968 Ferrari 275GTB is still a blast to drive now, so too will a high grade year 2012 binocular be a joy to use in the year 2022 and onward. Harold in Oregon

RichD
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 11/08/07

Loc: Derbyshire, UK
Re: 2113 : A Binocular Space Odyssey new [Re: smart]
      #5527341 - 11/19/12 05:03 AM

I suspect there will be digital technology involved in producing the image somehow. A digital recreation of a live scene, if you like.

teelgul
sage

Reged: 09/02/11

Loc: Australia
      #5527351 - 11/19/12 05:23 AM

It would be great if the bino continues to be manual,metal,mechanical with the best optics possible .just a,beautiful precise optical instrument simple to use .no chips,chargers ,cords or cards .

daniel_h
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 03/08/08

Loc: VIC, Australia
Re: 2113 : A Binocular Space Odyssey new [Re: teelgul]
      #5527399 - 11/19/12 07:05 AM

I think it will be like video astronomy, you will look thu a bino box like the Fuji techno-stabi.. & get a scanned img of 4-10 sec to enhance detail, effectively looking at a short time delay. IS will be a given

edwincjones
Close Enough

Reged: 04/10/04

Re: 2113 : A Binocular Space Odyssey new [Re: daniel_h]
      #5527416 - 11/19/12 07:38 AM

My Guess is
-"plain" glass binoculars have evolved about as much as they will go
-some better glass
-better coatings
-cheaper optics will continue
-enhanced/digitial will continue to improve
but mainly internet astronomy will take the place of actual observing and only a few of us will remain outside under the night sky

edj

edwincjones
Close Enough

#5527426 - 11/19/12 07:42 AM

Quote:

It would be great if the bino continues to be manual,metal,mechanical with the best optics possible .just a,beautiful precise optical instrument simple to use .no chips,chargers ,cords or cards .

I agree, but this will be limited to a few of our old fogy great, great, great, great grandchildren

edj

Andresin150
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 08/14/07

Loc: Bogotá - La Calera / Colombia
Re: 2113 : A Binocular Space Odyssey new [Re: edwincjones]
      #5528234 - 11/19/12 03:41 PM

I don't know if those would be binoculars, but I imagine that the use of our two eyes should be mandatory and observing would be like standing or sitting in a device, imagine like sitting in the center of a planetarium, and then zooming in into any object, but still seeing everything without any edges (AFOV bigger than you can take; something like 200 deg, so no edges), like regular viewing (imagine zooming in in a digital planetarium) but all, of course, in real time.

brentwood
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 11/04/05

Loc: BC Canada
Re: 2113 : A Binocular Space Odyssey new [Re: Andresin150]
      #5528284 - 11/19/12 04:00 PM

It's funny that you should say that as a few years ago, you could actually look through the 72" that they have at our local observatory. My wife just could not get over that you still had to look through a small eyepiece with one eye. She was sure that with a scope of that size, you would be looking with both eyes at an eyepiece the size of a TV.
As it happens when we went back there a few years later, the scope was not set up to view visually & we did view it through a TV monitor!

faackanders2
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 03/28/11

Re: 2113 : A Binocular Space Odyssey new [Re: Andresin150]
      #5528730 - 11/19/12 08:23 PM

Wider AFOV (and corresponding TFOV).

Lighter larger stabilized binos.

marcelof
sage

Reged: 05/24/10

Loc: Necochea,Bs As,Argentina
      #5528793 - 11/19/12 08:56 PM

Quote:

I like this idea!

plyscope
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 11/23/06

Loc: Perth, West Australia
Re: 2113 : A Binocular Space Odyssey new [Re: marcelof]
      #5528806 - 11/19/12 09:03 PM

I like that idea too!

And this idea is very appealing.

calling for a new wide angle binocular

ronharper
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 02/14/06

Re: 2113 : A Binocular Space Odyssey new [Re: plyscope]
      #5529205 - 11/20/12 12:23 AM

In 100 years, the Nikon SE will have screw-adjustable eyecups, ED objectives, and waterproofing.
Ron

ChiroCop

Reged: 04/05/11

Loc: Fort Worth, TX.
Re: 2113 : A Binocular Space Odyssey new [Re: ronharper]
      #5529237 - 11/20/12 12:43 AM

Well, I often watch the History Channel. I see black/white WWII clips showing German Field Marshalls and American Generals walking around with binoculars. I realize this footage is 70 years old and ponder the quality of their binoculars in comparison to today's binoculars. Other than the introduction of roof prizms and better glass, have we seen a GIANT LEAP in their evolution? Those of you who collect military binoculars from WWI and WWII may be better at answering this.

Tony Flanders
Postmaster

Reged: 05/18/06

Loc: Cambridge, MA, USA
      #5529482 - 11/20/12 07:06 AM

Quote:

Other than the introduction of roof prisms and better glass, have we seen a GIANT LEAP in ... binoculars since World War II.

Actually, I don't think that better glass is much of an issue. First of all, there were already plenty of fancy glasses back then. Second of all, binoculars don't need fancy glass; they do just fine with old-fasioned crown and flint.

Probably the biggest change is improved air-to-glass coatings. That really adds up considering how many air-to-glass surfaces binoculars have.

And of course image stabilization is a radical change. But that's not an optical issue, and it has no effect when binocular are tripod-mounted.

Edited by Tony Flanders (11/20/12 07:08 AM)

RichD
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 11/08/07

Loc: Derbyshire, UK
Re: 2113 : A Binocular Space Odyssey new [Re: Tony Flanders]
      #5529569 - 11/20/12 08:17 AM

A big change has been the uniformity of the glass used. Old binos from the 30s and 40s often had bubbles, striations and inclusions in the prisms.

SMark
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 08/29/11

Loc: Atlanta, GA USA
Re: 2113 : A Binocular Space Odyssey new [Re: plyscope]
      #5530038 - 11/20/12 12:25 PM

Quote:

I like that idea too!

And this idea is very appealing.

calling for a new wide angle binocular

+1 on that idea!

We have some amazing ultra wide angle telescope eyepiece designs now. Adapting one of these to a FMC 8x42 porro prism design for a >75° AFOV with ED glass would give me my utlimate hand-held binocular.

Or make it 12x42 and add IS to it as well. It would be worth saving my money for...

Mr. Bill
Postmaster

Reged: 02/09/05

Loc: Northeastern Cal
Re: 2113 : A Binocular Space Odyssey new [Re: edwincjones]
      #5532320 - 11/21/12 01:53 PM

Quote:

....but mainly internet astronomy will take the place of actual observing and only a few of us will remain outside under the night sky edj

There may not be a night sky in 100 years if the current increase in light pollution and global warming continue.

edwincjones
Close Enough

Re: 2113 : A Binocular Space Odyssey new [Re: Mr. Bill]
      #5532555 - 11/21/12 04:06 PM

Quote:

Quote:

....but mainly internet astronomy will take the place of actual observing and only a few of us will remain outside under the night sky edj

There may not be a night sky in 100 years if the current increase in light pollution and global warming continue.

I hate it when my negative views are outdone,
especially when they are accurate

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
6 registered and 26 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Knuklhdastrnmr, WOBentley 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1738

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics