Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Reflectors

Pages: 1
ItsMeTony
journeyman

Reged: 02/21/08

Loc: Maryland
Orion XX12i new
      #5526267 - 11/18/12 02:42 PM

Hi all,
I'm thinking about buying an XX12i. I already own the XT8i. My question here is, Is this a worthwhile purchase? Are the views in the 12 that much better than the 8?

Thanks
Tony

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
skyward_eyes
Vendor - Sky-Watcher USA

Reged: 12/12/06

Loc: California
Re: Orion XX12i new [Re: ItsMeTony]
      #5526284 - 11/18/12 02:52 PM

The jump from an 8" to a 12" is a very good jump. I think you are making a good choice.

csrlice12
Postmaster

Reged: 05/22/12

Loc: Denver, CO
      #5526289 - 11/18/12 02:55 PM

The recommened jump is from 8" to 12". that'll give you at least 1mag of better resolution. It is definitely also a step up in speed. The 12" is much faster. I don't know what eyepieces you have, but the 12" is going to require a Paracorr (for coma) and premium eyepieces like the ES or Televues, Pentax, etc...)

Noted Kevin is from Woodland Hills. Good company that. Had some good dealings with them.

Edited by csrlice12 (11/18/12 02:57 PM)

JohnMurphyRN
sage

Reged: 09/09/12

Loc: Near St Louis
      #5526370 - 11/18/12 03:49 PM

Quote:

Hi all,
I'm thinking about buying an XX12i. I already own the XT8i. My question here is, Is this a worthwhile purchase? Are the views in the 12 that much better than the 8?

Thanks
Tony

12" is roughly double the light grasp of the 8". Since you already have the push-to in the 8", do you need to duplicate it in the 12"?

joelimite
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 09/01/08

Loc: Fayetteville, AR
Re: Orion XX12i new [Re: JohnMurphyRN]
      #5527016 - 11/18/12 10:50 PM

I upgraded from an XT8 a year ago. The difference is definitely worthwhile. Clusters are richer and galaxies begin to reveal some detail. The views of Jupiter, Mars, and Saturn I've had are simply astounding. I've only used my XT8 once or twice since receiving the bigger scope, if that tells you anything.

TexasRed
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 05/17/11

Loc: East Texas
Re: Orion XX12i new [Re: joelimite]
      #5527041 - 11/18/12 11:05 PM

That's the step up that I'd recommend. Unless you want to add GoTo and automatic tracking and want to go with the XT12g. That automatic tracking is pretty nice!

Jeff Porter

Reged: 09/03/10

Loc: Utah
Re: Orion XX12i new [Re: TexasRed]
      #5527082 - 11/18/12 11:44 PM

I love my XX12!! I had a 10" but I felt that the move to the 12 was worth it for DSOs and especially for galaxies. If you really like DSOs, and can get to a dark sky site, I think you will be very satisfied. If DSOs are not really your thing then I would reconsider this decision.

Just be prepared for two things where I think the 8" is better than the 12".

First is that the 12" truss will take a bit more time to set up. I have kept mine assembled in my garage at times so that i could just moved the base and then then then scope like I did with my 10", but this may not be an option for everyone.

Second is accessibility for kids if you do much outreach. With the 12" you will definitely want a stepladder for the kids to use.

The question on how essential a coma corrector is at f/5 is an ongoing debate. I use one because I already had one for my 10" scope at f/4.7. I know a lot of experienced observers who do not bother with a coma corrector at f/5.

The last thing I will ask is that considering your location is listed as Maryland, are you looking for new or used? If you are looking for something new I might also consider spending a little more and get a better scope on the used market. Otherwise the Orion is a very capable telescope.

-Jeff P

TopherTheME
sage

Reged: 02/11/11

Loc: Rochester, MI
Re: Orion XX12i new [Re: Jeff Porter]
      #5527097 - 11/18/12 11:52 PM

I've got one and I love it. Certainly worth the jump. I'd recommend good eyepieces (I use the ES 82*'s) but I don't think a coma corrector is required. My brain does a pretty good job correcting the coma in eyepiece so I don't ever notice it unless I look really really hard for it. I've noticed the "more experienced" astronomer tends to notice it more which I'm guessing is because I have young eyes.

paul hart
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 06/01/04

Loc: Long Island, New York
Re: Orion XX12i new [Re: TopherTheME]
      #5528930 - 11/19/12 10:05 PM

I don't think you NEED a Parcorr with a f/4.9 although it couldn't hurt. My only experience looking through an XT12 was at a star party with a Stratus 13mm. I have to say it was spectacular. I consider myself somewhat of an eyepiece snob, and that Stratus really impressed me. As far as an 8 inch vs. a 12 inch. The 12 inch will blow the 8 away.

Jeff Porter

Reged: 09/03/10

Loc: Utah
Re: Orion XX12i [Re: paul hart]
      #5528962 - 11/19/12 10:18 PM

Yes, the 12" is very capable.

At this summer's star festival at Great Basin National Park using my XX12 with a Paracorr and 13mm Ethos, the spiral arms of M51 were easily traced with direct vision all the way to the companion NGC 5195. Of course those are some of the darkest skies I have ever seen.

-Jeff P

coopman
Post Laureate

Reged: 04/23/06

Loc: South Louisiana
Re: Orion XX12i new [Re: Jeff Porter]
      #5529588 - 11/20/12 08:31 AM

My 10" is noticably better than my 8", so I'm sure that the jump from 8" to 12" will be a very worthwhile one, if you can handle the bulk and weight of the 12".

coutleef
Post Laureate

Reged: 02/21/08

Loc: Saint-Donat, Quebec, Canada
Re: Orion XX12i new [Re: coopman]
      #5530397 - 11/20/12 03:12 PM

i went from a 8 inch SCT to a 12 inch dob and thejump is very noticeable in many ways.

you will see more. i find a coma corrector is needed but your mileage may vary. not mentionned yet but i found that at f/5 you will need good collimation tools because that scope will be more sensiive to miscollimation than your 8 inch.

Starman81
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 03/06/08

Loc: Metro Detroit, MI, USA
Re: Orion XX12i new [Re: coutleef]
      #5530773 - 11/20/12 06:31 PM

XT8i to XX12i? Great move, I say! I plan on doing the same one day. I would not do away with the XT8i though. For me, it is so portable, I use it like a grab'n'go, honestly. If it weren't for cool down time needed in the colder months, it would be a true grab'n'go. So I say keep the XX12i for those dark site trips or nights when you have more time/energy and keep the XT8i for those nights you do not.

Pages: 1

Extra information
16 registered and 16 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  ausastronomer, Phillip Creed, JayinUT, okieav8r 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 875

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics