Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Astrophotography and Sketching >> Beginning and Intermediate Imaging

Pages: 1
cphk96

Reged: 11/01/07

Loc: North Hollywood, CA
Newbie has many questions to ask. new
      #5528064 - 11/19/12 02:14 PM

Hello All

I purchased a Canon t3 about a year ago, and I took a couple of general photography classes.

Now I would like to use my camera for astronomy, but don't have a clue.

I would like to do star trails, also planets and bright stars without a telescope. I want to photograph the moon.

Later, I would like to start using a telescope.

What would be some good books that would address shooting the night sky without a telescope, then progress to utilizing a telescope?

Also, what adapter would I use for a Meade LXD55 6" refractor and a Celestron Nexstar 4"?

TIA
Chris

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Mike Wiles
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 02/04/09

Loc: Goodyear, AZ
Re: Newbie has many questions to ask. new [Re: cphk96]
      #5528086 - 11/19/12 02:29 PM

http://astropix.com/BGDA/INTRO.HTM

gavinm
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 08/26/05

Loc: Auckland New Zealand
Re: Newbie has many questions to ask. new [Re: Mike Wiles]
      #5528718 - 11/19/12 08:15 PM

Star Trails are easy and only need a tripod, some way of triggering the shutter and some software, eg

http://www.startrails.de/html/software.html

Phil Sherman
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 12/07/10

Loc: Cleveland, Ohio
Re: Newbie has many questions to ask. [Re: gavinm]
      #5529262 - 11/20/12 01:12 AM

Planets will not be possible with just a camera. They're small objects and usually require something longer than 3000mm for a decent sized image. A 400mm lens should give you a full moon image that's a bit less than half the size of the short dimension of the frame.

The simplest way to get star images is to use a short focal length lens and a "barn door" mount. You can build the mount with simple hand tools for a bit less than $10. It should easily allow you to take 30-60 second exposures.

You'll want to get a copy of Registax to allow you to stack images. Do some research on the web and learn about lights, darks, flats, flat darks and bias frames. Photoshop is a great program for applying finishing touches to astro images but isn't the best tool to use for initial processing. Registax is an astro tailored program which easily does all of the things that Photoshop was never designed to do. Other software, much cheaper than Photoshop is available that will do just about everything. Pixinsight is one, ImagesPlus another. IRIS, a freebee from government research is also available but it has a user interface that's alien to anyone who hasn't spent lots of time doing scientific image analysis.

Phil

Pages: 1

Extra information
19 registered and 16 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  nitegeezer, WOBentley, dr.who, rflinn68 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 301

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics