Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Equipment

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)
Shneor
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 03/01/05

Loc: Northern California
Re: True cost of astronomy? new [Re: starrancher]
      #5526734 - 11/18/12 07:55 PM

All I can say is that it's been money well spent...for me and everyone who has viewed using my equipment. And I still have another eyepiece on order.

Clears,

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
A. Viegas
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 03/05/12

Loc: New York City/ CT
Re: True cost of astronomy? new [Re: Shneor]
      #5526774 - 11/18/12 08:23 PM

The cost of Astronomy as a hobby is more a function of time than actual dollars. There are so many other popular pursuits such as season tickets to a pro sports team or golf club memberships that can truly trivialize what the $ cost are in this hobby... As many have already said, it's more how it makes us happy, and fulfills some aspect of our personalities that makes it meaningful. What is that worth? I suspect it's not a question of $, rather it's a question of fulfillment. For some that could be a store bought $50 achromatic and for others it may be a plane wave 24"...

Al

Starboat

Reged: 03/14/12

Loc: Texas
Re: True cost of astronomy? new [Re: A. Viegas]
      #5527057 - 11/18/12 11:16 PM

The thing I like about astronomy is that you can spend a little or a lot, its up to you.

bassplayer142
professor emeritus

Reged: 10/03/11

Loc: Michigan
Re: True cost of astronomy? new [Re: RTLR 12]
      #5527129 - 11/19/12 12:13 AM

I've had hobbies that costed me 5$ all the up to several thousand and they all are fun. If I can't justify the cost, I never would have started any of them to begin with.

Just thinking how much money I've spent on beer.... maybe that's why i started brewing it!

Edited by bassplayer142 (11/19/12 02:00 AM)

GeneT
Ely Kid

Reged: 11/07/08

Loc: South Texas
Re: True cost of astronomy? new [Re: kbastro]
      #5527153 - 11/19/12 12:30 AM

Quote:

traveling more than 150,000 miles

kbastro
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 04/20/08

Loc: Running from Clouds
Re: True cost of astronomy? new [Re: GeneT]
      #5527236 - 11/19/12 01:26 AM

yes 150,000 miles!

50+ trips yearly to a dark site 40 miles away + annual trips to flordia wsp and arizona over 12 times and death valley too from the mid plains stretched over 18 years tends to add up on the odometer,,,

kev b

Raginar
Post Laureate

Reged: 10/19/10

Loc: Rapid CIty, SD
      #5527964 - 11/19/12 01:27 PM

Astronomy isn't that bad. Compared to 4-wheelers, hunting, general aviation... the list can be horrendous when you compare a small telescope collection to the price of an airplane!

People buy what they can, and at least in astronomy you can usually re-sell it to the next guy who wants to give it a whirl. Can't say the same about a used boat or 4-wheeler .

csrlice12
Postmaster

Reged: 05/22/12

Loc: Denver, CO
Re: True cost of astronomy? new [Re: Raginar]
      #5528068 - 11/19/12 02:16 PM

Ok, whose gonna spring for one of those new obrbital plane trips into space and take along a set on binocs????

rdandrea
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 06/13/10

Loc: Colorado, USA DM59ra
      #5528144 - 11/19/12 03:06 PM

I like to tie trout flies. I probably have much more invested in feathers than astro gear. Have you priced a top-quality rooster saddle lately? And you need several colors. And you need capes too, not just saddles. And hen feathers. And wood duck feathers. And mallard feathers. And peacock feathers. And starling feathers--the list goes on and on.

And that doesn't even include the cost of rods, reels, waders, line, leaders, tippet, and the cost of gas to go fishing.

Or maybe you don't need all that stuff.

I guess my point is that the cost of a hobby is what you make it.

Edited by rdandrea (11/19/12 03:34 PM)

GeneT
Ely Kid

Reged: 11/07/08

Loc: South Texas
      #5528173 - 11/19/12 03:19 PM

Quote:

yes 150,000 miles!

50+ trips yearly to a dark site 40 miles away + annual trips to flordia wsp and arizona over 12 times and death valley too from the mid plains stretched over 18 years tends to add up on the odometer,,,kev b

I applaud you! I truly do!

csrlice12
Postmaster

Re: True cost of astronomy? new [Re: GeneT]
      #5528240 - 11/19/12 03:43 PM

"Have you priced a top-quality rooster saddle lately?"

Can't say that I have; but then, I don't ride roosters.....

rdandrea
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 06/13/10

Loc: Colorado, USA DM59ra
Re: True cost of astronomy? new [Re: csrlice12]
      #5528246 - 11/19/12 03:46 PM

George Methvin
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 01/30/06

Loc: Central Texas
Re: True cost of astronomy? new [Re: rdandrea]
      #5528294 - 11/19/12 04:05 PM

Funny the more I stay away from reading the CN forums the less I spend. Its like going in to a bar everyones drinking so you feel the need for a drink also. . I can just hear the guys pleading with there wifes after reading on CN about all the folks that have bought new shinny toys " OH honey all the other guy have one why can't I have one too" Spend that money you can't take it with you when you die so why leave any behind. Clear sky and happy spending.

Meade 10 LX200 classic
Orion EON 120mm ed refractor.
12 eyepeices
WO Binoviewer.

Edited by George Methvin (11/19/12 04:11 PM)

evilmedic13

Reged: 06/23/12

Loc: Chicago,Il
Re: True cost of astronomy? new [Re: George Methvin]
      #5529155 - 11/19/12 11:51 PM

Between photography and my motorcycles, this is a cheap hobby, for now. I've got more invested in building my plastic models than this as well. The most expensive pursuits I've ever had, were women and beer. The women were well worth it, the beer? I wish I had that money back.
As far as this and my photography goes, I justify it knowing that if my son picks up the interest, all the glass will be his to enjoy. Then again, if he turns out like his mom, the gear is doomed.

pogobbler
sage

Reged: 09/30/08

Loc: Central Indiana, USA
Re: True cost of astronomy? new [Re: stevenf]
      #5529327 - 11/20/12 02:45 AM

Quote:

I think this hobby would be a lot cheaper if it weren't for sites like this one convincing us that we need bigger, better, faster, more!!!!

A website can't convince you to spend more, other people can't convince you to spend more... only you can convince yourself to spend more.

RTLR 12
Post Laureate

Reged: 12/04/08

Loc: The Great Pacific NorthWest
Re: True cost of astronomy? [Re: pogobbler]
      #5529362 - 11/20/12 04:19 AM

I have to agree with Tom. A web site(SPEND MORE MONEY) can't convince you spend more, other people (SPEND MORE MONEY) can't convince you spend more...only you can (SPEND MORE MONEY) convince yourself to spend more. It's not like there are subliminal messages here on CN (SPEND MORE MONEY)

Stan

csrlice12
Postmaster

Re: True cost of astronomy? new [Re: RTLR 12]
      #5529585 - 11/20/12 08:30 AM

There are (spend) No sublimingal (more) messages (money)here. Thank You--this is a public spending message brought to you by the Spend More Money Society.

Edited by csrlice12 (11/20/12 08:32 AM)

FirstSight
Duke of Deneb

Reged: 12/26/05

Loc: Raleigh, NC
Re: True cost of astronomy? new [Re: Messyone]
      #5529740 - 11/20/12 10:15 AM

Quote:

The true cost of Astronomy is nothing compared to the cost of my 12 year old daughters ballet classes over the last 5 years
Matt

My other serious hobby than astronomy provides a wonderfully illustrative example. This past weekend, I made roughly $300 refereeing competitive-level U16B soccer games in a huge three-day weekend college showcase tournament, where teams from all over the eastern half of the country came to Raleigh. For example, one of the games I worked was between a U16 team from Houston, Texas vs a team from Kentucky, and there were many teams here from Florida or north up to New York. Soccer teams at this level travel to two, three or more such tournaments each season, in addition to traveling around their local region for regular-season league games. If you are the parents of a serious competitive-level soccer player, now THERE'S an expensive vicarious hobby, and many of the parents also paid to travel with their player to watch the games. Let's see: motel room for three nights, travel costs (really long car trip or flight), meals out, and we haven't got to fees for the soccer-club, tournament entry fees, training fees, etc.

This past weekend alone probably cost an Ethos or two per player. I'm happy that some of that money is flowing downhill into my pockets to finance my astro-equipment and other indulgences. It's even worth getting barked at by surly 16-year old boys and surly coaches with English accents and parents who think they've paid for the privilige of complaining about the refs.

Edited by FirstSight (11/20/12 10:22 AM)

SKYGZR
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 08/14/09

Loc: Planet Earth, Milky Way Galaxy...
Re: True cost of astronomy? new [Re: FirstSight]
      #5530926 - 11/20/12 07:55 PM

The only way the "cost" goes away is when one leaves the hobby..no matter what that may be. "Women" seem to be the most expensive...(sorry ladies).

jgraham
Postmaster

Reged: 12/02/04

Loc: Miami Valley Astronomical Soci...
Re: True cost of astronomy? new [Re: SKYGZR]
      #5530956 - 11/20/12 08:09 PM

I'm not so sure about the cost, but the value is tremendous.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)

Extra information
8 registered and 41 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  zjc26138, tecmage, rflinn68 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3757

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics