Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home page

Telescope Specific Forums >> Meade LX

Pages: 1
Markigno
sage

Reged: 01/09/10

Meade collimation problem? = poor quality control!
      #5527413 - 11/19/12 07:35 AM

Hello everyone, sometimes we talked about product quality control Meade and here I want to tell my experience.
A few years ago I bought a LX200R 12 "(now ACF) and immediately I noticed that optically was not right. I read a lot of the problems encountered by many CN users with poor collimation of the instrument, ie the shadow of secondary mirror, intra and extra focal images do not match. Jerry Wise has written extensively on this topic, assuming a bad orthogonality with respect to the mechanical axis of the primary mirror. Well, after many arguments read on the issue, I decided to contact a well-known Italian manufacturer of very good telescopes. He took to heart my problem and decided to inspect my instrument, correcting any defects.
After making a lot of testing to the optical bench interferometer through, found the following:
Primary mirror is not orthogonal with OTA, but manufactured well
Secondary mirror is not centered, but above worked very bad (only 1/3 of lambda) and with the edge retorted and covered by a plastic ring that reduces the diameter of 7mm.
Secondary mirror mounted concentrically not in his cell
Corrector plate, bad oriented. Matching the marks made by Meade, the result was very poor.
The center hole on the corrector is off-axis of 1.5 mm.
Actions taken:
Removing the primary and milling of the mirror on the back (base) of almost 1mm!
Machining of the secondary mirror, with elimination of the edge retorted (with a gain of more than 6mm in diameter on) and brought to 1/6 of lambda.
Corrector plate rotated of 16 respect to the original reference marks Meade.
After these interventions, the instrument is perfectly aligned optical / mechanical, with a final yield truly exceptional!
An excellent work carried out by an Italian craftsman, who managed to revive a telescope definitely worked very, very bad from Meade!
P.S. some users have reported these symptoms (shadow secondary mirror significantly different between intra and extra focal images) also in some telescope ACF series.
Marco

Edited by Markigno (11/19/12 07:43 AM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Bill Barlow
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 12/03/07

Loc: Overland Park KS
Re: Meade collimation problem? = poor quality control! new [Re: Markigno]
      #5528069 - 11/19/12 02:17 PM

Glad you got your Meade 12 ACF optical path aligned. I own the same scope and have not had these problems as it puts up some very nice visual views through the eyepiece.

Bill

Markigno
sage

Re: Meade collimation problem? = poor quality control! new [Re: Bill Barlow]
      #5528593 - 11/19/12 07:09 PM

Hi Bill,
Fortunately, I am aware that not all Meade telescopes have these problems and I am glad that your telescope is part of the many telescopes made by Meade well, who have no problem. However my telescope, apart the secondary mirror worked very badly, suffered from trivial errors assembly of the elements. These errors are clearly due to inattention during the assembly process, and not of construction, this can be easily solved in the factory, prior to shipment, with an adequate quality control of the finished product. I live in Europe and I was very lucky to find a very competent person who got their hands on work done bad from original factory, with a final cost relatively low. Here in Europe, a Meade between import taxes, the gain of official importer, the gain of the store affiliated to importer and the high cost of transport, brings the final cost of the telescope at the highest levels, far, far more expensive than in the U.S. despite the Euro / Dollar exchange favorable. If I had to ship back the telescope to Meade for correcting the problems, it would cost me a fortune, just for shipping. I do not think it is right to spend good money for bad products because not are controlled before shipping! This is a true injustice to the detriment of the end user, especially if it is thousands of miles away, on another continent. It's also true that today if a company does not perform internal quality controls, sooner or later is bound to fail miserably. Word of mouth through the internet too many unhappy customers, it can be a deadly weapon indeed.
Marco

Edited by Markigno (11/20/12 04:08 AM)

JerryWise
Postmaster

Reged: 12/26/03

Loc: Lexington, SC
      #5535305 - 11/23/12 11:34 AM

Excellent writeup Marco. I've been spoiled with some excellent scopes from Meade. A 10" LX200, and 10 RCX that were nearly perfect to my eyes. But then had some bad luck with a number of other models and sizes. Meade has fantastic potential but now and again a little trouble implementing. Glad to see all came out well with yours.

Markigno
sage

Re: Meade collimation problem? = poor quality control! new [Re: JerryWise]
      #5538299 - 11/25/12 05:41 AM

Hi Jerry, I want to thank you for your wonderful reports written about the problems with a few Meade telescopes yourself tested. I have read very carefully all that you have written on this topic and the possible causes yourself suppositories. All this helped me to understand if I had been able or not to solve the problem. Thanks to you, I realized that on my telescop it was necessary an operation by a skilled person in possession of adequate equipment and that I, alone, would not be able to solve the problem.
Marco

Edited by Markigno (11/25/12 05:44 AM)

JerryWise
Postmaster

Reged: 12/26/03

Loc: Lexington, SC
      #5544774 - 11/28/12 11:03 PM

Thank you for the compliments Marco. I owe Meade a lot of thanks for the great scopes and enjoyment I've experienced using their equipment over the years. It seems the QC problems are their weak point now. Sure hope they can work it out and best of luck with your refurbished scope.

Pages: 1

Extra information
2 registered and 9 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Starman27, Christopher Erickson, Starman81 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1378

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics