Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home page

Astrophotography and Sketching >> Solar System Imaging & Processing

Pages: 1
ToxMan
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 01/23/11

Loc: Tucson, Arizona, USA
Jump in aperture and all new learning curve
      #5528148 - 11/19/12 03:07 PM Attachment (15 downloads)

In 2011, I was having real good results with my Ultima 2000 getting some nice shots of Jupiter. But, I never dreamed of the can of worms I was opening when I purchased a C14. Missed most of Saturns apparition due to faulty secondary position and rough focuser (bent rod.)

Then, monsoon season ended and finally had some decent seeing, as evidenced by my Tucson neighbor, Az Frank's images. But, I got mush. Traded some e-mails with Glenn (Thanks!) and repeated star tests, reviewed the image train and reconfigured a couple things. Still had poor images in spite of average data. Glenn put me on a path to review my processing and look at what others were doing. I had totally changed the whole routine around regarding wavelets. And, feel I'm getting closer.

This image was taken a couple weeks ago, conditions 2/5 or maybe 3/5 at times, using black OTA C14, Powermate 2.5x, filter wheel and DMK31, 50% fill on histogram, 1/15 sec, 15fps, 750 frames per filter with 1650 final frames. Registax 6, AstraImage and Photoshop. Probably a little over-saturated in Photoshop...and, it wouldn't sharpen anymore than what is shown.

Edited by ToxMan (11/19/12 06:29 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
ToxMan
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Jump in aperture and all new learning curve new [Re: ToxMan]
      #5528151 - 11/19/12 03:07 PM Attachment (10 downloads)

I tried using my old C8 processing routines, which failed to bring out data. And, this is what things looked like the first attempt, with a little better conditions than what I had on Nov. 6th.

Edited by ToxMan (11/19/12 05:44 PM)

Az Frank
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 10/18/08

Loc: Tucson Arizona
Re: Jump in aperture and all new learning curve new [Re: ToxMan]
      #5528942 - 11/19/12 10:08 PM

Still a good effort Paul,hang in there. Seeing will always be the main determiner of your final result. A cam with higher fps helps because you will grab more decent frames when the seeing is good for those split seconds,plus you'll have more good frames to stack. Keep at it,those keepers are just around the corner. Listen to Glenn he helped me a bunch as well,he knows his stuff!

Edited by Az Frank (11/19/12 10:42 PM)

edsplace
sage

Reged: 11/02/11

Re: Jump in aperture and all new learning curve new [Re: Az Frank]
      #5528984 - 11/19/12 10:29 PM

Hang in there, aperture will make a huge differance. When I first set up my 16" it took a while for the system to feel comfortable and work correctly, then one night the seeing was great, the scope collimated correctly, and boughta bing baughta boom... I was happy

ToxMan
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Jump in aperture and all new learning curve new [Re: edsplace]
      #5529030 - 11/19/12 10:45 PM

You are so right, Frank. I gotta quit limping along at 15 frames a second and upgrade. Time for the DMK 618. Thanks for the encouragement, Ed. I have followed your trials and tribulations, too. Did you find yourself drastically altering your processing routines when you made the jump? I guess I'm looking for validation that a total re-vamp of processing is in order. I know Sunspot (Paul Maxson) had to re-work his routine when he made the jump from his Mewlon 250 to C14.

Paul

Edited by ToxMan (11/19/12 10:49 PM)

Pages: 1

Extra information
10 registered and 20 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TG, Starman81, bilgebay, WOBentley 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 312

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics