Speciality Forums >> Astro Art, Books, Websites & Other Media

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)
rinalmj
sage

Reged: 11/23/09

Loc: Saxonburg, PA
Re: New Edition of Uranometria 2000 new [Re: okieav8r]
      #5690770 - 02/20/13 12:23 PM

I've seen those, but thanks for the response. I was hoping for some pictures from users that show different views.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Starman1
Vendor (EyepiecesEtc.com)

Reged: 06/24/03

Loc: Los Angeles
Re: New Edition of Uranometria 2000 new [Re: rinalmj]
      #5690850 - 02/20/13 01:02 PM

Quote:

Does anyone have pictures of the new edition that you could share? I've been looking into buying this but pictures on the internet are very scarce.

I'd also be interested to hear general impressions (in addition to those given above) specific to the new edition.

A couple specific concerns that I have are:

1. How does the physical format work? Is the binding good? Does it stay open when you turn to a page? Do the charts fold-out?

2. Given the large volume of information, how crowded do the charts look?

The format works fine--the same as the separate volumes.
The binding is heavy paper sewn into signatures and very well-bound.
It stays open when you open to a page, though near either end of the book the pages tend to not lie flat. It helps that the first chart is several pages into the book.
The charts go from left of left page across the binding to right side of right page. They do not fold out.

The charts are surprisingly uncrowded, which is the plus side of the mag. 9.75 limit. There are some large scale charts with stars (in some cases) to mag.15 in the back of the atlas, but if the atlas had been that scale it would have been 4000+ pages.

One criticism leveled at U2000 is that with 30,000+ thousand DSOs, the magnitude stellar limit is not deep enough to allow identification of an individual galaxy in crowded regions, and that is more-or-less true. There may not be any stars within the field of view of the galaxy in your scope that are plotted in U2000. But the alternative is either a lot more crowded pages (see the mag.13 atlas in the "Tri-Atlas" of Torres) or a larger scale, with a correspondingly more-difficult-to-use format.

These days you can always print large scale charts with stars to magnitude 16 from any one of innumerable free computer atlases if you need to identify several faint galaxies in a small area. Though, I've found U2000 adequate in many star-poor areas to identify the arrangement of galaxy groups so that I can make notes about the objects.

The new atlas is less than twice as thick as each of the two volumes in the earlier edition. The Deep Sky Field Guide (orig. Vol.3) still applies to the new printing and so is still a good reference volume for the atlas.
I miss the index tabs for the RA and Dec, but I like the one-volume arrangement.

cliff mygatt
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 01/27/09

Loc: Kitsap County, WA
Re: New Edition of Uranometria 2000 new [Re: Starman1]
      #5716029 - 03/06/13 09:22 AM

I just ordered mine and am looking forward to lightening the load of my field library!

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)

Extra information
5 registered and 6 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Geo557, kkokkolis 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 6790

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics