Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Reflectors

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
JohnMurphyRN
sage

Reged: 09/09/12

Loc: Near St Louis
Re: Would you buy a used XT12I Intelliscope? new [Re: BigC]
      #5524368 - 11/17/12 01:27 PM

Quote:

Well,I maintain that replacing all the optics is more than tweeking. If you have the mirror refigured it is no longer original specs,either. Recoating could be need from neglect ot age and really doesn't alter the design.

I f the scope as original was great then that is a good and useful bit of info.

It just bugs me when people have replaced all the major parts and then speak as though the item is original.

Another example was a review by an owner of a car that stated "replaced the motor at xx,xxx miles and the transmission at xx,xxx miles;an excellent car!" Note this was not a ad to sell the car as repaired but a review extolling its virtues.In my opinion,one doesn't need to replace the motor or transmission of an excellent car ,nor the mirrors of an excellent telescope.

So if one feels compelled to replace the primary mirror,secondary mirror and focuser of a telescope I can only conclude it didn't meet expectations or work well.

LOL, if I were the OP, I'd find his reply very relevant: He felt the need to replace the primary mirror and change a bunch of stuff. THAT speaks volumes . The OP's primary concern seems to be quality of the primary....

Edited by JohnMurphyRN (11/17/12 01:30 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
csrlice12
Postmaster

Reged: 05/22/12

Loc: Denver, CO
Re: Would you buy a used XT12I Intelliscope? new [Re: JohnMurphyRN]
      #5524461 - 11/17/12 02:22 PM

The OP stated it's a "newer" used scope. How "newer". If the socpe is only a couple of years old; as long as the original owner didn't leave the mirror exposed to the elements, it should be ok. And not too many people are going to invest it a 12" scope and trash it... There is that problem with Orion not supporting "used" scopes. If you can get the original sale paperwork though, there are workarounds (Orion doesn't know who you are or where you live; people move. Today, my name is Bob, cause that's what the sale papers say; and who knew Bob has the same address I do)

cliff mygatt
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 01/27/09

Loc: Kitsap County, WA
Re: Would you buy a used XT12I Intelliscope? new [Re: csrlice12]
      #5524660 - 11/17/12 04:37 PM

I replaced the primary mirror in my XT12i because Carl Zambuto was trying out a swap your mirror program for a Zambuto at a reduced cost and thought it was a very reasonable price so jumped at the chance to have a Zambuto mirror in the scope. I also decided to replace the secondary with a Protostar to "match" the Zambuto primary and have a world class optical train and attempt to push the scope to its fullest. I never intended, when I bought the scope, to swap out the mirrors but as I stated it was a good opportunity. That said, I was very pleased with the performance of the stock mirror and the scope overall for $600. Good Luck!

csrlice12
Postmaster

Re: Would you buy a used XT12I Intelliscope? new [Re: cliff mygatt]
      #5524672 - 11/17/12 04:46 PM

Hmmm, wander if Carl still has that program?

cliff mygatt
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 01/27/09

Loc: Kitsap County, WA
Re: Would you buy a used XT12I Intelliscope? new [Re: csrlice12]
      #5524689 - 11/17/12 04:53 PM

Drop him an email and ask, he is a very nice guy and easy to deal with. Good Luck!

bartine
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 10/03/07

Loc: Potomac, MD
Re: Would you buy a used XT12I Intelliscope? new [Re: cliff mygatt]
      #5525246 - 11/17/12 10:49 PM

Thanks to all for your feedback.

After talking to the seller, he went up a bit in price from what he was asking earlier.

Turned out there was someone else local with a nicely modified Lightbridge 16 - I'm checking it out tomorrow!

coopman
Post Laureate

Reged: 04/23/06

Loc: South Louisiana
Re: Would you buy a used XT12I Intelliscope? new [Re: bartine]
      #5525694 - 11/18/12 08:43 AM

I would never buy a used Orion scope or mount because of the fact that they won't sell you any parts if you need them.

BigC
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 09/29/10

Loc: SE Indiana
      #5525866 - 11/18/12 11:02 AM

Quote:

Thanks to all for your feedback.

After talking to the seller, he went up a bit in price from what he was asking earlier.

Turned out there was someone else local with a nicely modified Lightbridge 16 - I'm checking it out tomorrow!

Not many sellers raise the price during negotiations!?

A LightBridge 16 should get fainter fuzzies anyway;perhaps it will turn out for the best .

csrlice12
Postmaster

Re: Would you buy a used XT12I Intelliscope? new [Re: BigC]
      #5525992 - 11/18/12 12:06 PM

Not exactly a good selling tactic to raise the price when contacted......but then, he still has a 12XTi to use....

Gastrol
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 11/04/11

Loc: los angeles
      #5526112 - 11/18/12 01:07 PM

Quote:

Good luck with that....I'm sure it'll be nice.
I don't think I've ever seen a used Lightbridge for sale that has not been modified to some degree.

jgraham
Postmaster

Reged: 12/02/04

Loc: Miami Valley Astronomical Soci...
Re: Would you buy a used XT12I Intelliscope? new [Re: Gastrol]
      #5526698 - 11/18/12 07:40 PM

I absolutely love my LightBridge 16. I've made only a minor mods and a couple of simple ad-ons.

bartine
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 10/03/07

Loc: Potomac, MD
Re: Would you buy a used XT12I Intelliscope? [Re: jgraham]
      #5528911 - 11/19/12 09:56 PM

Ah Well. Went and checked out the LB 16. Unfortunately, the mirror had multiple pincusions all over it. I have too much ambient light in my viewing area - just couldn't pull the trigger.

Back to looking again.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
21 registered and 20 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  ausastronomer, Knuklhdastrnmr, Phillip Creed, JayinUT 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1689

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics